Opinions and experiences with the Beretta 92FS?

Lightsped

Anyone here have any opinions and/or experiences with the Beretta 92FS? I am considering buying a 9mm 92FS INOX.
How would this gun stand up to a Glock 17C or a Colt 1991A1?
Thanks

I have a Stainless Beretta, a Glock 23, and a Para-Ord P13.45. Not the exact guns you're talking about, but close enough! Anyway, the Beretta is sized differently than the Glock and Colt; the Glock is narrower in the grip but thicker on the slide, while the colt is narrower all around. The Beretta also has the thickest grip of the bunch, and is probably the heaviest. It holds 2 less rounds than the Glock, but about twice what the Colt holds (though the Colt has a bigger round). I think that the Beretta is the most reliable gun made (just my opinion) based on the fact that it eats ammo my other guns jam on. I also think the Stainless Beretta is one of the best looking (it matters to some). Keep in mind that the Beretta and Glock can take mags over 10 rounds so 15 and 17 rounders will cost you more than standard Colt mags (though you can pick up 15 round factory Beretta mags for around 30-50 bucks if you look). All are excellent guns, though.

I have the full size 92 Brigadier. I have owned a G19, G21, and G26. All in all I am satisfied with the Beretta. I find it is easier to conceal the more I wear it. The Glocks were the lightest, and some would argue, have the edge over the Beretta in durability. I would recommend the Beretta if you have an opportunity to get one. I agree with branrot that the INOX is nice looking. Don't have as much experience on the Colt 1991A1, but they too are good pistols, but it seems that you either have a real shooter, or it needs a lot of work.

Mike

The Beretta 92FS is a fine pistol and you can bet your life on it, if you practice, as we should all do with any handgun we own for self defense.

I carried one for years, and over that time, fired approx 23,000 factory rounds through it, without a malfunction. (Had some dud rounds, but that was not the fault of the pistol.)

I love Colt .45s, and carry a Lightweight Commander, now. But a 92FS is in my car and another is in my wife's car. That's how i feel about them. Keep the slide rails lubricated and you should not have any problem with it.

FWIW. J.B.

I had a Beretta Elite about year back. It was a great gun. I loved the way it fit my hands even though they are not that big. Ate every 9mm that I fed it. IMO, its kinda big to conceal but I know many out there that does not find this a problem for them. I sold it because I wanted the USP45C. (I am HK fan)
If you can fork out a little more, I would recommend Elite 2. Its got a better trigger and a more "hi tech" look. But thats just my opinion.
Compared to a Glock, I think the Glock is more durable because of its simplicity and polymer frame. Reliability wise, they are about the same. Both world class pistols. IMO

I seriously doubt there are any real quality differences between a Beretta, a Glock, and a good brand 1911. My doubt is based on the fact that supporters of Beretta claim they are the most reliable and durable, and supporters of Glock claim they are the most reliable and durable, and supporters of 1911's claim they are the most reliable and durable.

So, start this adventure with the assumption that all 3 are equal.

The difference comes down to what FEATURES you want. Single action, double action, double action only? External safeties? Grip angle? De-cocker? Double stack, single stack? Etc. Caliber choice is also a factor.

One of the biggest reasons I chose a Beretta 92FS over other quality choices was because it was THE handgun that fit MY hand the BEST. By fit I mean grip angle, width and length of handle, absence of pinching grip safety, balance, and natural pointing for me. The action was also very smooth, with the slide easy to pull back and chamber a round. I liked the decocker and the external manual safety. Also liked the 180 degree ejection opening along with the ease of manually loading one round at a time.

Since owning 2 FS's, I have nothing but good things to say about them. No jams, always smooth, very accurate.

As mentioned, I think it comes down to what features you desire. The "manual of arms" is certainly different on all three pistols. I owned a Commander 1991A1 and a full size 1991A1. I had them a short time only, putting maybe 3 or 4 hundred rounds through each. Personally, I thought they were pretty good pistols. They were priced right and I don't recall one malfunction. You can customize the heck out of 'em, gunsmiths are certainly familiar with them, zillions of holsters are available and they are just plain romantic and steeped in history. I've owned three Glock's. Some Glock owners have reported putting seven million rounds through there're G-17's without any malfunctions of any kind!:)(I'm kidding, I just couldn't resist that). Seriously, Glock's are good, sound pistols with their own unique "manual of arms" which might not be for everybody. I've owned so many Beretta's that I kinda lost count. It's just one fine sidearm and it's "manual of arms" fits my lifestyle. It's one of the nicest looking handguns if that's important to you. Boringly reliable, durable, fairly lightweight, concealable (you might consider the Centurion, it's a little shorter), and moderate in price. Factory hi-caps are still readily available and reasonable. Good Luck, J. Parker

ithaca_deerslayer is right on the money. I was trying to choose between a Sig P228, an HK USP Compact and a Beretta 92FS, all in 9mm. I rented them, shot them side by side and found that the Sig fit my hand the best. The Beretta was the near runner up, though -- I liked it a lot: accurate, handled well, comfortable to shoot. It would be hard to conceal, methinks. But then again, I prefer Kahrs for that.

