Optical equipment for tactical rifles/carbines

In some respects the fact that your range officer has only recently been certified might be a good thing. If he is new AND ENTHUSIASTIC about his job he might push for more training, he might try some new things from time to time and if you are lucky he will ask arround to other agencys and see what others do.
My ideas on qualification might not be best for law enforcment use, all my experience is military and nothing fancy at that. It's just that we aren't so picky about collateral damage. I also believe a good bit of your shooting should be at moving targets and with the shooter moving. Unfortunately bolth are hard to do. Few ranges can run moving targets and those that can don't have the time to run individuals through (as opposed to groups). Shooting on the move raises some safety concerns in groups (kinda like live fire line dancing) and once again individual training is time intensive. I have a friend in the Singapore army who says they add physical stress to their qualification but I am outside the bounds of this discussion group so I need to get back on topic. Sorry I digress.
I too like the red dot sights but I am afraid that if I grow accustomed to them Murphy will step in and my batteries will be dead when I need them. Special Operations units insert fresh batteries when they need to use theirs, a luxury you and I aren't likely to afford. I am hoping to learn more about the Trijicon Reflex II as that could solve the battery problem, until then the best solution is probably iron sights backed up with a good tactical light.

I would love to see something like the trijicon ACOG 4x32 w/ tritium triangle,
but in a 1x to 4x variable,
maybe w/ a longer tube so that the open sites on top would have a little longer radius.
Can anyone comment on the open sites on top of either the ACOG or the Steyr AUG scope?

Flat-tops are a must for any accuracy shooting, you can't do any better than Leupold for the money. Save the Ruger for shots of fifty feet or less

Rover
The sights on the ACOG TA01NSN are reasonable out to 30 yards on a man sized target, that is about all I can comment on as that is all I have done. I did have to drift the front sight as it shot about one foot left at fifty feet but I can live with that. I have done SOME shooting with the AUG and it's sight/scope setup and I was not impressed. the field of view is too narrow in the scope for my liking but as it is only 1.5x I guess it is OK. Really didn't like the fixed sights, I am prejudiced in favor of apeture sights on rifles.

Bill Wilson has entered the AR-15 market. You can see his wares at www.wilsoncombat.com

I found it interesting that their UT-15 "urban tactical" rifle features the Leupold Vari-X II 1x-4x scope that I recommended for such use early in this thread. I don't care much for Wilson mount (it permits the user to use iron sights beneath the scope and, as a result, mounts the scope waaaaay too high), but he's a pretty smart fellow on his choice of optic.

Rosco

Back