Open Carry - In Your Face!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Antipitas.

Webleymkv said:
What I'm trying to say is that I don't base my good guy/bad guy assessment on whether or not the individual in question has a gun.

I don't either. I'm not saying that OC = bad guy. I'm saying that OC = something dangerous nearby; good sense and self-preservation require I pay attention to whose OCing because it really matters whether the person OCing is a good guy or a bad guy, AND ALSO whether he or she knows what they're doing with a gun- under what circumstances will they take the gun out and use it, how expert are they at judging situations vis-a-vis inserting a gun into it, can they shoot straight enough to miss me and my family. Anyone with a gun warrants that scrutiny because guns can kill people and everyone knows it. But not everyone wants to deal with that or even recognize all the things that have just become important when an OCer comes near- even life or death for them- they just have a sense that the presence of a gun near them has profound implications and 99% of those implications bode ill for the observer if the OCer isn't all the way up to competent with a gun in public situations. In some places there's no proof or requirement that OCers be so which adds to the doubt.

I go on alert and assess the situation around us, and plan contingency tactics because that's my nature and what my training and experience have taught me, and I'm familiar with guns and in favor of our gun rights. Someone who isn't in favor of gun rights or hasn't thought about it before, in the presence of someone OCing, is apt to have a fear reaction and/or a negative reaction- "get those guns away from me, they make me nervous!" because of all the factors a nearby gun brings with it, and they become actively engaged in reducing their discomfort with a lot of guns nearby. OCing has the potential to take someone otherwise and previously uninvolved with guns because they never had to deal with them, and turn them into antis when all at once guns in the hands of unknown strangers has put guns and all that comes with them "right in their face" against their wishes.

...so long as the individual in question behaves appropriately, I am no more threatened by him than anyone else I meet.

That's naive in the extreme- I hate "what-ifs" because they are specific about events and there's a million such specificities. But here's one anyway- if someone wanted to shoot up a Starbucks, would they only do so by rushing into the place in a flurry and start shooting? Nope, they might just come in like any average customer, get in line for their latte frappochino como-se-chaima, setting everyone at ease that they're just another customer (that's the reaction the OC missionaries expect to generate) thereby insuring themselves of a lot of easy targets, and while waiting, take out the Glock and start in. But you, having seen them to be behaving in a manner you judge to be "appropriate", and anyone else that has "learned the lesson" of the OC mission, have turned their attention from them, regarding them as just an everyday person. I will not have turned away from them- upon seeing the gun I will have spotted a table I could overturn to hide behind or some other easily accessible shelter, or the door, and if I have my CC Walther or my Beretta aboard I will have thought of how it could be brought into some useful service should things go bad- it's called "staying ahead of the situation" and it's a valuable part of tactics when the excrement hits the fan. Others in Starbucks who have no direct experience with guns, see the OCer, have an untrained, inexperienced reaction to the gun and become afraid that a potential shooting event just showed up- "why would anyone carry a gun so obviously unless they intended to use it, either as the first cause, or in some reaction not certain to be appropriate, as a response?" I have no other way I'm comfortable with when a gun shows up at Starbucks, or any other such otherwise non-gun place; many don't or won't want to have to have any reaction at all.

...You assume that anyone who chooses to OC is "untrained and inexperienced" and that they are a "wannabe cowboy"..

Because in the absence of any evidence otherwise, and in a place where training and experience aren't required to OC, there's a great possibility (not a certainty, a possibility- as I said, this isn't a binary situation, it is nuanced through and through) that that's just what they are. And even with all the credentials, a lot of non-gun or anti-gun people have applied the "cowboy" tag anyway to OCing and resent that they've been brought to the Deadwood Saloon, because that's where they learned what they think they know about openly carried guns.

CC guns, when done right, cause no such reaction in public places from anybody- no one has to react to an armed person because no one sees anyone to be armed. The whole issue doesn't come up and so no negative feelings, no fears, no uneasiness with privately owned handguns, no doubts about 2A rights get brought forth. Anyone truly interested in preserving gun rights and really interested in having the general public be at least indifferent to guns ought to see that OC has the potential to damage both of those. If, on the other hand, jamming gun rights "in the face" of those who didn't ask for it are the intentions and negative public relations are okay in order to achieve that, then OCing serves the antis better than it serve the "pros".

