opinion on a Ruger M77 MK II in 300 win mag

LOUD

I am looking for an opinion on a Ruger M77 MK II in 300 win mag.A local store has one in stock,been on the shelf a couple of
years , I have looked at it and it appears well made with a fat glossy blued barrell and a nice walnut stock the
action is stainless or white metal and to me appears similar to the action of a Mauser . Really nice made weapon that can be had at a reasonable price,comes with scope rings and mount. Ive never owned a Ruger or a 300 win mag . Just wanted to know your opinion or experiences on either or both.......LOUD

Ruger M77'S are noted in the magnum cartridges for beating the shooter to death. The barrels are iffy at best. Some are tack drivers and others would make good shotgun barrels. Barrel quality is erratic. Some of the early models had issues with the triggers but it sounds like this one is newer. Like any other gun deal, if you can get the chance to shoot before buying, shoot it. If you can't shoot before buying, best of luck.

I have a late Mark II, that had been sitting on the rack for at least couple of years... Everyone wants a hawkeye and that rifle, even though new in the box and heavy marked down wasn't going anywhere.. I decided to take it home for $545 OTD.. Its the .270 win sporter model with the stainless barrel and action with a laminate stock.. Even with the stiff factory trigger it was a shooter, with 1 inch groups being possible when I do my part... It's even better now with a timney trigger in it..

I do not own a .300 win mag as it's a lessor cartridge than my weatherby and I don't see the need for another magnum especially if it fails to meet or beat what I already have... The .300 win is a very good cartridge and if I didn't have a .300 weatherby already I would certainly own a win mag..

Like .300 weatherby mag, my father and i have a m77 mk2 hawkeye thats the laminate and stainless, its shoots under 1.5 inch groups with a CRA nikko sterling 4 by 32 scope. That was with the barrel not free floated. They do have a solid kick but your not shooting hundreds of rounds a day through them. Over all they're a nice rifle.

Good luck.

Mk

Loader, please forgive me in advance for saying this but your post sounds like regurgitation of a lot of internet banter. I have eight ruger m77 mkII's ranging in production from 1994 to 2008 and from 204 to 7 mag. None of them are the fabled 'one ragged hole' five shot group shooters like every savage is claimed to be. Any of them will, however, shoot an inch with a couple that will print down towards the half inch mark.
A lot of these negative stereotypes about ruger began back in the days of the original m77 and may no longer hold true. One that does hold true is about the mark ii (non-vt) trigger....its bad enough that an extra hundred bucks for a timney is money well spent and makes them feel like different rifles.
Just my honest $0.02. This was not a dig or an attack at all; just hoping my experiences can help someone like guys here have helped me.
Cheers

I'M a big fan of the 300WM.Have used one for 25yrs.lots of ammo opts.& loads to do different things with.Recoil can get a little harsh with heavy loads
but its controllable.Its great for long range hunting when you need a little extra power.THE 77MKII is a fine rifle IMO I wouldnt listen to the Ruger bashers on the web. There are sure alot off guys that use them and I've not
heard any of the guys I know say anything bad toward them. So good luck
on your choice & enjoy

Well thanks folks for your input. I went and bought the thing for $500 out the door and put a new Redfield 3x9x40 scope . Like I said it is a well finished rifle unlike some of the more assult type rifles in my collection. Any way I will hopefully get tp shoot it this weekend and will let you know how it went with factory ammo. Thanks, LOUD

All Ruger 77s since they first came out are excellent centerfire rifles. I wouldn't debate it at all. Prices are always reasonable too. And they look great.

I have an M77 in 338 WinMag. I consider it to be barely adequate as a hunting rifle due to 2.5"-3" groups. None of my other commercial bolt action rifles shoot that poorly. I blame Ruger's goofy angled front action screw and cast receiver.

Hey mdd, I have no problems with anybodys opinion but mine is based on facts. My brother bought a new Ruger 77 in a 300 win mag about 3 years ago. The only way to hit anything with it at 100 yds was if you had real strong throwing arms. He sent it back to Ruger who put another barrel on it but if a gun can't shoot any better than 2 1/2"@100 yds, it's crap around here. He sold it and now has several 300 mags, some Winchesters and some Remingtons. And they all shoot good enough to hit anti-freeze bottle at 880 yds. But I'm aware that some Rugers will shoot....but then there are the others that don't.

