Opinions on Tactical Firearms

GreySmoke

There are many tactical shotguns out there but I'd like some opinions on the UTS-15. What have you heard, experienced? Would you buy one?

Honestly, I'm not sold on the new dual mag bullpups like the UTS or KSG. Neat capabilities, but the price tags on them are kinda high. Honestly, I'd rather spend my money on a couple 870s- two 870 Tacticals will hold just as much ammo and you've got a spare if anything goes wrong with one. Moreover, the 870 is a very proven design with an incredible aftermarket.

If someone wants to buy one of the new wonderbullpup scatterguns, cool. It's your money, spend it how you will. But I don't think I would go that route.

If you are into the tacti-cool look, get what you like. If you want something that will do the job in an emergency. More important to me is dependable functionality.

The $$$$ you will save if you go with a standard pump will pay for a lot of practice.

Personally, I would go with a nice 1100 over even the 870 - no short shucking, very reliable, and the gas system will help a little more mitigating recoil from stout HD loads

All the real tactical units and military are still mostly using Remington 870s or Mossberg 500/590 shotguns. Go figure. LOL!

The REAL tactical units are more concerned with functionality rather than what looks and sounds scary. Mall ninja fodder. And the Remington 1100 and Benelli M-1 seem most popular in 3 gun.
But, everyone should be free to spend their money however they like. I grew up on westerns and still love a Colt single action.

So much of what's on the market these days are just "gimmicks" as far as I'm concerned. I tend to think I could do just as much damage with an old tried-and-true Winchester 97 or 12, or an Ithaca 37 police issue with an extended mag.

That's what I was hinting at in my post. A simple pump action with 6 shot tube and you're g2g.

You are exactly right.

My personal opinion on "tactical" crap (wait let me get my Nomex flameproof underwear on) is that it is a childish, juvenile fad for daydreamers and wannabes. And that's my opinion of so-called tactical add-on junk no matter what kind of firearms.

The only "tactical" item I can see that would be useful on a shotgun would be a mount for a flashlight, and that is really only useful for SWAT teams, generally.

Everything else is for someone to make money on.

Specifically regarding the KSG, the more mechanical complexity you add, the less dependability/reliability you end up with.

I keep a baby eagle 9mm for home defense but if things are crazy I keep a stoeger o/u 12 gauge with 000. I do keep an elastic shell holder on the stock. That's my only add on. Once I get my Mossberg to cycle I might use it instead, it's a smooth bore Slugster. It has a plastic shell holder but its not really needed. I doubt I'll ever need one shot, 2 is possible. Any more than you're probably dead by then anyways and there's a lot of armed guys. Unless some group of mafia hitmen get me confused with someone else I'm pretty well prepared as I can be without making my house into a fortress. And I can't understand the need for a light. There's a night light in our bathroom and the kitchen so both ends of the house have light already. No fancy weird plastic folding stocks for me either, I have regular wood stocks. They double as clubs I suppose. No fancy sights either, my Stoeger has a bead and my Mossberg has rifle sights.

And I can't understand the need for a light.

The light is a very handy application for SWAT teams who have to do "enter and search" operations. That's about it.

Anything else is like fender skirts on a pickup truck. (And yes, I knew someone who actually did that; It was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw, and all the more so since it was on a bare-bones absolute base model Chevrolet.:D)

And I can't understand the need for a light. There's a night light in our bathroom and the kitchen so both ends of the house have light already.

I agree their is no need for a weapon's light if ambient light is sufficient to permit you to clearly identify a potential threat. For any number of reasons those night lights may not due the trick, for just a few examples:

A light bulb burned out
Someone forgot to leave the bathroom door ajar.
A power failure (as in an emergency such as Katrina. Did some report looting during that? Not that you shoot looters.)
The perceived threat be between you and the night light so as to make it difficult to identify them.

I am a strong believer in Murphy's law.

I think the bullpup shotties are pretty neat, but the utas has many problems listed on the interwebs and in a head-head comparison, the KSG always wins. the utas is HUGE and clunky, made of cheap polymer and has a very rough pump. the ksg is smooth, lighter and shorter overall and has a slide release where it should be, in front of the trigger guard. the utas has the slide release on the butt-stock for some reason and doesn't eject shells from the bottom like the KSG. not to mention the utas's 1299$ MSRP over kel-tecs 900$ MSRP. I suggest playing with both, if you can find either, and the gun will make up your mind for you. the utas is pretty junky IMO, especially for the price tag. but if your goal is to hang a bunch of hood ornaments on your shottie, than the utas is prob the way to go

There are tactical shooters, but no tactical firearms. The firearm is but a tool.

Mindset - skillset - toolset. In that order...

Don't make me come down there and smack you ...Dreaming...
( you tofu eating, flip flop wearing...yuppy !! )....:D
-----
call me a "puny little guy"....geez..../ I'm almost back down to a svelte 290...
------
( my Tactical gun ...is a 1911 )....:D

Back