If one's whole reason for OCing is "look at me, I'm armed and so deal with things at a life-or-death level all the time so I'm significant, I'm a SOMEbody!", and that fills missing things in one's self-image- it's a mating display meant to attract potential "mates" with a display of power under one's control which meets a missing sense of macho or power or virility or maturity- in short, it'a all about advertising and nothing else, then that's a huge and irresponsible use of our gun rights. When someone wearing a gun only as jewellery gets into a situation where what the gun really is- a device for killing- gets brought into play, the check written by using the gun only as an article of clothing gets cashed, and God help anyone within range.

...if the guy at Starbucks removes his gun from its holster, I'm going to be wary of him. However, the danger of that happening is no greater than that of one of the strangers at the range picking their gun up off the bench and loading it after you gone down to check your target.

Right, and alerting to that possibility prudently comes with the presence of a gun and a lack of unwarranted confidence in strangers. When I'm at the range I'm depending on the discipline and mental state of those who are there shooting, and there's some risk that such confidence is misplaced. I'm prepared to take that risk if necessary, but most often conspire to go to the range when the fewest number of others are there. Someone who hasn't any experience with guns, has a generally fearful reaction to them and hasn't chosen to go among armed people as I have when I go to the range, might easily be made uncomfortable with that risk, uneasy that they've been forced to have that confidence in a stranger whose talents with a personal firearm are unknown when someone OCing shows up where they are in public. They could easily "jump off the fence" to the side of being vocal antis so as to remove that intrusion on their sense of safety and comfort.

I don't view anyone as trustworthy or untrustworthy without gathering some information on which to base such an assessment. Jumping to conclusions will usually land you the wrong one.

Right, but the presence of a gun brings with it a whole lot more and stringent criteria for such a judgment. Assuming benevolence on the part of an OCer is "jumping to conclusions" and is particularly ill advised since they clearly have the power of life and death at hand.

...I don't see any information suggesting that there is a higher crime rate or higher incidence of accidental shootings in places where OC is legal.

Okay, tell that to those who are intimidated by an OC gun at the mall or in line at McDonald's. I'm sure that will make them supporters of OC.

Olibobwa said:
... If it's open carry or nothing then you've got to do what you've got to do.

I entirely agree

Olibobwa said:
At the range or in the woods or somewhere known for serious crime yeah no big deal...But Starbucks?... or Walmart or the Mall? Come on this isn't Baghdad.

Do you carry your concealed gun at Starbucks, Walmart or the Mall?

OPEN CARRY

Any time,anywhere,not in the new world order,if u want to be ur own man,and call all the shots,then u have to buy yourself an island that isnt part:d of any territory of any country declare ur self king,OPEN CARRY HAS NO TACTICAL ADVANTAGE,(DEADLY TEDLY)

OPEN CARRY HAS NO TACTICAL ADVANTAGE,(DEADLY TEDLY)

Other than allowing you to carry a larger, more effective handgun in a holster that does not require you to dig through layers of clothing to get to? Other than that, yeah.....

Well, then, Olibobwa...

I hope you never find yourself in this Wal Mart, or in this shopping mall, or in this church, or in this office building, or on this playground.

andrewstorm said:
Any time,anywhere,not in the new world order,if u want to be ur own man,and call all the shots,then u have to buy yourself an island that isnt part:d of any territory of any country declare ur self king

No, andrewstorm, but I can and will declare myself the king of my own self defense and the defense of those I care about by carrying a gun on my belt. And if you don't like the fact that I declare that fact publicly, then feel free to stay the heck away from me.

LT, I hope he does not go to THAT shopping mall, either. I hope nobody does: It is STILL a GFZ. You can't fix stupid, I guess.

Well, then, Olibobwa...

I hope you never find yourself in this Wal Mart, or in this shopping mall, or in this church, or in this office building, or on this playground.

I think you missed the point of the thread. The point is would open carry serve a purpose that cc couldn't. your washington walmart, shopping mall, church, office building, and playground don't scare me. I'll walk anywhere cc that you'll walk oc.

