opinions on the legendary.44 mag revolver

speed

I would be interested in hearing some disscusion on this powerfull cartridge.

I don't have a specific question but I would like to hear from those who own or shoot the .44,

My only experience with it is the ruger redhawk that I rented at an outdoor range,it was very expensive to rent and shoot but I had to try it,I really enjoyed it but I just don't know enough about the caliber to justify purchasing one.

Let me know your experiences with it and try to discuss it's practical uses,limitations,etc...

I'm still pretty new to tfl and I would like in the future to discuss other calibers in depth one at a time ,Has this been done?,if so was it done in a satisfactory way?

Would anyone else enjoy participating in such disscusion?

I think it would be a great help to many including myself and I look foward to your responses.

I like to think of the 44 Magnum as the most powerful "common" handgun cartridge around. It isn't exactly overkill when you use it for defense, but it is still ample to take out most of this nation's largest predators.

speed: Hi! I don't need a .44 Magnum. I don't hunt for a variety of reasons and handgun hunting is one of the best reasons for needing a .44 Mag. Most weekends I do hit the mountain trails here in Utah and there are bears, but again for a variety of reasons I carry a .357 Magnum and not a .44. I've got other guns, .357 Magnums, 9 mm, .45 ACP that are much better for self defense, so I don't plan on/practice with a .44 Magnum for this purpose.

Nevertheless, I do own a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel and Ajax Ivory Polymer grips. I've shot 1000s of rounds through it at the range. I do so for the same reason I own and shoot 1000s of rounds through my Ruger Super Single Six with its .22 LR cylinder - it's just plain and simple too much fun to shoot these guns. The .44 Magnum SBH is heavy, it's expensive to shoot (although I do recycle all my .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 ACP brass to reloaders so I save lots that way) and it takes awhile for most folks to adjust to its recoil, but it sure is fun to shoot and learn to hit them targets out there at 50 yards+ with accuracy.

By the way, nowadays the .44 Magnum is considered by many to be the gateway to really powerful big bore revolvers like the .480, .454, .475 and .500 and not the "King of the Big Bores." Be that as it may, they're still a blast and in a SA revolver like a Ruger or FA that have a good trigger they aren't that hard to learn to shoot well with. Have fun! :) Dennis

For some reason the .44 Magnum has just never interested me all that much, and I can't figure out why.

I love the .357 Mag., and I'm quickly finding out what a wonderful cartridge the .41 Magnum is, but the .44? No real desire to have one.

Forty four to handguns is what .308 is to rifles. Lots of different ammunitions available, found just about anywhere and inexpensive compared to other big bore cartridges. And although it is not the most powerful handgun cartridge around, it does the job 100 percent of the time, providing that you do yours. It is also very versatile, reliable and accurate.

Robert

True confession time.

Yes, I admit I bought a .44Magnum Virgina Dragoon because at the time it was the most powerful commercial handgun made according to the movies and the trade rags.

Yes, I admit (hanging my head) I was a Dirty Harry wannabe, and bought a Smith Model 29 .44 Magnum because Harry had one.

I kept both because I discovered how great the .44 caliber can be if loaded right. I also love the .357 magnum as well as a heavy .45Colt. Funny though, I haven't been bitten by the .41/10mm/.40S&W bug,,,least not yet, and I don't have much desire to go above the.44 mag to something like the .454 cas. The .50AE looks,,,um,,,interesting though.

99% of the 44's that shoot are loaded to 44 Sp velocity. I think that you have to reload to shoot this caliber very much. I greatly enjoy the round and my Smith 29.

Accurate, punchy, makes big holes, lovely sound, great pocket gun. 44 special was a wonderful cartridge for many many years, the mag varient is like the special with a blower. Don't have to use it all but it is there when asked.

Sam

99% of the 44's that shoot are loaded to 44 Sp velocity. I think that you have to reload to shoot this caliber very much. I greatly enjoy the round and my Smith 29.

