Opinion on 1934 Mosin Nagant with Hex Receiver - possibly unfired

A lot of the refurbed rifles can look practically new.
Both of those I bought had new-looking barrels with very good bores- one could pass for new.

I don't know exactly what was done during the refurb process before all these were packed away in cosmo again. Both of mine were all matching numbers, down to the bayonets. Perfect blueing.

It's hard to believe that, given the nature of the corrosive-primed ammo they used, that the ones I got weren't sporting new barrels. I would expect at least some pitting and corrosion from neglect (you know the soldiers weren't washing out the bores every night) and I don't see any.

I cut the barrel on one of them, pillar and epoxy bedded the receiver into a Boyds stock, added a Timney trigger and long-range optic...it's one of my long range (600 yard) rifles (handloads, natch).

What JamesK says. It's hard to believe that any war time era Mosin Nagant went unfired. Even if it wasn't at the front, it could have been a NKVD executioner's rifle. More likely than not it has been refurbished.

You can rest assured your Mosin-Nagant has been fired very little when you can still see the machine marks on the receiver in the area where the bolt latches. When you look down the barrel from the receiver end and the groove where the extractor slides under the shell rim is still sharp... If all the serial numbers completely match. If your mosin meets all that criteria it hasn't been shot very much.

Mosin

They quit make the hex receiver because it was harder to make then the round which was cheaper and easier. I believe they quit making them in 1943 or 44 not sure but remember reading some stuff on it.

The hex receiver was dropped in manufacture with the introduction of the 91/30, but new rifles were still assembled with existing hexes as late as 1936.
Denis

I have a 1930 hex receiver Mosin-Magant. 1930 was supposed to be the the last year of the hex receiver. But he could have an oddity - Even the Mosin website says there are models they have not seen. Who knows, the parts could have sit around

It's hard to identify the 1930 models. Mine has the receiver and tang markings of a dragoon but the front sight is 91/30.

Last edited:
As I said- the hex RECEIVER was no longer manufactured after 1930, but new rifles were assembled using hexes until they ran out.
I have a 1934-stamped hex here, but that's when the rifle was built, not when the receiver was fabricated.
There were all sorts of rebuilds using older parts later on.
Denis

If you can hit a 12" gong at 400yds, your doing pretty dang good with iron sights.
If you can clean and inspect the crown and bore, make sure they are decent. You will give yourself a better chance of getting a few more 400yd hits.

The post about round receivers not usable for another barrel is a rumor. Did a couple my self, although they can be stubborn to get off.

Back