Olibobwa said:
The point is would open carry serve a purpose that cc couldn't.

Yes. OC serves multiple purposes that CC cannot serve and none of those purposes has anything to do with the size of my manhood or ego.

Yes. OC serves multiple purposes that CC cannot serve and none of those purposes has anything to do with the size of my manhood or ego.

The only purpose i want my gun to serve is to protect my life. It's not there to make a statement. If you're open carrying when the shtf you're then committed to pulling the weapon. You're needlessly escalating the situation. I'd rather you sit back there and keep your mouth shut instead of initiating a gun fight in the middle of a crowd. Bottom line, nobody who's going to rob a Starbucks is there to shoot anybody and anybody who walks in starbucks with the intention of killing someone isn't going to give a damn what you have on your hip. I see no logic in OC.

Olibobwa said:
The only purpose i want my gun to serve is to protect my life. It's not there to make a statement. If you're open carrying when the shtf you're then committed to pulling the weapon. You're needlessly escalating the situation. I'd rather you sit back there and keep your mouth shut instead of initiating a gun fight in the middle of a crowd. Bottom line, nobody who's going to rob a Starbucks is there to shoot anybody and anybody who walks in starbucks with the intention of killing someone isn't going to give a damn what you have on your hip. I see no logic in OC.

1. On a personal crime level - IE: mugging: If the mugger is waiting for a target to come along, and he sees me AND MY GUN, the mugger is more than likely not looking to shoot anybody, and just as likely not looking to get shot at either. Would it not be much easier for the mugger to let me walk on by and wait two minutes for the next target to come along who does not appear to be armed? Now, if that next target happens to be you, the concealed carrier... who do you think got the better end of that deal? You said it yourself of the small time criminal, "Bottom line, nobody who's going to rob a Starbucks is there to shoot anybody"

2. If the person who is going to rob the Starbucks has any intelligence at all they are going to check the place out first. And what happens when small time crooks find someone open carrying in a place they are hoping to hit?

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atla...8-Open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-in-Kennesaw

"The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store."

"The criminals informed the police that they had changed their mind upon discovering armed customers and were waiting for Matt and J.P. to leave"

"Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew."

So, again, if the patrons in the Waffle House had been concealed carrying instead of open carrying, who do you think would have ended up with the better deal?

And remember, the only reason the above story got reported was because of the coincidence of the police coming upon the scene at just the right time. How many times has the above happened when the police haven't been there and the criminals either went somewhere else or waited for the armed patrons to leave? We'll never know.

What you will not find, in the media, however, is any case where an open carrier has actually escalated the situation. Well, not unless you count this incident as escalation:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/SHOT121_20090711-230802/279571/

"A gunman who had wounded a shopkeeper and opened fire on several customers was stopped yesterday when another man shot him at the store in South Richmond, authorities said."

"The man who shot the robber is a friend of the store owner, and he was wearing a holster with a Western-style revolver, said Managing Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Tracy Thorne-Begland."

The only purpose i want my gun to serve is to protect my life. It's not there to make a statement.

The best personal protection is the one that does not need to leave the holster to protect. That is the difference between deterrence and defense. The gun being concealed can not offer deterrence.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Uncle Billy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv
What I'm trying to say is that I don't base my good guy/bad guy assessment on whether or not the individual in question has a gun.
I don't either. I'm not saying that OC = bad guy. I'm saying that OC = something dangerous nearby; good sense and self-preservation require I pay attention to whose OCing because it really matters whether the person OCing is a good guy or a bad guy, AND ALSO whether he or she knows what they're doing with a gun- under what circumstances will they take the gun out and use it, how expert are they at judging situations vis-a-vis inserting a gun into it, can they shoot straight enough to miss me and my family. Anyone with a gun warrants that scrutiny because guns can kill people and everyone knows it. But not everyone wants to deal with that or even recognize all the things that have just become important when an OCer comes near- even life or death for them- they just have a sense that the presence of a gun near them has profound implications and 99% of those implications bode ill for the observer if the OCer isn't all the way up to competent with a gun in public situations. In some places there's no proof or requirement that OCers be so which adds to the doubt.

