Open Carry not permitted in Fla

Tinbucket

Florida has pretty great Laws on obtaining a Carry Permit, however only "Concealed Carry" is allowed, I understand.
That's a bad idea in a state where laundry never dries.
So when we go there next trip I need to consider what to carry and how to manage doing it concealed.
I suppose only a flat small pistol is the idea but what holster and where is the most comfortable.
I remember in Nam I carried a small Colt model 25, I think .38 on base in shoulder holster but at times, I wore my flight jacket to conceal it when called for. I had to clan and oil that gun every day. I was on the coast and humidity was just about always near 70-80%.
In Daytona at a motel I carried a cardboard box from the lobby to the car. In that minute or so it turned to soft almost tissue like thing.
So what do you carry and where, and what kind of holster without feeling like a brick in your waistline?

"however only "Concealed Carry" is allowed,"

Not quite true: open carry is good for hunting, fishing, camping. See Section 790 statutes for more details..

So, carry a RoncoMatic Pocket fisherman on your left hip, and favorite firearm on your right hip, and you might not get cited!

might not get cited!

Pretty big MIGHT.............

I live in central FL, so no onshore cooling breeze. Has been in the 90s since May, average humidity is 85%, closer to 100 3-4 times during the day. We get PM T-storms and some pretty heavy rain. Yet the paper towels in the roller by the outdoor sink near the pool are dry as can be. Point being, it isn't an insurmountable weather or temperature scenario. This is especially true if you come here when you should - Nov-Apr. ;)
I tend to pocket carry because I wear shorts 360/365 days a year and about half the time, they are those basketball/fishing type of shorts with only a drawstring for a "belt". Anything heavier than a LCP and things can get problematic in public quickly!

Wipe it down and it is GTG.

If you are the type with a sweat that causes rust quickly, use a holster with some form of barrier if IWB or carry OWB with a loose shirt on.

Where you might have more issues is the going back and forth between cold and hot.

So what do you carry and where, and what kind of holster without feeling like a brick in your waistline?
Either a Glock 26 in a pocket holster or a S&W J-frame 649 in a pocket holster

Glock 19 in a Comp-Tac Spartan under an untucked t-shirt. I always wear pants with belts, did even before I got my first permit years ago.

I'm with FITASC. When I lived in FL, I wore cargo shorts most days. Nice, big front pockets. Perfect for pocket carry. I used a Desantis Nemisis pocket holster to hide the profile and protect from sweat.

I've been carrying in Florida since a few months after statewide permits were issued in 1987. It's not that bad. Summer is long, but not really hotter than a lot of places up north. My EDC is a Glock 26 in an IWB holster. I wear an undershirt under it and a tail-out shirt (very popular here for comfort, and no one gives it a second look). There are some light sports coats around for times when I need to dress up. A pocket pistol is also in my stable (Sig P238) for situations when an IWB doesn't work. Overall, just use a pistol that isn't particularly rust prone, carry it how you are comfortable, and wipe it off if it gets sweaty.

It sure is warm and hot in the south during summer. Yet if you look at what people tend to wear --big shorts, roomy t-shirts or tanks, they certainly allow for plenty of room to carry.

These days I've got a wee .380 subcompacct mouse gun I carry IWB or in especially trying circumstances with regards to clothes, off-body in a purse.

There's always a fanny pack as an option and while gun people may notice, the average person does not and at most might imagine you to be a somewhat fashion-challenged european tourist (we have plenty of those so it is hardly uncommon!)

I'm a native Floridian and its only bad to tourists who aren't used to the humidity. Otherwise you do sweat but paper doesn't get soggy. I've also carried since permits started in Florida. With summer dress I carry a small pistol in my front or back pockets. Like mentions already, shirt tails out. For winter dress I carry a 357 in waistband or jacket pocket. When I visit Miami, Orlando or Jacksonville I carry every minute. At home and away from those towns I don't carry as often.

I believe that a year of two ago you could be cited for open carrying even if your concealed weapon became visible after a wind blew your shirt up. I'm pretty sure that recent legislation did away with that. Someone (besides my my wife) correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe that a year of two ago you could be cited for open carrying even if your concealed weapon became visible after a wind blew your shirt up. I'm pretty sure that recent legislation did away with that. Someone (besides my my wife) correct me if I'm wrong.

More than a couple of years ago. I moved from FL 3+ years ago and it had already been corrected then so that "inadvertent and brief" display was safe.

When I visit Miami, Orlando or Jacksonville I carry every minute. At home and away from those towns I don't carry as often.

Add the greater Tampa Bay region to that list.........Not an issue in Cedar Key, Apalachicola and similar locales.

More than a couple of years ago. I moved from FL 3+ years ago and it had already been corrected then so that "inadvertent and brief" display was safe.
Yep they did amend things to a degree. depends where you are when brief display occurs. Anti gunner raises enough hell about it you got problems. LE will let the judicial system sort it out

It was supposed to help mitigate those inadvertent reveals such as reaching for your wallet at a gas station or similar where there was no intent to try and brandish or intimidate someone.

Glock 36 45ACP in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB. Been carrying since 1987. Lived with the heat and humidity in Miami since 1950, so it's no problem.

It seems we will remain on the no OC list for the forseeable future.

As already correctly noted: there’s nothing ‘special’ about carrying concealed in Florida – IWB holster and any gun designed for concealed carry works fine.

I live in South Florida (almost in the Everglades) and I don't find carry to be a big deal. My normal carry is a CZ P-01 in an Aliengear 2.0 with jeans and a slightly generously sized T-shirt. Only issue is one of my grip screws rusting from sweat on the side that rubs against me.

The Glock 43 is a very popular choice here. Easy to carry and conceal but also decent to shoot.

Wipe gun w/ good dose of RIG and sweat induced rust will be minimal or non-exhistant.
Always wiope guns w/ RIG before putting in rack or vault. I use a 'cuff' for storage and always wipe even if I think Im going out shooting again next week.

Back