Opinions Please

I have an STI Trojan 9mm 1911, and it’s the best 9mm I own. I would jump at the opportunity to own another Trojan in .45ACP but these are discontinued and reasonably priced used examples don’t exist. I would definitely consider the Staccato-C, based on my experience with my 9mm Trojan.

I don’t know that you could have a 9mm 1911 carry gun built by a pistolsmith for anywhere close to the cost of that Staccato-C.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the replies to my post. I have made a purchase decision and decided to go with a Dan Wesson Vigil CCO. My local friend and FFL agent is a fan of Dan Wessons and after conducting a lot of research on the web, factoring into it some bias, I think the Vigil will fit the bill of CCW and home defense (along with my AR).https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/vigil-cco/
Thanks again y'all for your input.

You can't go wrong with Dan Wesson 1911s. IIRC, I have 9 and counting. The lightweight CCO sized pistols are my favorite for carry. I don't have the Vigil CCO sized but do have a couple of lightweight CCO sized pistols from DW. The guts in all of them are the same. As I said, you can't go wrong with them. Even if the pistol has a problem, DW has excellent warranty service.

Just looked that Dan Wesson up on their site...Officer's model grip length and a Commander length bbl. That's a prescription for a superb carry piece. My Sig RCS shares the same specs and it's the big bore of choice when I carry in town. Mine's carried, OWB, in an Avenger style holster that rides high, but not so high to hinder the draw movement. I like it a lot and find that most t-shirts adequately cover it, even in summer. Congratulations on a fine choice. I take it that you settled on a .45ACP as that's all that's mentioned in the published specs...that too, is a fine choice.

Rod

Hey Rod,
I choose one in the 9mm cartridge. I have owned and shot the .45 and found it's "push" ,as compared to the snap of the .40 ,to be much more desirable.
I know some disagree on owning the 1911 platform in 9mm, rather than the well established .45, but I prefer the 9mm.
Thanks for your reply,
Brad

I have the SA Range Officer Elite compact in 9MM.

Lovely little weapon. Ergonomic and accurate, but like all 1911s, HEAVY!

If you're comfortable with something that heavy for CCW, you won't be disappointed.

If you want a compact 9 MM for concealed carry, go with a Glock 26, or a single stack version, over ANY 1911 compact. Chopped 1911's are prone to stoppages.

John Browning designed the 1911 to have a certain amount of mass machined into the slide. When that mass starts getting reduced to the size of these chopped Mini 1911's, reliability quickly departs. (Commander sized guns are the only exception to this).

The reason is in order to compensate for the loss in slide mass, they have to run the slide velocity much faster. This creates feeding issues because things start happening too fast. Not to mention the guns beat themselves to death in short order.

Yeah, I know guys are going to come back and say how wonderful their chopped 1911's run. But the fact is if you talk to most ANY trainer out there, they will tell you they are one of the most problem plagued pistols they see come through their classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P0edDYdqXU&list=FLo60rFIhcgZ4YWMKRZp_eUQ&index=103&t=15s

Colts hold there value. My only Colt is a LW Commander but in .45...perceived recoil, in my hands, is no more than a full size, all steel 1911.

Concealability, in a Milt Sparks SS, IWB is excellent. Also carries well in a Don Hume pancake OWB.

IMO, even though I have one in .45, a 9mm Commander, that is proven reliability wise, would be the ideal pistol for CC. I always shoot 1911s better than any other auto pistol. And knowing 1911s, the key hear is proven. This is certain with any handgun but especially 1911s.

Last edited:
Back