Opinions on Boyd's rifle stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageMOA

I have recently found out about Boyd's gun stocks and have found a gorgeous stock to fit on my Savage to replace the dreaded "tupperware". Has anyone had experience with their stocks? The particular model is 503-140 and can be found here http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/BrowseEbus/Varmintall.asp since the stock is NOT finished already (I can't afford the extra $100), how much trouble is it going to be to finish it to get it the way i want?

Boyd's

Boyd's does make good stocks but the last few months (six or so) they have been having a lot of problems meeting production targets and the wait is often as long as six months or better through mail order firms like Midway.

Also be prepared to "custom fit" your Boyd stock particularly on the Magnum calibers. The fit is hardly exact and does require a little work. You can order directly from Boyd's but you will likely pay about 20% more. I spoke with them recently and they told me that they charge more so as not to compete with companies that buy from them. True? I don't know. I just know it costs more to buy direct.

Otherwise the product is solid in my opinion.

JP

In 2006 I bought a Howa 1500 Varminter Supreme (204 ruger), it came with a Boyds "pepper" laminated thumbhole stock-it's and is super comfortable in the hands.

they make pretty nice stocks, get the least finished/fit model you can and then do the extra sanding etc... to get it to custom fit your rifle.

I bought a VIP stock from them and wasn't that impressed with the out of box fit. Ended up having to pillar bed it. The rear screw hole was oblong and the trigger guard sunk in to the stock too far for my tastes.

Still much faster than richards microfit which takes 10+weeks to get you a stock and then its a ton of work to finish it up.

the amount of time / effort to finish the stock will be up to you and how much is good enough. you can do just a little or you can go crazy with ultra fine sandpaper and dozens of coats of finish.

Well the model I'm looking at is the VIP (the one that requires a little work). What i'm afraid of is getting it and not knowing what to do. I know very little about woodworking. My father might be able to help. My question is, if i order the VIP model, is the work simple enough to do? is it just tedious? or is it downright intricate woodworking?

I'm also interested in bedding the barrel to maximize accuracy. Is this difficult as well?

Boyd's

All that is really required is sandpaper and in the worst case some handtools. No big deal. I know of many who can bed a rifle with no trouble, but for me I would rather not chance it. I have heard bad stories. I would take it to a trusted gunsmith and have a professional job bedding job done on it.

JP

Boyd's-Richard's

I have two Boyd's stocks. They are both LH Thumbhole stock's for an Encore. Both are good high quality stocks that worked well. However if price is an issue and you can do some of the work---Have you looked at Richard's Microfit?? They are a good company, but they are a little slow. IMO Richard's prices are a bit better. You should check out their website. Below are pictures of the two stocks. The two laminate stocks are Boyd's, the Walnut stock is from Richard's. Tom.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Well I did check out Richard's website. I found one I also really like that is supposedly completely ready to drop in, it just needs to be finished. It is $125. Given that the prices are almost identical, would you chose a Richard's or a Boyd's?

Uncomfortable??

Actually it is very comfortable. I find that I can shoot a thumbhole more accurately than I can shoot a regular stock. Especially in a hunting situation. The other thing I like about the Richard's TH is that you can grip their stock just like a regular rifle(not put your finger in the hole).

This is a heavy barreled rifle so I wanted a bit oversized stock. It is strictly a fixed position hunting rifle. I am a handicapped shooter so all my hunting is fixed position. Have you ever shot a TH stocked rifle?? If not then you really should at least try one. I know I am glad I did. Tom.

that's actually what I'm looking for! A thumbhole stock is specifically what i want. It's just the way that one looked that made it look uncomfortable. The stock will be fitted to my Savage 12FV in .223 and used for target shooting at long ranges. So do you like your Richards or Boyd's more Hog?

TH

I like them both. Richard's makes several different models of TH stocks. I really can not pick a winner between the two. The Encore in the picture is a 6.5X284 for long distance ground hogging(out to 600). I also have a 223 Remington, and 30-06 Encore. I can shoot them real well in a hunting situation. The Savage is a 300WSM for deer hunting only. I really like them both.

I did restock the Savage for the same reason you did. That factory stock is a POS. Tom.

Tom, first off I wanna thank you so much for your help and quick responses! My name's Will. I really like the fact that the Richard's stock is 99% fitted. Requiring little work for me (a HUGE plus). I'm falling for the Richards Wildcat TH and the Straightline TH. I can't tell if the Wildcat is more expensive than the straightline though.

Web site

Their web site is a bit difficult to manuever around in. And as I said they are a bit slow in shipping. But they do great work. I spoke to one fellow on another forum who said he has been to their factory. He said it was a real mess. But he also said the guy knew exactly where everything was. He said there was sawdust everywhere.

I have a new Richard's stock(still in the box) that I purchased for a LH Savage 22 magnum. I am getting ready to put this stock on the rifle(shortly). It is my next project(no pictures). I would not recommend one over the other. And I believe the Richard's will take more work to finish, but I also believe you are getting more from your money with Richard's. Check out their blem's. I know a couple of guys who bought the blems, and they were very happy with the results. Tom.

Not sure if you are aware but Cabelas' sells a finished Boyd's thumbhole for the LA Savage for about 165.00. I bought one a while back and bedded my 300wm action and barrel. Made a very nice set up. I was pleased with the fit and finish of the stock with one exception. I didn't get a feel for how the top of the thumbhole area was built. It was flat, kinda like a aircraft carrier and was a little distracting to me.I recently got a Richards' microfit stock in the dual grip thumbhole. Much like you are doing, it is unfinished. It however is different than the Boyds in that you can grip it in the normal fashion, addressing the one thing I didn't like about the Boyds.Getting ahold of Richards took me two solid months of calling before I happened to get someone to answer the phone. They do not return emails or phone messages. I like the stock though and look forward to building it up for my O3A3. It is not a drop in fit though. It's about 95% which means just about every surface including the barrel channel will need hand fitting.
Good luck, I do like the look of the varminter.
elkman06

well they have the 96% finish which requires fitting and then they have the 99% finish, which is supposedly a "drop in" fit. I'm leaning towards the Wildcat TH stock. I'd order it from Cabella's if they had it for a short action Savage.

Answers to all ?'s

Hello everyone that has posted something here. If you have any questions ask me, I am a boyd's employee, I make the cuts for the barrel an things, and I'm work in finish room, if you got some thing you'd need to know let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back