Opinions on a Ruger Mini 14 please

You will generally get two opinions. 1 that likes it (myself) and 1 that compares it to an ar which most feel it doesn't compare well with in 3 areas (accuracy, price and appendages). Most will tell you you can get an ar cheaper and it will soot better. Most recent minis are 2-3" moa, some may be better. My is a recent, 583 sn and it has moments of greatness and moments where I think what the hell happened? It generally shoots about 2moa but I get some crazy flyers that open up to 4". That said, it's not meant to be a benchrest sub moa rifle. If you like m1, m1as you will love it. It's pretty similar in accuracy and is very compact and fun to shoot. I prefer to shoot it over either of my ars. If you looking for a 1 moa rifle, probably not a high probability. Very reliable, and great fun. If you get one, get a 583sn or newer, thicker barrel, tends to shoot better.

All my groups are 5 shot. Plenty of 3 shot groups sub 2 moa, not so many 5

To me the price doesn't match the level of accuracy. If they made one that would shoot 1 moa and used an AR mag, that would be great!

I purchased a 188 series Mini 14 last year and I enjoy it enough that I recently picked up a NIB 582 series Tactical Mini 30 at a very fair price.

The Mini 14 is not a terribly accurate rifle by any stretch, but there are some things you can do to help that.
I wound up cutting my barrel down to 16.5" from 18.5" and that did wonders for it. I also added one of the four inch Accu-strut SOCOM single band barrel stabilizers, and that as well worked to tighten things up a bit more.

Still it's not a terribly accurate rifle, but it is a very fun and reliable rifle. I wound up mounting a simple Millet red dot on it that with the shroud on sits beautifully in the factory rings.
This is a pic of a target with 50 rounds in it from a trip to the range last weekend. The red dot at 50 yards is difficult to get any precision from, so part of the spread is due to that

Three shots in each of the four corner bulls, with the remaining of the 50 in the center bull at 50 yards. Not a tack driver by any stretch, but it'll probably hit what you're aiming at for a fun gun so why worry?

attachment.php

The Mini 30 shoots about like that with the heavier 'improved accuracy' factory barrel at 16.5"

Attachments

• IMG_20160715_181001373.jpg
    IMG_20160715_181001373.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 1,037
Thanks for weighing in. Here in NY the AR 15 has a non-removable magazine. You have to load it from the top. That's a show stopper for me.

Not up to the Ruger standard !!!

You will generally get two opinions.
First off, know that I am a big Ruger fan and INHO, they have only made one lousy rifle and that is the Mini 14. I had a "Ranch" and it did not take long to get rid of it. I make it a point to clean and inspect any used firearms, I buy. Could not believe how cheap these are/were made. Understand the mine was an older model and perhaps the newer ones are much better. At any rate, I don't give them a second look. .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

There was a time when a new Mini was $260 and ARs were around $300 and a bit more. Comparatively, nowadays the Mini seems to be over-priced and the ARs begin at reasonable numbers.

I had four of the early "skinny Minis". All were extremely reliable. All could give three-shot 1.5 to 2.0 MOA groups. But all were consistent for the first shot always being on the point of aim, so as a coyote hunter I was fully satisfied.

My personal preference is the factory 10-round magazine. Allows carry at the balance point.

For home defense? All Minis will easily group minute-of-cranium.

If you want a target rifle buy something else, but the Mini14 is a reliable shooter and comes without a lot of the 'black rifle' angst. Seems to be a socially acceptable semi-auto .223.

I've been looking at one, simply because
1) I don't care for the AR platform
2) they fly under the radar, because it doesn't look like an AR
3) priced more affordable.

Quote: "...Seems to be a socially acceptable semi-auto .223."

Which is why the rifle I carry in my Ram pick-up truck's "Ram Box" is a Mini-14-seems to cause less angst from the ignorant.

If the AR isn't a practical option then I'd use a Mini. I've had several over the years. Not horrible, but in 2016 most of us can buy an AR for less money and have a better rifle in every way.

The mini is my choice over the AR. Don't get me wrong, the AR is a fine rifle. I carried an M-16 almost 20 years and an AR for several years after that so I have some experience with it. I just enjoy the Mini-14 more. The accuracy is completely adequate for any defensive purpose I may have and it's reliable.

I do think an AR is the better rifle. With that said, I like the mini's better, I like the looks, the Garand action, the feel, the standard rifle stock and I just think they are much more fun to shoot. For me, AR's are fun but kind of vanilla.

I fired my first mini earlier this year, brand new, on 300. There was nothing that I liked about it. Trigger was abominable, accuracy was poor, and the clank and clunk of the action bothered .me. I'm disinclined to buy one when I can get my hands on reasonably good ar. I hate that, as I like the concept of the mini.

A friend of mine, who doesn't even own one, always "defends" the Mini 14 every time the subject comes up with this "the Mini 14 was designed to replace the M1 Carbine" primarily in the police and prison guard market.

The idea was to have something similar to the carbine, but with greater range.

No one ever seems to compare the Mini to the M1 Carbine, probably because of the caliber, its always compared to the AR.

I've had a stainless Mini (183 series) for over 30 years, and never put it on paper. It's always hit within my "shooter error accuracy" and is my knock about "blaster".

I have personal experience that it runs like a sewing machine on ammo that choked my AR.

For the money being asked today, I wouldn't buy one, but then I HAVE one, and have had one for a long time, which colors my opinion on buying another, just a bit. ;)

Sometimes two of something that is bound to outlast you is not an all bad thing, especially when both of your sons have expressed a fondness for it.
Cowardice in decision making on my part, or maybe conflict avoidance, either way I've got them both covered.

Good responses and comments ... keep em coming.

So how many of you who experienced poor accuracy handloaded your own ammo?

I've been able to gain exceptional accuracy from all my factory stock rifles with factory triggers just by tuning my ammo. I'm wondering if I can do the same with a Mini.

Anyone have the Target model mini? I was thinking of going this route with a scope to get it dialed in with a custom load that works well then switching to a red dot sight.

I handload, tried everything from 40gr vmax to 69 smk. Seems to like the lighter bullets the best. Had several 5 shot groups between 1-2", but still get some some groups that are 3-4"

Back