Opinions: Lever action rifle for hunting.

wyrdone

I have been looking at several lever action rifles for hunting over the past few weeks. I have a few options and would like some opinions. Hunting mainly Whitetail.

Marlin 336C .30-30
Marlin 336C .35 Rem
Winchester Legacy .357 Magnum
Browning Lightweight .30-06

Cost wise, the Marlin .30-30 is best "bang for the buck" and the .30-30 cartridge is fine for deer & other medium size game.

The Browning .30-06 is the better all around hunting cartridge, but at almost triple the price of the .30-30 it's a harder sell.

Ammo prices are about the same for most of these so thats kind of a non-issue.

Comments/reccomendations/etc.?

It depends on the type of terrain you're hunting, but for me the .35 Remington takes the cake all day long. Plenty for whitetail, piggies, or black bear. I sighted mine in yesterday and shot a 1" 5-shot group at 75 yards. No adjustment needed this year.

Id go with the 30/06, very versatile cartridge, all you need is that one gun, so in tern you might spend more on the browning 30/06 than the others, but your getting a much better rifle and cart with the 30/06, you will never regret buying a 30/06 for big game. Hunt deer one day and then moose the next with the same cart. Good luck. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

I love my Marlin 30-30

Matter of fact, that’s what I used this past weekend for opening day of rifle season. About the only thing I use anymore (or plan to use for hunts here in South Texas) is either my bow or my 30-30.

My deer cart is a 300 Savage Model 99, made in 1945, I have took many deer with this rifle since I was twelve years old and I bet the owner before me;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

In the woods

I'm not an expert, but for whitetails and hogs, the .35 Rem seems darn near perfect. For whitetails ONLY, the .30-30 seems darn near perfect.

I wouldn't monkey around with the .375, but any of the other calibers mentioned are more than enough. You gotta be able to hit a pie plate at whatever range you will be hunting. Gotta be able to hit it first time, every time and you gotta KNOW you can hit it. If you think it is out of your for-sure range, don't take the shot.
As far as range goes, the 30.06 has cartridges available all over the place that you can use for mean stuff that is way too close to little-bitty things that are way over there. It will do the work of a bunch of rifles just by swapping the ammo around.
Sounds like you might be just starting out. Might want to go to your local gun shop and ask if they can hook you up with a decent used gun. Guns are like cars, new ones cost too much, used ones might have something wrong.
When you get it. Shoot it it a lot. Sight it in off a bench and then get up and walk around the bush with it. Kinda plink and aim at stuff. Get good and used to it so you don't fumble when the time comes.
That's all I got to say about that!

taa, cs :D

I hunted with a Marlin in .35Rem for years. Took a lot of deer with it. Got into other hobbies and sold it, wished I hadn't done that. Now I have a Marlin 1895G in .45-70. Well made gun and very accurate. Opening day is the 20th and hopefully will break this rifle in right.

Marlins in .35Rem are just plain good rifles.

Add another vote for the .35 for me. Used one for 8 yrs so far with no probs. My bro uses the 336 also he's used a few years now in 30-30. Always heard that the 35 handled deflection a lil bit better as well. I'd be perfectly happy with either for deers.

Randy

As devil's advocate, I do have a friend who likes his Browning, which has a detachable magazine. This has one major advantage over the Marlin, in that you can shoot spire point hardnosed bullets. In the Marlin it is best to shoot flat nosed bullets or hollowpoints, or at least big old fat round nosed bullets. :)

If money is not an issue, I would go with the 30/06 and the Browning. The 30/30- would be my second choice. I don't care much for the .35 Rem cartridge.

The .35 Remington is a ferocious cartridge indeed ! However it is played by 150 yards like the 45-70 is.Sure I KNOW it WILL kill further but after 50 years of seeing the .35 REm in action; 150 yards is it. The 30-30 MAY be pushed another 50 yards, but it aint as devastaing as the .35 Rem. Bottom line a .300 Savage or better yet a .308 is the better lever gun. Course the .358 (and .348) ain't no slouch to 200 yards plus! ;)

I actually went with the .30-30 Marlin.

Local pawn shop had a Marlin 30AW that was in near mint condition (took my borelight and .30 boresnake with me and I swear that this gun has had less than 100 rounds run through it by looking at the bore) with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope on leupold peek through mounts. Got it for $230.

Might have gone for the more expensive Browning, but I would have been spending retail and my wife probably would have killed me if I had spent the $750 or so.

wyrdone-
Well you asked for opinions, so......
Why do so many people insist on putting a scope on lever gun with 100-150 yard effective range? Worse yet, a perfectly good Leupold 3X9 that could effectively sit on most 600 yard rifles in the world?

The beauty of the LA design (IMHO) is in its inherent "carry-ability". Light and compact, you can hike hill and dale for hours with it in your fist. Put a scope on it and you've gained nothing in terms of hit ratio at those ranges, while diminishing the handiness and speed of operation....not to mention the downside of trying to shoot something running at 20-30 yards with, at lowest, triple magnification.

As with most things, YMMV.
Rich

Wyrdone, JMO but "you be a big winner",
if that Leupold was a older VXII you can sell that for 200 any day of the week (in just a few hours) in my neck of the woods. Thus, you're hunting with a 30 dollar "like new" Marlin? Deal!!! and that is not to even considering Leupold mounts! You did good ... Enjoy!

Rich, here in the Catskill Mtns of NY ranges are usually within 50 yds. So why do I have a 1x4 scope ?? That's because I know that ANY round can be deflected so there is no such thing as a "brush busting cartridge". I use the scope to find an opening in the brush so with an accurate gun and precision shooting I don't shoot brush. My lever action is a Browning 1885 in 45-70 single shot ,cut to 22" for less weight and better handling.

Back