You're taking a "guilty until proven innocent" approach to anyone you see OCing (which is probably very rare to non-existant in New York). You assume that they have questionable intentions and/or judgement until they prove otherwise. The problem I see here is this: those with nefarious intentions don't prefer OC as it ruins their element of surprise. Someone who OC's is no more dangerous than someone who CC's. I would be much more worried about someone that I see fidgeting with a poorly concealed gun than someone I see with a pistol carried openly in a holster on their belt. At least with OC, their gunhandling skills are more easily observable. Basically, I'm more worried about the gun I can't see than the one I can. An openly carried gun represents no more danger to me than a concealed one (arguably less) so I don't see the point of becoming so preoccupied by an OCer that I may miss suspicious activity elsewhere. An openly carried gun in and of itself just isn't enough reason to draw any more suspicion than I would have towards anyone else.

I go on alert and assess the situation around us, and plan contingency tactics because that's my nature and what my training and experience have taught me, and I'm familiar with guns and in favor of our gun rights. Someone who isn't in favor of gun rights or hasn't thought about it before, in the presence of someone OCing, is apt to have a fear reaction and/or a negative reaction- "get those guns away from me, they make me nervous!" because of all the factors a nearby gun brings with it, and they become actively engaged in reducing their discomfort with a lot of guns nearby. OCing has the potential to take someone otherwise and previously uninvolved with guns because they never had to deal with them, and turn them into antis when all at once guns in the hands of unknown strangers has put guns and all that comes with them "right in their face" against their wishes.

I just can't buy this notion that the majority of the public is inherently afraid of guns. Every attempt at gun control at the federal level since 1994 has gone down in flames, Federal legislation that protects the gun industry from frivolous lawsuits, bans improper use of NICS data, and allows carry in national parks has all become law, right-to-carry laws have spread like wildfire, and the Supreme Court seems to be siding with us. If the majority of the public was frightened of guns, I very much doubt that all these things would have come to pass. As I said before, the antis and their cohorts in the media are shrill as ever but fewer and fewer people seem to be listening.

Quote:
...so long as the individual in question behaves appropriately, I am no more threatened by him than anyone else I meet.
That's naive in the extreme- I hate "what-ifs" because they are specific about events and there's a million such specificities. But here's one anyway- if someone wanted to shoot up a Starbucks, would they only do so by rushing into the place in a flurry and start shooting? Nope, they might just come in like any average customer, get in line for their latte frappochino como-se-chaima, setting everyone at ease that they're just another customer (that's the reaction the OC missionaries expect to generate) thereby insuring themselves of a lot of easy targets, and while waiting, take out the Glock and start in. But you, having seen them to be behaving in a manner you judge to be "appropriate", and anyone else that has "learned the lesson" of the OC mission, have turned their attention from them, regarding them as just an everyday person. I will not have turned away from them- upon seeing the gun I will have spotted a table I could overturn to hide behind or some other easily accessible shelter, or the door, and if I have my CC Walther or my Beretta aboard I will have thought of how it could be brought into some useful service should things go bad- it's called "staying ahead of the situation" and it's a valuable part of tactics when the excrement hits the fan. Others in Starbucks who have no direct experience with guns, see the OCer, have an untrained, inexperienced reaction to the gun and become afraid that a potential shooting event just showed up- "why would anyone carry a gun so obviously unless they intended to use it, either as the first cause, or in some reaction not certain to be appropriate, as a response?" I have no other way I'm comfortable with when a gun shows up at Starbucks, or any other such otherwise non-gun place; many don't or won't want to have to have any reaction at all.

In Phoenix, AZ where open carry is legal and fairly common the violent crime rate is 7.17 per 1,000 residents. In Chicago, IL where open (or any type of carry) is illegal, the violent crime rate is 12.12 per 1,000 residents. In Dallas, TX where concealed carry is legal but open carry is not the violent crime rate is 13.61 per 1,000 residents. In Indianapolis, IN where open carry is legal but not particularly common, the violent crime rate is 7.71 per 1,000 residents. I don't think that criminals are using open carry to hide their guns in plain sight. You have just as much, if not more, to fear from a concealed handgun than an openly carried one. The source for these statistics is the following website:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/

Quote:
...You assume that anyone who chooses to OC is "untrained and inexperienced" and that they are a "wannabe cowboy"..
Because in the absence of any evidence otherwise, and in a place where training and experience aren't required to OC, there's a great possibility (not a certainty, a possibility- as I said, this isn't a binary situation, it is nuanced through and through) that that's just what they are. And even with all the credentials, a lot of non-gun or anti-gun people have applied the "cowboy" tag anyway to OCing and resent that they've been brought to the Deadwood Saloon, because that's where they learned what they think they know about openly carried guns.

