Opinions,Heritage arms 3" Birdshead grip model?

Just to be clear the reason I am not for buying cheap guns is because when I first started buying guns thats just what I did. With three of the Rohm 22 single actions. My dad also bought a Rohm 38. It didn't fire until he worked on it. The 22s I owned all shot. All over the place.

It wasn't till I was given a Ruger single six that I found out how accurate a single action 22 could be. That gun would chew the center out or a target at 15 yards with me, a beginner shooting it. Then I inherited my grandfathers SS made in 1961 and updated in 1973 and I have all the old lockwork parts.

Now if I cant hit a 13oz coffee can just about every shot off hand at 100 yards I am off my game. But its not that I am such a great shot. It comes from having an accurate, WELL MADE gun.

I learned the same lesson about buying cheap scopes. Now the rifle scopes I buy start $200 and go up from there. There is nothing like sitting on a deer stand wondering if the cheap scope you have on your deer rifle is still on target. None of those worries with a better scope.

A Heritage isn't a single six. Even those of us that own them know that. But, they aren't a Rohm either. Ratshooter, you're projecting your experience with Rohm onto Heritage based off of the price, not your experience with Heritage.

As I said .. Ratshooter is tapping out his opinion.... I respect his opinion...

The OP asked for opinions... I personally own the exact handgun he asked about ...I answered his post ..

Ratshooter gave his opinion.. .. and told a story of a Single Six that was given to him and Rhom revolver and how at a length of a football field he can shoot a 13oz coffee can with a open sight 22 revolver .., so when he compared his experience between those revolvers .. He was able to give his opinion on a 3 inch barreled 22 Lr / 22mag Heritage single action .. amazing insight..

Last edited:
Thank you Buckeye for respecting my opinion. And I do have amazing insight. When I saw my first Yugo car many years ago I knew I didn’t want one. I didn’t have to buy one to figure that out. I see knives for sale at the gun show made in Pakistan. I don’t have to buy one to know they are junk. I don’t have to take drugs to know I don’t want drugs in my life. Not everything has to be a first hand experience to have an idea that it is or is not for you.

Glad you like your RR gun.

OK your turn.:D

Last edited:
Well OK. Whenever you get time. I’m easy. By the way are they using any RR 22s on those Zombies? I didn’t think so. Lol. Just having fun with ya.:D

I love these back and forth things on the forums. I always learn something from it. And of the three Rohm guns I owned one of them wasn’t really that bad of a gun. Not a Ruger but a decent gun none the less. Maybe that’s what a RR is to those who own them.

The Heritage is not a Ruger .. By a long shot .. But in all honesty.. My use of the Heritage is a beater ... Carry while doing chores ... Only thing alive I shot with it was a ground hog that I cornered in the shed ... and the Heritage was on my side ... But as for a Ruger Single Six ...I have zero use for a single action 22/22mag that costs more than the Heritage ...for my use...

Well that’s fine. If it makes you happy and fills a nitch that’s all it really has to do. I like my Rugers but I have had them for a few years before prices got stupid on guns. I would have a hard time shelling out $500+ on a Ruger single six now. My sons can be glad I spent and bought what I did so they don’t have to. When I croak they are going to get a lot of good guns and a boat load of ammo and all the stuff to reload. All prepaid for them.

That’s a funny thing. I have for the last few years been trying to get two of each firearm so both of my sons get one each. I doubt they will ever know what I have tried to do for them. Good quality life time guns.

That's pretty cool of you ratshooter, to double up for your boys in the future. I often think about how I'm going to distribute my collection amongst my three children and what I'd like to add for them. I have enough heirloom quality pieces for all of them to get some quality. One of the reasons I picked up my RR was for the kids to shoot with me...and have a little fun doing it.

Thanks GarlandTD. I try to have the same or at least very similar guns. They are already making claims to certain guns they want. I guess they won’t be too sad when I take off.:(

But I don’t care. I just hope they take care of them and most of all enjoy them before the powers that be make us like England or Australia. I truly hope I am gone before that happens.

It is a decent little handgun and my very first. The ejector rod won't fully spring the empty cases and the housing for the rod rattles a little loose after a while. But for the money, you will probably be okay.

Back