Open top 5” or 7.5”?

Bob Wright said:
Sorry, don't have photos of both. The Colt 1851 Navy Model introduced the famous "plow handle" grip, which was carried over on the 1873 Single Action Army. The Colt 1860 Army Model had a slightly longer grip, allowing all four fingers on the front strap.

The Army grip was carried over onto the 1872 Open Top revolver, and was, of course utilized on the Richards and Richards-Mason cartridge conversions.
Thanks, Bob. I see where my confusion arose. I completely forgot the older, open tops had the smaller grip frame.

I have always wanted one of these for casual plinking on paper at the range. Last week I placed an order through my local FFL for a 5 1/2" Navy version from Cimarron. It arrived and I hope to get to the range soon to try it out. Fit and finish are excellent. It's in 44 Special caliber.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good handload with 429421 style SWC lead lubed bullet with Unique?

Pietta 1851 snub nose with Taylor .45 Colt cylinder. Very nice trigger. Quite accurate with the .44 BP cylinder. Have not had a chance to shoot with the .45 cylinder installed.
Pete

.44 Spl load....try 6.0 - 7.5 grains of Unique. Also...try 5.0 grains of Bullseye.

Attachments

Last edited:
So I got the Cimarron .44 Special 5 1/2" Model 1872 replica. It shoots about 6" low with 44 special reduced recoil 240G JHP factory ammo.

I have a box of 1000 240 grain JHP's that I plan to use since my range will not allow cast lead bullets (dammit). Maybe 5.5 - 6 grains of Unique in a 44 Russian case?

Back