Opening Day Speed Goat

kraigwy

Took me longer to get this guy then normal but still got him about 3PM.

I just couldn't get close this year like normal although they didn't seem too spooked (not as many hunters in my area as there normally is). Guess I was always in the wrong spot.

Caused me to break my rule of not hunting past 300 yards. This guy was 578 per my GPS.

I also lucked out by not messing up too much meat, I was worried about that since I was trying out my future Elk loads using 150 Interbonds out of my 270 Win. Lucked out by hitting him high in the lungs, in and out without hitting any meat.

Not a record by a long shot but respectable.

Antelope%202%20%20%2010-1.JPG

That's mighty fine shooting. I doubt I could have made a shot that long. That distance is even beyond what my rangefinder will register. I've never shot an antelope, but I notice that their lungs must be a bit further back than I would have guessed.:D

That distance is even beyond what my rangefinder will register.

Don't feel bad, my is suppose to go to 1200 but I'm lucky to get 450 on the pairee. Don't know what it is.

Anyway I used Mil Dots figuring the average antelope is 15 inches from the top of his back to the bottom of his stomack. So far the number has been pretty close.

I figured 600, only 22 yards off.

Nice shooting Kraig. I didn't make the trip out there this year and your picture reminded me of what great fun those trips are.

They're not antelope either, but that's besides the point. And don't forget the oryx population in NM...though that's not even close to native. The goat is just a nickname, much like prairie dogs are not dogs, nor are they sod poodles, picket pins, etc. Congrats on the kill. My dad got his this year with his new ML. That's sure some good meat. I wish I could raise and eat those on the same volume as we eat chicken and pork. It's better than beef by a long shot. Problem is that the steaks are so small, I usually eat 3 or so of them. That's a long poke at a little animal. Good shooting!

Congrats.

I just couldn't get close this year like normal although they didn't seem too spooked (not as many hunters in my area as there normally is). Guess I was always in the wrong spot.
Game and Fish really cut back the number of tags this year.
The unit I hunt, for example, had nearly 1,000 tags issued last year (resident, non-resident, bucks, and doe/fawn, all together). But, this year, there were just over 50 tags. A bordering unit had about 700 tags last year, and only 17 this year.

While other states around them seems to be issuing more tags to save struggling habitat and create smaller, yet stronger herds for next year (due to the drought); Wyoming seems to be taking the opposite approach: If they're gonna die, they're gonna die. Let mother nature do it, instead of hunters.

Hopefully, next year is better. (But I don't really expect anything to improve for at least 2 years.:()

Has anyone actually clocked one of these ? We were driving at a steady 55 when one joined us and paced us for quite a while then put the pedal to the metal and left us in the dust ! He must have reached 75 . I see all kinds of figures but has anyone actually clocked one ?

Those puppies are quick, that's why I would never shoot one running.

Let assume they are 200 yards away, you can't tell if they are running 30 MPH or 45 MPH.

The difference in lead would be about a difference of 5 ft lead.........more then enough to muff a shot, wounding or crippling the critter.

I guess you can call them what you will, but they are not goats or in the goat family.
Jerry

I know they're not in the goat family or goats. Everyone has just called them that for years in all the hunting magazines or whatever. If some take it as a slam against antelopes I apologize. :rolleyes:

Back