Opinions on H&R .32 revolvers

TruthTellers: The production of H&R top breaks continued well into the twentieth century and many are safe to shoot with smokeless loads, either factory or handloads. It is generally believed that an H&R that is safe with smokeless powder will have the caliber designation marked on the left side of the barrel,for instance, "AUTO EJECTING 32 S&W CTGE." I have an Auto Ejecting Third Model so marked and it is chambered for the 32 S&W Long. Third models were made from 1905 - 1940 and all were made for smokeless powder. If you find a top break that does not have the caliber designation on the left side of the barrel it is earlier and is for black powder only.

There is a smaller frame version called the "Premier" that fires the shorter 32 S&W round. The H&R Premier Second Model was made 1905 - 1941, is marked 32 S&W CTGE on the left side of the barrel, and is safe with smokeless rounds. Again, there is an earlier model of this arm (First Model) that does not have the caliber marking and is safe only with black powder.

Last edited:
Mcshooty, what H&R top break models were chambered in .32 S&W Long? I'd prefer one in .32 S&W Long as the ammo is much easier to find that .32 S&W. I wouldn't be opposed to buying one in .32 S&W, but only if they can shoot current factory manufactured .32 S&W.

I surmise that if I were to go with a .32 Long H&R top break, it would be able to fire any factory .32 S&W Long ammo.

This is the H&R Auto Ejecting Third Model chambered in 32 S&W Long.

They made a lot of these and they are fairly common on the used market, good ones usually going for less than $200. This is your best bet if you want a top break 32 Long and they are safe with all factory ammo. The ammo availability is good. A good example will group 2 inches or less at 7 yards. Such guns will also fire the 32 S&W (the shorter one) and often they group as well as the long.

There were also first and second models of this arm but they are black powder guns. They will not have the caliber designation on the left side if the barrel.

Back