Opinions on Tactical Firearms

Yes, but at 6'5" and 290 lbs....I am a Tactical Weapon...:cool:

so I still don't need a Tactical Shotgun....( my 1911's or maybe a S&W revolver will do just fine ! ) / not to ignore the OP's question ....

If I wanted a Tactical Shotgun, I'd buy the Benelli M-4.

I'm not going to go into an entirely long explanation of this mostly for everyone's sake. I'm not as active on this forum as I had originally planned to be (just spread thin on the internet and life these days) but I am an owner of a UTS-15.

To be honest with you, I bought it because I liked the concept and it really looked nice to me (the integrated light was a nice feature I liked); originally I was going to settle for a nice Mossberg 870 like most people, but I also wanted to "tacti-cool" mine up a bit (nothing against old school guns, I love some of my wood furniture guns; I just like some of that "futuristic" stuff too...) In the end I settled for the UTS-15 because the KSG was far over-priced and ended up being released in a typical Kel-Tec fashion and I got a great deal on a fully loaded UTS-15.

Long story short, aside from one or two minor issues with my UTS-15 (#433), of which UTAS was not only quick to fix, but highly supportive and helpful in their customer service (a huge plus in my book for any company) the gun has gone through thousands of slugs and some buck shot with very few issues. I've done some drills and pushed the gun through some paces and found it to still be a good weapon if you need a compact shotgun. The newer bullpup shotguns do have a learning curve that is slightly different than traditional pump-actions; its a slight change from traditional shotguns that people who are very experienced with traditional pump-actions will incorrectly use the bullpups and short stroke them a lot (I did the same thing for a while until I became used the UTS-15) this is partially why many of the guns had weird issues on the "expert" Youtube channels.

Another thing I want to point out is that while the UTS-15 has had a rough start (as did the Kel-Tec, lets not smooth either gun over.) UTAS has been consistently improving their design (which while you would think is simple, its somewhat different in function than a traditional pump-action, similar with the KSG; as someone pointed out, more complexity.) They've gone through a couple "generations" of the UTS-15 with the newest "Gen 3" being a fairly solid performer with a few good reviews in media such as American Rifleman (for what that's worth) and blogs. Bottom line, the guns had a rocky start and UTAS has been slowly fine-tuning it; most of the "hate" was unwarranted and somewhat erroneously spread.

But they are very expensive and fairly "new" technology so if you're looking for a 100% reliable weapon as a go to "tactical" gun, you won't find it; nothing is ever 100% reliable... but the Mossbergs and Benellis are pretty damn bullet-proof. If you want to invest in a new concept that is in its early stages (where as the traditional pump action and AR systems have been around for decades and gone through decades of fine-tuning) that is fairly reliable and constantly improving; I would say either the UTS-15 or the KSG would be good choices.

I would recommend you look at the BullpupForum.com if you want a more accurate representation of these weapons in the wild from owners who have run into issues and have had UTAS and Kel-Tec take care of them, to members who have not had any real issues.

If you're interested in my attempt to provide a fairly unbiased opinion on the UTS-15, here's a post I made some time ago.
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=4968.msg46080#msg46080

I do apologize for the wall of text, I'm trying not to go into a long technical break down of the UTS-15, Bullpup Shotguns, Polymer Technology, ect. but rather keep this fairly brief.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as a 'Tactical' anything. It's nothing but a marketing term. Said term used to be Law Enforcement.
"...All the real tactical units and military..." Use what they're issued and have no input about what that might be. Remington and Mossberg love having government contracts. Keeps the lights on.

Yeah... that would make more sense wouldn't it? Meant to say "Mossberg or 870" what I get for trying to compile a post when I'm tired. :o

Last edited:
Well, ok, since we're bashing tactical stuff, a shotgun with a mag tube that extends beyond the barrel, solely for competition purposes, is the dumbest thing in the history of firearms... gamesmanship at its worst. You lose the handi-ness in tight quarters (without a sight radius gain), which is what shotgunning is about, ain't it - Mainly home defense in the case of shotgun? C'mon, practice like you "play" - use the exact same gear you're really gonna use to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your homestead - that IS the point of practical shooting, ain't it? To get good for the real world?

Gotta say, I do have a slight itch for the Blackwater variety of the 590 Mossy. Nice rig.

Back