Opinions from those more learned than I (30-06)

A good option if you are only sour on the bolt because of Remington is Savage.

They put a lot of effort into accuracy and succeed at a good price.

I'm loving the Marlin XL-7 in .30-06 :)
$299 for a sub-MOA factory bedded, factory recoil pad, fluted bolt, Pro-Fire target adjustable trigger, & button-rifled barrel!!

They've been getting rave reviews since they came out...what more could ya want??

Oh, right...wood instead of synthetic stocks...Boyd's Riflestocks makes some interesting styles...all under $100 :)
Bed 'em yerself, tho

And if you prefer Older Marlins...track down an MR-7...freakishly precise!!!

In my opinion, the 7400 was the best auto hunting rifle Remington ever made. We had one around here that was used by the whole family for 15 years. It gobbled hatfulls of reloads and around a hundred factory loads and it never jammed the entire time we had it. The trigger was a little challenging for fine work but it would cut 1 1/4" groups with Nosler BT reloads or several factory loads.

An old friend has another one, also a 30-06, which is just as good as ours. Maybe we both just got lucky.

In my opinion, the 7400 was the best auto hunting rifle Remington ever made. We had one around here that was used by the whole family for 15 years. It gobbled hatfulls of reloads and around a hundred factory loads and it never jammed the entire time we had it. The trigger was a little challenging for fine work but it would cut 1 1/4" groups with Nosler BT reloads or several factory loads.

An old friend has another one, also a 30-06, which is just as good as ours. Maybe we both just got lucky.

I did buy a 7400 in 30.06, somewhere around 1992 and used it for about 4 years. I killed whitetail deer with it and it performed flawless. Grouped around 1 1/4" like what Sarge said. Was not a bad rifle, but I just got the itch to try the Browning Bar Safari so I traded the 7400 in on it and had to pay some boot.

I've got a 7400 in 30-06 and love it. It has been extremely reliable, never a jam, and is capable of making any shot that I am capable of making. I nailed a nice buck with it last season @180 yds right in the heart. He didn't go 20 yds.

I highly recomend one.

Back