I've got an old M77 MkII all-weather I bought new in 1992(?) with the ugly synthetic stock in .300 WM. I've had Model 700's, 70's, A-bolts, and everything in between. NOTHING has ever put better groups on paper then this rifle and it doesn't kick at all. If I can't beat .750" at 100 yards I'm not doing my part. And that's with any ammo I want to feed it, from the cheapest Winchester and Remington ammo to Federal Premium and similar. It might be one in a million but I had to tell my experience.

I have a MKII and a Hawkeye. Both are actually really good rifles. I am very happy with them. I bought them both because I got the chance to shoot my buddy's and his was the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. Mine are not that accurate but they both will do under 1" at 100 yards and that is good enough for me. As far as the trigger goes, a timney is not needed. The Ruger trigger is the easiest trigger to modify in the world. New lighter spring and some trigger and sear polishing will do it really quick.

The Ruger stock is not the best for distributing recoil and the recoil pad.....
I would get the rifle and a premium recoil pad that my smith could grind to fit. The 300W is a fine cartridge with a long standing reputation as one of the most accurate of that era.

I have had my M77R in 300WM since the early 70"s. It shot good groups with factory ammo, but after developing a load for it, it shoots the ragged hole 5 shot group. A lot of deer, some elk, and a few bear have been claimed by it over the years. Of all the rifles I own, it is my favorite. As for recoil, All 300WM have a sturdy recoil to it. Unless of course you have a muzzle break on it.

Ruger has always been known to make a rugged firearm that functions reliably without looking "cheap".

Loader, what did the second barrel shoot? Did you work with the gun to develop a load it liked? I've spent considerable time working with my m77 mkII 223 to make it shoot well. It's been frustrating at times and I'm not done yet but I get closer every time I shoot it. This rifle is damn picky however part of the enjoyment for me is in the challenge of making it work better.
I hear of these junk Rugers but I have to wonder how many of these rifles were never given a fair chance with a bullet & powder charge it liked.

I have an M77 in 338 WinMag. I consider it to be barely adequate as a hunting rifle due to 2.5"-3" groups. None of my other commercial bolt action rifles shoot that poorly. I blame Ruger's goofy angled front action screw and cast receiver.

Ruger's "goofy angled front action screw and cast receiver" are the very reason every gunsmith you ask will tell you the Ruger is the toughest action you can build a bolt gun on. The angled action screw works better than traditional recoil lugs, Remington and Savage style lugs, and "sets" the action in the stock. The idea is that the action is pulled tightly against the stock before the first shot is fired, instead of having the action shift in the stock; not to mention, the repeatability of PoI with a stock reinstallation.

A top-rate bedding job can negate the need for the angled recoil lug for a Mauser action, but it does no good for Remingtons, Savages, Marlins, etc. (nor does pillar bedding).

Repeatability, reliability, and strength are the point of that angled lug.

If yours won't shoot well for you, you're using the wrong ammo, just got the "lucky" bad rifle, or have an issue with the sights/scope.

Well folks the verdict is in !!!! I went to fire my new Ruger in 300 Win mag. The first 3 shots were on a piece of regular printer paper at 150 yards ,after adjusting the windage and elevation a little it was regularly making 1 inch groups at the same distance . I am very pleased ,especially after hearing many things not to Rugers credit. I either have a very true shooting rifle or have been hearing from some very picky and unsatisfied customers . However this rifle does kick like a mule , after the first 3 shots I began to feel like it was tenderizing my shoulder like beef!! Man that cartridge is HOT !!!But Im so glad that I bought it , it has such a finely finished appearance, the barrell looks like highly polished black glass and the walnut stock is simply beautiful, like a piece of crafted furniture. As far as modifications it doesnt need any ! I just need the ability to master it as it is, but as of now I am very satisfied. Thanks to all who replied to this.......LOUD

Glad you took our advice and got the ruger. I've been happy with all of mine once I figured out what ammo they liked.

Back