opinions on the legendary.44 mag revolver

Versatility: One gun shoots 44 Spec or 44 Mag.

Availability: Although not cheap, 44 Mag is one of the "popular" calibers, which means you can usually find what you need at "popular" prices.

Mine is a Ruger 7.5" SRH with a 2x scope. I use it for hunting, target and just plain shootin'. As a handloader, the range of 44 Spec & Mag loadings & availability of componens allow me to do almost anything I want very economically.

I have 3 44 mags and a 44 special. I love that cartridge. It is great for Javelina and fun to shoot. When you reload it the cost is not really that bad.

I have a 3" MagnaPorted 629 and a 4 5/8" Bisley Vaquero.

Neither of them is the beast to shoot that you'd think they'd be.

Reasonably priced shootin' ammo is available from Winchester in the USA white box stuff as well as from MagTech and others.

I own a Desert Eagle, 29-2, 4 in bbl, and an Anaconda. Love the guns and the cartridge. I'm currently reloading to save on the cost of ammo, and have a 200 gr bullet at 1600 fps :D

My take on the 44 Magnum is a bit different than others. I don't like shooting 44 Specials in them as it makes cleaning the chambers a pain. I save the Specials for 44 Special handguns. Likewise, I also have a lever action rifle in that chambering (Browning B-92). It's fun to shoot but I always wonder why, if I'm going to carry something that big shouldn't it be a real rifle caliber?

As to the Magnum itself, mine is a 4 5/8" Blackhawk (Flattop). the barrel was cut down and a steel gripframe was added. I prefer Elmer Keith's original loads that delivered about 1200 fps with 250g cast bullets. This is not a heavy magnum load but heavy enough to distinguish it from the Special. It will do about anything a reasonable person needs a handgun to do. I can shoot it for extended periods and it doesn't beat up the gun or me.

Most people like to hot rod the 44 magnum and see how much they can get out of it. My take is more conservative. To each his own.

Dave T: I agree! I've had my SBH for a year and put around 1500+ .44 Magnum rounds through it, and 0 Specials. Compared to a Magnum, a Special isn't very special. :) Dennis

I don't find the recoil to be that bad. Not much worse than a heavy .357. The .357 is good, but it has its limitations. The .44 will cover anything you need it to do, and unless you're purposefully going out and hunting Grizzly, it's all you'll ever need or want. I prefer the SBH over the others. I find it handles recoil better. Most people make the mistake of holding it with a death grip. You have to let it roll in the hand. It's not bad at all.

Please explain to me how shooting .44 Specials make the cylinder any more difficult to clean. I can understand that if you were shooting .44 Specials and then, without cleaning the gun you want to shoot magnums that they might be difficult to load. But I can't see how it would be any more difficult to clean.

I personally shoot pretty much full house loads in any gun I own. I shoot .44 Magnum loads out of my SBH. I shoot .357 loads in my .357 guns etc. One exception to that is my Model 29. I have already had problems with it, so after I got it fixed, I have only fired .44 Special loads out of .44 Special brass. I use the .44 Special brass so that I don't get that ammo confused with the loads for my SBH. The loads I shoot out of my SBH are often full house loads that I wouldn't really want to shoot out of my Model 29.

Back