Training and experience are not required to legally carry concealed in Alaska, Vermont, or Indiana and none of these places seem to have any more problems than anywhere else. There is an absence of evidence that OCers are, as a whole, any less trained, experienced, mature or responsible than CCers as a whole. There is also an absence of evidence to suggest that the majority or even a large percentage is so inherently fearful of guns that they will suddenly have such a negative reaction to the sight of an open carrier.

CC guns, when done right, cause no such reaction in public places from anybody- no one has to react to an armed person because no one sees anyone to be armed. The whole issue doesn't come up and so no negative feelings, no fears, no uneasiness with privately owned handguns, no doubts about 2A rights get brought forth. Anyone truly interested in preserving gun rights and really interested in having the general public be at least indifferent to guns ought to see that OC has the potential to damage both of those. If, on the other hand, jamming gun rights "in the face" of those who didn't ask for it are the intentions and negative public relations are okay in order to achieve that, then OCing serves the antis better than it serve the "pros".

If everyone CC's and hides their rights out of fear of offending the antis, then most people are only going to get one side of the argument. The antis and the media will demonize any type of carry at all, and responsible open carry visibly proves them wrong.

If one's whole reason for OCing is "look at me, I'm armed and so deal with things at a life-or-death level all the time so I'm significant, I'm a SOMEbody!", and that fills missing things in one's self-image- it's a mating display meant to attract potential "mates" with a display of power under one's control which meets a missing sense of macho or power or virility or maturity- in short, it'a all about advertising and nothing else, then that's a huge and irresponsible use of our gun rights. When someone wearing a gun only as jewellery gets into a situation where what the gun really is- a device for killing- gets brought into play, the check written by using the gun only as an article of clothing gets cashed, and God help anyone within range.

The whole point behind the open carry movement is to say "look at me, I can be armed and still be a safe, responsible citizen," this is a message that concealed carry cannot deliver. It isn't about trying to be macho, flashy, or intimidating, it's about setting a good example.

Quote:
...if the guy at Starbucks removes his gun from its holster, I'm going to be wary of him. However, the danger of that happening is no greater than that of one of the strangers at the range picking their gun up off the bench and loading it after you gone down to check your target.
Right, and alerting to that possibility prudently comes with the presence of a gun and a lack of unwarranted confidence in strangers. When I'm at the range I'm depending on the discipline and mental state of those who are there shooting, and there's some risk that such confidence is misplaced. I'm prepared to take that risk if necessary, but most often conspire to go to the range when the fewest number of others are there. Someone who hasn't any experience with guns, has a generally fearful reaction to them and hasn't chosen to go among armed people as I have when I go to the range, might easily be made uncomfortable with that risk, uneasy that they've been forced to have that confidence in a stranger whose talents with a personal firearm are unknown when someone OCing shows up where they are in public. They could easily "jump off the fence" to the side of being vocal antis so as to remove that intrusion on their sense of safety and comfort.

Well, I guess I'm just a lot more confident in my situational awareness skills than you are because I am not going to revolve my hobby around when someone unsafe might be at the range. Instead, I rely on my powers of observation to determine if the others at the range are being unsafe or irresponsible. If they are, then I will say something or leave. If I observe no such behavior, then I will enjoy an afternoon at the range. The same applies to anywhere else I choose to go: I give an OCer the same amount of scrutiny that I give anyone else because anyone might be armed and anyone might have bad intentions. Also, while it is possible that a fence-sitter might become antis due to their perceived "safety bubble" being burst, they might also observe that the OCer appears to be a responsible adult and ponder upon the fact that the mayhem and carnage that the antis told them follows guns did not come to pass. They could just as easily be swayed to our side of the fence.