Ditto, except mine is a Super Blackhawk.

I use my Ruger Super Redhawk for deer hunting. It has a 7.5" barrel and wears a 4X Leupold scope. I killed a spike buck with it about two weeks ago at 110 yards using Garrett Cartridges 310gr Hammerhead ammo. One shot. I have an open-sighted S&W 29 zeroed at 25 yards with my handloads. The 44 is an effective hunting cartridge, and I've seen them used quite effectively at bowling pin shoots. As ammo is not inexpensive, it helps if you handload for this caliber. Depending upon the load, recoil in this caliber ranges from very substantial to mild.

The .44 Mag is one of my faviorite handgun cartridges. I hadn't really thought about it until you asked. I have two; A 7 1/2" Ruger SuperBlackhawk and a 4" S&W 29 (tricked out by Jack Weigand). The first thing I like about the .44 is that it seems to be a very accurate cartridge. At least I seem to shoot it well compared to other handgun cartridges. My Model 29 may be the most accurate handgun I own. It is a very versitile cartridge. I personally don't think I would enjoy shooting if I didn't reload. The .44 allows bullets from 180 grains to over 300 grains. You can load it mild or you can load it hot. I shoot a lot of 240 grain cast bullets. The put nice big round holes in paper targets and when you are shooting an accurate gun, it give me great satisfaction to see those groups take shape on the target. It is a fine cartridge for long range plinking. It shoots flat for a handgun, it kicks up a lot of dust to spot your shots, and it retains enough energy to still pack a punch at long range. It is a good hunting cartridge. We have better, but usually in some big unweildy package like the Encore, Contender, Striker etc that don't really lend themselves to wear on the belt. The largest game animals on earth have been taken with the .44 Mag. I think it is a fine addition to any gun collection. It isn't the plinker the .22LR is. It isn't IMO an optimum self defense gun. It may not be the ultimate for handgun hunting. But, it can do all these and do them well.

It is my favorite simply put. I own a 29, a 629 Classic DX, Taurus 44, and a Ruger SRH 44 mag...and I wouldn't part with any of 'em. 41 magnum and 45 Colt fans DO make some good points about their cartridge of choice, and I would never speak disparagingly about either of those. In reality, all three of those (41, 44 and 45 Colt) pretty much do the same thing. The differences among them in terms of performance are negligible in the real world for anything you could reasonably want to do with a handgun. It all just boils down to preference. On any given day you can walk into a gun shop and will most likely find a better variety of factory ammo and components for the 44 mag than either the 41 or 45 Colt. But like I said, to each his own. And it really just boils down to individual preference.

I only own 1 handgun, which is a SBH .44. I chose it mainly for the reasons Robert states (though I'da said 30-06..). I needed something that I could plink with, yet would be a large enough companion when I'm out in the dark woods alone. With all my money presently going toward other persuits ( ;) ), I figured I wouldn't be buying another gun for a while. So, I chose one that would suit all my needs and would do so for a long time; the .44 was it.

And it's a blast to let your friends shoot it, too.. ("Holy sheet!", "Woo!")

The .44Mag is a great all-around load with good ammo availability, even if you're buying retail (versus gun shows or Internet ordering). Accuracy can be truly superb and it can kill boar, black bear and deer with ease.

In some guns, it's been supplanted by the .45LC+P :D.

OK, if you really want to understand why people feel that way, check out what John Linebaugh has to say about the differences:

http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh

Cor-Bon loads their .45LC+P heavy loads a bit lighter than .44Mag, see also their pages on each caliber (for hunting applications):

http://www.cor-bon.com/44magnum.html

http://www.cor-bon.com/traditional45.html - note that like Linebaugh, they mention reduced felt recoil over the .44Mag.

