Opinion on 1934 Mosin Nagant with Hex Receiver - possibly unfired

300magman

How desirable would a "like new" still packed in cosmolin 1934 Hex Receiver Mosin Nagant be? I imagine it doesn't have any collector value, since there were so many of them made. But recently I had the chance to take a look at this rifle, and though its still barely out of the cosmolin I was able to dry fire it a few times and was amazed at how good the trigger was (not just for an old mil-surp, I mean good)

Its the full sized 28" variant, seemingly numbers matching, with all accessories and the owner is only looking for $150. I was interested in it partly because its something new to me, and because I would like an economical shooter to blast away from the 400 yard line. (hopefully hitting 12" tin pie plates)

So, just by the sound of it, how would this Nagant generally stack up against the millions of others out there?
A little reading leads me to believe that there is nothing special or valuable about it, but that pre WW2 Nagants are generally built to tighter standards. And the other thing I read simply said that - hex receivers are "more desireable" but the author of the article neglected to mention why.

Anyway, long story short, I know its just an old mil-surp and probably only marginally accurate for the 400 yard line with cheap surplus ammo, but at least it is full sized. The other rifles I could find for under $250 to do some cheap plinking with (in 308 win) are so . . small! But then the Stevens 200s or the Rem 770s do at least take modern ammo, are probably more accurate, and best of all, don't come with the barrel full of cosmoline. . . tough choice.

I'd get it if I were you, but I love mosin nagants. If you are able to check the barrel out and it looks good, get it. Then I buy 880 rounds of some cheap ammo. And practice away.

Beware!!!!!!!!! If you buy it you will catch that terrible disease called "Mosinitis" but their is a means to keep this terrible disease in remission, you must buy a Mosin Nagant every few months.

I would buy it. It kicks like a mule, fun to shoot, accurate and ammo is cheap. I mostly buy my ammo from ammoman.com because it is cheap and free shipping.

I would leap on it for a shooter.. or to repack and stick away for a time when Mosins are much harder to find. Dittos on getting a couple of "sardine cans" of ammo, sealed for storage. All corrosive ammo BTW, tho most were chromed barrels. They are fun to shoot and in the long barreled models the recoil is negligible.
After the Great Victory in the Motherland War Against Fascism, a whole lot of Mosins were refurbed, cleaned and cosmo'd and stuck away for possible future use. Yours probably was stashed in Ukraine or Belarus. Enjoy.

the pre-war mosins were of better fit and finish because the factories didnt have to worry about the germans. Some of the 1943 izhvesk mosins are rough but they go bang when needed.

recoil is negligible.

Well, I dunno about that one...

Anyway, price might be "fair" if the bore is pristine- but otherwise it's overpriced. Round receiver rifles are still $90 or so, hex's are tougher to find, but it's more a "collector" thing, they don't shoot any differently..

I have two re-arsenaled ones with great bores, one has been modified extensively and it'll shoot sub minute with handloads.

Why do you suspect it may be "unfired"?

Check to see if there are import marks on the barrel. I sold one with some other rifles at an auction last year and it went for over $300. It was all matching and free of import markings. If you are going to buy junk, by junk that will increase in value.

I have a 1928 like that. Pretty sure it was unfired when I got it. That did not stop me from shooting it! I wanted to be the 1st! :D

I suspect that the rifle more than likely has been fired, but packed away in cosmoline as it was, I couldn't give it a super thorough inspection. I pulled it out and clean it up enough to handle and dry fire, and in doing so, saw absolutely minimal signs that it had ever been handled before, and the general condition was so prestine that it could have probably passed for unfired.

I have decided to pick it up for the collection, along with a 880 round case or two ;-) Once I get it home and cleaned up properly then I will see just how good the bore really is.

The guy selling it said he believes that it was reconditioned and repacked at some point before he aquired it. If they replaced the stock I suppose there is no way to tell, but if they replaced the barrel, it would no longer have the same matching numbers as the rest of the rifle? ? or would it have been stamped to match?

As for the comment of "over priced" - where are people finding all the cheap old rifles?

I've never stopped to look twice at one before, but I have noticed in passing about a half dozen or so Nagants in recent years, many of which looked much more used than this current example. They have all carried price tags from $150 to $175. . .Perhaps there just aren't as many around here, so the price goes up.

I know of gun broker, but I don't often see any deals on there, the prices of anything I am watching always seem to jump at the last minute.

One thing I can say locally, is that there is no point in buying a used 700 or 110 etc. No matter how well used, the local shops or private sellers are often looking for 90% or more of thier original price. The only deals I hear about are on rare occasions when a widow or ex-wife wants to get ride of a collection and doesn't know (or care) much about it.

They're rare "er" than round, but not uncommon at all. The premium is maybe another $20 or $30 bucks these days. Used to be, no premium at all.

The receiver made no difference at the time of manufacture, they are no more "accurate" or "better" than the round receiver rifles, in general.

I understand the primary differences between the round and hex receivers is the method by which the barrel threads are cut. The hex is reusable, the round receivers are supposedly not reusable in the sense that a used up or damaged barrel may be removed and replaced on the hex, not so on the round receiver.

There was a reason why I asked about the stock. If it's standard birch, it may be original.
If it's laminated, it's not, and that'd be an easy confirmation on whether the gun's been refurbed or not.

It's about a 99% certainty it has anyway.
Denis

Back