Opening Day Speed Goat

Has anyone actually clocked one of these ? We were driving at a steady 55 when one joined us and paced us for quite a while then put the pedal to the metal and left us in the dust ! He must have reached 75 . I see all kinds of figures but has anyone actually clocked one ?

One of the most reliable figures available can be found in Mammals of North America (Kays, Roland W., and Wilson, Don E. Princeton University Press. 2002.).

A combined summary of the data from that book; American Pronghorn: Social Adaptations & the Ghosts of Predators Past (Byers, John A. University of Chicago Press. 1997.); and "Pronghorn: Survivors of the American Savanna" (Zoogoer. December 2001.):
Sustained speeds of up to 45 miles per hour (72 kilometers per hour) have been clocked on captive animals running up to 22 continuous miles, but wild Pronghorn have been clocked at speeds up to 61 mph (98 kph) for short sprints to outrun predatory threats. (Kays) Several scientists have suggested that the Pronghorn Antelope evolved to attain such incredible speeds due to predatory threats from now-extinct North American predators such as the North American Cheetah, Giant Short-faced Bear (faster than the name suggests), Dire Wolf, and American Lion, since no current predator presents enough of a threat to warrant the need for such speed. (Hawes, Byers)
(emphasis mine)

It has been difficult for scientists to obtain good data for sustained speeds of wild herds, due to the logistics involved and the fact that doing something like chasing them with a helicopter will skew the data and cause undue stress.

Nice!!Congratulations.

I have a Leica rangefinder but sometimes fiddling around with stuff just is not as efficient as using the reticle to range estimate.My antelope rifle does not have a Mil-Dot,but it is a 6x by 42 mm Leupold with their standard duplex.As close as I can measure on a 100 yd sight in target,post tip to post tip is right at 7 in.enough that I assume the design intent was was two mils.,or one mil crosshsair center to post tip.

With my .257 AI and 115 ballistic tips,I zero at 300 yds.The hanging post tip gives me a precise 100 yd aim point.

Its been a while since I looked at the numbers,but the lower post tip is about 425 yds.That thing is a speed goat killing machine,for moderate ranges.

So,if I may suggest,take some stew meat sort of trimmings,shoulder area will be fine,season a little,shake in flour,brown in the skillet with a little butter.I leave it pink inside.

Thats it.Enjoy!

I'm impressed that I see no cactus in the pic!!Finesse.

I'm impressed that I see no cactus in the pic!!

Oh its there, trust me.

I'ts the Law of the West: When antelope hunting in Wyoming, any time you set, kneel, or go prone, you're into cactus.

As to ranging, I do simular only I do use a Mil Dot. This was a 270 Win, 150 Grn Hornady IBs at 2800 fps.

I normally carry it zeroed at 275 yards, its never 4 inches high or 4 inches low to 425 yards. ( the vital area of the normal antelope is 8.5-9 inches). So you aim at the center of the heart/lung area, you should be good.

The size, top of back to bottom of stomach of the average antelope is 15 inches. If you fit that 15 inches into your scope, and a 1 Mil or larger will mean the animal is in range. (15 inchs with 1 mil is 417 yards).

On this critter, it was a bit farther. I figured 600 so set the scope to hit at 600 and the picture tells the story.

Nice one! I shot my doe with an M1 Garand.

I'd post a pic, but messing with photobucket is too much work.

Last edited:
Nice buck you have there, Kraig!

Wish my pronghorn hunt was as successful. The drought conditions this summer wiped out the wild grass in my area. Over 9,000 sq acres to hunt and no luck.

Ever since I started posting in this forum I've wondered what a speed goat was. Now I know. Congratulations on a fine kill!

Back