Opinions on a Ruger Mini 14 please

My personal Mini 14 experience involved a 1990 era stainless version.
I just HAD to have that Mini, and sold an M1 carbine to get it.
Regretted it during the first range visit...the M1 carbine was more accurate at 100yds than the Mini was at 50yds.
Sold it fairly quickly.
The current Mini 14's are nicer rifles, but even so...
A friend bought a current Mini with the thicker barrel, and I took him to my club to try it out.
I still shot tighter groups with my 5.45 Saiga at 100yds, and I know my 16" AR parts gun build would do better.

I have 8 different loads to try, 10 each, 6 different bullets, 5 different powders. I'm pretty confident I will find something the gun likes.

I had a mini 25 years ago. Great gun and I swear the thing would shoot a round if you put them in the magazine backwards.;)
My problem with the gun is I wanted a mini with a good quality 4 power scope for 100 to 200 yard ground hogs. Back then the only scope mount was the B square weaver mount and I swear I could shoot better groups at 100 yards with the sights than that piece of crap B square at 50.
I gave up on it and got a Rem 721 in 223. One of the most stupid acts I have ever done was to sell that 721 to a friend.
There is another reason to have a mini, the fact that it has the close appearance of the M1 or a M1A, Ruger has sold a lot of them.
For someone that’s looking for a semi auto 223 but doesn’t want an assault type of rifle there isn’t a large selection. I can’t think of one myself other than the mini.

Picked it up today (my birthday). Will put a few rounds through it this weekend. Came with stainless rings, stainless rail that mounts across the action, two 5-round mags and a lock.

My prediction?: You'll love it flashhole for what it is-an unpretentious, scaled- down M-14 that is uber reliable and plenty accurate for its intended purpose.

And Happy Birthday!

Second range outing today with the wife and daughter.

Postponed load testing and development until after I get a few hundred rounds down the barrel.

Daughter took to it like a duckling takes to water. Really good off-hand shooting thanks to 4-H and having a redneck father.

Wife's best strategy in a SHTF scenario is to surrender and assimilate.

To her credit she hit the 8" gong at 75 yards ... once. She loves the idea of a semi-auto but she is right handed, left eye dominant and can't shoot for chit.

Glad you are enjoying it.

I have one.
I like the less aggressive looks of the wood stock.
I like the feel of the gun. Handles very naturally for me.
I sunk about $1000 into modifications/parts on mine. Mostly at Great West Gunsmithing.
If you want a dozen or so magazines it is going to cost you. I think this is one place the cost really balloons compared to an AR.
I don't know if I would buy it again knowing what I know now. I certainly wouldn't do all the mods("GUNDOC" delivered as advertised and did great work, I'm just not sure of the value added), although they now have factory versions pretty close to what I ended up with.
If they made one that took AR mags I'd probably sell mine and buy one and feel much better about recommending the purchase to others.

Any pearls of wisdom you can share on the Mini 14? Likes, dislikes? Go get one, don't waste your money?

Had one for a while. 151 series (not the original, not the current). Shot OK, was pretty reliable.

It was not a ranch rifle, and options for scoping it, or mounting better sights, were difficult and pricey.

Some parts were Ruger only.

I eventually traded it off for a WASR-10/63.

Latest shooter used a Mini-14 , killing three ! That one should never have happened !

French have used a full auto version .You can see photos of them in the terrorist incidents recently . Some with checkered wood stocks !!

Our latest ones are more accurate than originals .But it's easier and cheaper to get an accurate AR

I have had two. One many years ago that was reliable as could be but not very accurate. I don't remember the series. I traded it off before I moved to Arizona.

I bought another one out here. It is SS and first shot accuracy is good but as before, accuracy goes away when the barrel heats up. My son has it now and he loves it. I bought a bunch of magazines from CTD and they were awful.

I bought factory magazines and they run perfectly. I really like the looks and functionality of the rifle but not the accuracy. I have been tempted with the newer ones with the heavy barrels but I have several AR style in .223 and .308 that appeal to me more so will probably pass. I think Ruger wants too much for them compared to a Bushmaster that will in all likelihood out shoot it for less.

Good looking rifle flashhole.

I'd recommend you get some extra factory Ruger 10rd mags. Since they are legal in NY state - might as well take advantage of it. Get em now while they are available.

I have 6 mags for my Mini-14 - 4 each 20rd mags and 2 each 30rd mags. Find I prefer the 20rd mags.

Back