Buffalo Bore loads their .45LC+P hotter than .44Mag:

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm

At the Buffalo Bore page, you might want to check out what sort of horsepower is available in the crazy calibers out past the .44Mag/.45LC+P level, such as .454, .480Ruger or the Linebaugh calibers.

Fatcat: in handloading, ya, you can exceed even small-shop (such as BufBore) power levels in either caliber.

What Linebaugh has been preaching is that you can get there with less felt recoil and less stress on the gun in .45LC. That means you can better control a one-handed shot in an emergency and to me, that alone is worth the difference to me, given that I prefer "barrel light" guns over "barrel heavy".

Linebaugh and many others also consistently report superb accuracy in .45LC.

There's lots of sources of lower-powered .45LC (non +P) stuff for both self defense and plinking, without going to the shorter shell length of the .44Spl as you'd do with a .44Mag. That means you don't get that grungy ring that needs to be heavily cleaned before .44Mag length will seat property.

And the ultimate cool thing about .45LC in a strong Ruger SA: you can get a second cylinder for the same gun in .45ACP. At THAT point, you've got the ultimate in flexibility, able to eat cheapo mil-spec .45ACP plinking fodder all the way up through stuff that could concievably defend against Grizzly.

I guess.

Sorry if I seemed a little harsh or whatever, it's just that the .44 is my favorite cartridge, and I've been sad to see it pushed back to second place in the last few years by the new uprising of the .45 +P stuff.

My personal vendetta, I guess.. :p

Neat info, though.

Greeting's All,

I own or have owned all the "major" standard
magnum caliber revolver's, from the famous
.357, and .41, up through the powerful .44
magnum. All of them are fun to shoot; abeit
quite expensive for the person who does not
"roll their own" ammunition. For all practical
purpose's, I prefer the .357 magnum. This is to
include informal target practice with the .38
Special, plinking at beer can's, and light game
hunting. Full house factory load's in either
the .41 or .44 are a handful; as muzzle blast
and recoil can sometimes be tremendous, using
the heaviest of loads. Unfortunately, most
beginners who start out shooting a .44 magnum,
eventually give up handguning; due to their
nervous system being wrecked. On the flip side
of the coin, this cartridge can be "downloaded"
to .44 Special specifications, making it a very
pleasant round to shoot; still pushing a .44
caliber bullet. I might add, most .44 Special
handloads have proved to be very accurate; coming
out of my Smith & Wesson 629 Classic with a 5"
barrel. Whether it's the .44 special or .44 magnum
these rank high on most serious handguner's list.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

LOVE MY REDHAWKS

Have 5.5" Redhawks in 41, 44, and 45.

Use the 41 and 44 for IPSC/USPSA, but the 44 gets hotter.

For putting holes in animals the 44 is proven.

For defense Winchester has their SilverTip load.

Just buy the Redhawk (5.5" stainless, add Pachmayr Decelerator grips) and you'll be happy.

Hey Speed,

While everyone else is extolling the virtues of the .44mag cartridge, I’d like to throw a little different light on the subject.

I was after a versatile combo in lever gun and pistol. I went with the Winchester model 94 Trapper and a Stainless Ruger Vaquero (5 ¼”), both in .44mag. After buying a used, single-action, tie-down, holster in Wyoming for the Ruger, it has found its way into the décor for my room. It has since hung on my closet door as a proud reminder of my shooting heritage. No, I don’t take it out to the range every time, but it gets more “use” than any of my guns (except carry guns.) I enjoy the simple beauty of it hanging there in its holster, with the belt full of large .44mag cartridges.

So, my recommendation is to get a Single Action revolver, in a good length that would fit most “cowboy” holsters. Whether it’s 41, 44, or 45, they’ll all knock down targets with equally impressive results, so don’t fret too much over it. I chose .44mag because the ammo is so much easier to find at a local sporting goods store (same reason I only shoot 22lr, 9X19, 45, 12gauge, 223 and 308.) Whatever you get, find a nice rig for it and display it with pride.

Just remember, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Back