Opinion or fact?

Actually, when you are in danger and are having to shoot for your life, you will pop off rounds in a variety of different ways without thinking about form or how you were trained. In some cases you will automatically shoot with one hand at close range like you see done in some cowboy movies. In other situations, if you have time, you will use cover to your advantage. You will use two hands and do the aimed fire thing. Still in other situations, you may drop to one knee or drop straight down to the ground and then sight in on your target. The point is that when you are in danger you will automatically or instinctively react to what you perceive is the threat in front of you.

Sympathetic Nervous System

It seems that I always think the same as Kraigway. We will react when under stress the way that we have trained. That's when the sympathetic nervious system or autonomic takes over and we perform thru the subsconscious. That is why you should learn the technique that works BEST for you. I would like to hear from Glen E. Meyer on this. I believe that he has the credentials.
Some run from one big name instructor to another looking for the Magic technique to win a gunfight. Sorta like a dog chasing it's tail. Best ,Lyle

If you can't shoot faster than the other guy; shoot straighter. Chic Gaylord

We will react when under stress the way that we have trained.

I know that people think this and many actually believe it but the truth is that when you are startled your instincts don't always follow your training. You will find yourself in a cross situation where you are automatically reacting to stimuli that you feel is a threat to you and the way you were trained doesn't fit this situation as best and as quickly as you can determine. So, you have to immediately improvise, adapt and overcome.

At the range you are taught to use posts and columns for cover and support. In a dark alley at night there may not be any columns or posts for support or cover. The best thing you've got is that stinky garbage dumpster over there. And if you move to the dumpster your footing around it becomes tenative so now you have worry about falling down too. All of your training sure didn't address this kind of shooting scenario so you adapt from there.

In the woods you and I exhange shots at each other. I get down behind a berm and I see you drop down behind a 12 inch diameter soft pine tree. From where I'm at I can hear you giggling because you think you're safe. I adapt and overcome because I use my .308 rifle to turn your soft pine cover into kindling as my bullets zip through it and into you. I adapted and overcame in a way where your training worked to my advantage.

What you need to do is extend everything you learn in training. You have got to couple training with high speed thinking or emergency situation thinking. Training will only take you so far and that may not be far enough to survive in many situations. You need to immediately go beyond what you were trained to do.

Years ago California Highway Patrol officers were taught to unload their revolvers and put their fired casings in their pockets. That all changed after the shootout where a number of them were killed trying to stop some armed robbers. It was determined that the officers wasted valuable time by stashing their fired ammo cases in their pockets when they should have just dumped them on the ground. So train hard and learn to think on your feet.

Back