Opinions on coyotes

Another vote for CCI Velociters. When stuck with using ,22LR they're the most deadly round you're going to find in a .22LR and for animals the size of yotes.

From the responses post above I have to assume I am the only one replying to the OP that has actually killed a coyote or 2 with a 22 lr. My first coyote was at 11 years old was taken with a Browning Auto. The coyote was a young yearling, maybe 15 pounds. Range was @15 yards. It took 8 poorly placed shots and a club to kill him. Another was taken at 45 yards, broadside behind the shoulder, Remington hollowpoints. After bolting at the shot, I saw that he ran @100 yards and stopped in a pile of brush. Assuming him dead I slowly made my way over to the brush pile and found him still alive and burrowed deep in the thicket. I have only killed 51 coyotes but enough to be able to voice a passable knowlaedgable response. Coyotes are far tougher animals than most believe. I have lost well hit coyotes with calibers 22 lr to 375 H&H magnum.

You shouldn't assume anything. I've killed a number of yotes with a .22LR. The Velociters then the Mini Mags were the 2 that did best for ME. IMO the smallest you should shoot at a yote however is the .22magnum IF I have a choice.

A 22 will work fine on Coyotes at the range you mentioned. And as others have said you don't need to head shoot them. Shoot them in or behind the shoulder. They probably won't drop on the spot but they will run off and die within a few minutes. That they die is my only concern with varmit control. It's not like shooting an animal that you want to recover and eat. Get some of the high velocity 22 rounds like the mini mags by CCI.

yes dont assume, half on here have prob killed coyotes with a 22. But I like to carry them off and look at them too thats why I reccomend shooting with a rifle or shotgun. Alot will never check up when hit with a 22 and you dont want to just wound one and it recover and be smarter of humans.Shoot they even run off with bigger calibers if you dont do a good job with a larger caliber and a goob shot placement. If you want them to run off then yes a 22 is just what youre looking for.

shotgun

I would use a shotgun with #4 buck. It will travel less than a 22.
unless you are waiting for the coyote to come in it is gonna be a moving shot.

Back