I am a brand new 92fs owner (2-3 weeks) and I am working on close to a thousand rounds - just did 200 today! Love the gun, love the gun, love the gun!!! I keep finding excuses to take it out to the range, and I am already more accurate with it than with my Ruger (Put many, many rounds through the Ruger). What sold me were:

1. All the all the stories of its extreme reliability (Ruger really spoiled me there, Taurus burned me there).

2. It's fine good looks

3. The way it felt in my hand - It fits (feels) better than any other gun I have ever handled

Terry

The Beretta 92 FS is truly one of the "classic" pistols. I have had one for almost 15 years. Not one complaint other than I don't get to shoot it enough. This gun will feed & digest anything. If the Beretta has a drawback, it is the size. This gun is big for a 9mm.

The Beretta 92 Compact might be an alternate choice if the 92FS is too large. It is smaller than the FS version but still a good sized pistol. I purchased a Custom Carry model this summer. Same quality and reliability but in a downsized version. Might be an alternative.
Pre-Ban magazines are still plentiful and relatively inexpensive $35 to $50 depending on condition and dealer.

I can not compare the 92 to the Colt other than to say they are approximately the same size. As for the Glock that's more of a personal choice. I have a Glock 19 and can find no fault with it either. It is definately easier to carry concealed when compared to the Beretta.

Take Care

i'm going to try very hard to keep this short, i could write a very long post saying how much i like berettas but i'll hold back...if you have any more specific questions about the 92FS feel free to ask.

i have a 92FS and a 92G Elite. i love them both, very accurate and reliable. my 92FS has around 3500+ rounds through it without a single jam or malfunction, it's very accurate and light recoiling. IMO their just as good quality as glocks (i also like glocks a lot).

only draw backs for some are the big grip (i have small hands and have no trouble but some people do), big overall size (if you want it for a CCW, but it's not designed for that) and it's trigger pull. the trigger pull in both DA and SA IMO are very nice and smooth but the DA is fairly long and heavy so it takes some getting used to.

Well CCW for this 92FS that I am considering is not a issue. I'll stick to my Titanium Taurus 38 snubbies for CCW.

What I am looking is a high quality gun that is comparable to my Sig 229 .40s&w. I am leaning toward a 9mm or 45 for the simple reason that I have been told they are cheaper to shoot compared to my .40 Sig.

Can anyone comment on the INOX finish? Is it just a basic stainless steel finish with a fancy name or is it really something special as far as finishes go? I really like the way the INOX 92FS looks. Is the INOX finish easy to maintain?

Does the 92FS have a decocking lever like my Sig 229?

There's nothing special about Beretta's stainless finish as far as I know. The frame is still aluminum...just a different color. I prefer the standard black 92FS because they have the mil-spec chrome lined bores. The 92FS's decocker is only similar to your SIG's in that it decocks the hammer. The decocker on the 92FS is slide-mounted instead of frame-mounted like on your SIG. It also doubles as a safety because it sticks in the decocked position until you manually thumb it back up into the "fire" position. Some people hate where the 92FS's decocker is located and can't get used to it. I have relatively long fingers and have no problem with it. HTH

I have a 92FS compact which is not made any more,but one thing I can say about this weapon:of all the weapons I have ever owned(SIG,HK,etc)this has the best trigger out of the box I have ever experienced.It just gets better,and better,and better!

A good friend of mine owns a stainless 92FS...
It takes all the self-control I can muster to keep from drooling all over it. Such a pretty gun.:D

Its usually the first thing I look for whenever I step into an unfamiliar gun store. The only reason I haven't gotten one yet is my lack of funds. Trust me, I'll get there though.;)

Raymike, what can you tell me about your 92FS Compact that you say is not made anymore.

I have one. It is 1/2 inch shorter at the barrel and a 1/2 inch shorter at the grip. The mags are 13 rounders. Other than that it is identical to my 92FS.

Are these not made anymore?

They both shoot great. Both accurate. Both very soft in the hands (partly because of the wide Beretta grip, I imagine). The only difference in shooting them is that with the Compact my pinky finger misses the grip.

I'm not a fan of the Beretta 92. I've shot them and found them to be overlarge. In particular, when trying to shoot them DA, the trigger is just too far away. I'm not a fan of DA/SA, but that's my religion, it might not be yours...

I don't like slide-mounted safeties/decockers. They're too far away to be easily manipulated by my thumb, and they can get accidentally tripped while manipulating the slide. The safety/decocker should be on the frame.

And the safety/decocker operates in the wrong direction -- your thumb is stronger pressing down than it is pushing up.

Personally, I don't like the Beretta 92. YMMV.

M1911

[Edited by M1911 on 02-01-2001 at 12:25 PM]

My father and my best friend both have 92's in inox (stainless) and I love shooting them. I have never witnessed or heard of anyone ever having a problem with one. (other than hear-say) Every time i lay my eyes on one i fall in love all over again. I have no clue whats kept me from it. Money i guess.

I think these are one of those pistols that will go down in history to be the most Beautiful,reliable,trusted pistol in the world.

Tim :)

Anyone here have a pic of a INOX 92FS? I have seen the ones on Beretta's web site, but was looking for a few others from various angles showing the gun's details.

I love my 92FS! Fantastic shooter, but it is definately a bedside or range gun. Too large and heavy for CCW, for most people, IMO. You can't go wrong with a 92.

Back