Quote:
...I don't see any information suggesting that there is a higher crime rate or higher incidence of accidental shootings in places where OC is legal.
Okay, tell that to those who are intimidated by an OC gun at the mall or in line at McDonald's. I'm sure that will make them supporters of OC.

Ask those same people about their thoughts on CC. I doubt they are in favor of it.

1. What if the next person were a woman? Or somebody you knew? Somebody who couldn't handle it and ended up getting hurt?

2. It's not the 10 that are averted, it's the one where they don't realize that someone's armed until they past the point of no return.

The best personal protection is the one that does not need to leave the holster to protect. That is the difference between deterrence and defense. The gun being concealed can not offer deterrence.

There's a difference between a bark and a bite. If they're prepared to pull the trigger to get what they want, then the only part of the gun that is going to deter them is tip of a bullet. I'll take a tactical advantage.

i understand what you're saying, I just don't agree with it. I do respect that you've tried to civilly and intelligently support your opinion, but I just find open carry antagonistic. My opinions may change over time and that may be due to something I hear you say or something that somebody else says. What I'm saying is I hope we can both take away the best from the others points of view.

Bottom line is we're the good guys and two heads are better than one:)

Webleymkv: said:
You're taking a "guilty until proven innocent" approach to anyone you see OCing (which is probably very rare to non-existant in New York). You assume that they have questionable intentions and/or judgement until they prove otherwise.

You see things in binary- either it's one or the other, when nothing is that simple. I assume nothing at all; I've not said that clear enough I guess. I see a gun (OC or flawed CC) and I see a device that could kill me- that's not an assumption, it's a simple truth. I have no reason or evidence to conclude anything about the skills and intentions of who's carrying it; I assume nothing about them because there's no concrete evidence to draw conclusions from. But their possession of something that could kill me makes who they are, what they know and what they are up to - the evidence the lack of which precludes forming a conclusion about them- very important. My reaction is to alert on the person with the gun because of its presence in the hands of someone with unknown skills and intentions close to me. "Situational awareness", pure and simple. Those not used to having guns close to them also have a reaction, and it's my contention that it won't be one that's positive about OC since they didn't agree to be in the situation they are in. Your assumption that it's all taken up with preoccupation with an OCer, and your inability to see the difference between the known presence of a gun and no presence of a gun indicates your understanding of "situational awareness" needs work.

In Phoenix, AZ where open carry is legal and fairly common the violent crime rate is 7.17 per 1,000 residents. In Chicago, IL where open (or any type of carry) is illegal, the violent crime rate is 12.12 per 1,000 residents. In Dallas, TX where concealed carry is legal but open carry is not the violent crime rate is 13.61 per 1,000 residents. In Indianapolis, IN where open carry is legal but not particularly common, the violent crime rate is 7.71 per 1,000 residents.

Gun laws are not the only way those cities are very different from each other, by far- how many ways is Phoenix different from Chicago? The difference in their crime rates has many more causes than just the difference in their gun laws.

There is also an absence of evidence to suggest that the majority or even a large percentage is so inherently fearful of guns that they will suddenly have such a negative reaction to the sight of an open carrier.

Is there evidence that a large percentage of non-gun people are in favor of OC?

The antis and the media will demonize any type of carry at all, and responsible open carry visibly proves them wrong.

OC of any sort frightens and mobilizes a lot of otherwise disinterested people, because guns intimidate them and gun violence frightens them, and they resent having to deal with guns and thus that fear and intimidation so overtly and aggressively injected into their presence. Nothing else matters a damn to them. Another detestable "what if": "OH, look! There's someone with a pistol on their belt, sitting here in the mall with a Coke. That's a pistol that could kill us if they wanted to. Why did they bring a deadly weapon here? What do they have in mind? If something happens, will they take it out and begin shooting? What if we get in the way? What if they are insane? What if they want to be like the guy in Texas that shot up a McDonald's and do that here in the mall? How come I have to deal with this danger? It's legal?? Well, that does it- where to I sign up to stop this cowboy stuff? That's a nice suit, though, which guarantees the gun couldn't hurt us. Never mind"- yeah, right.

The whole point behind the open carry movement is to say "look at me, I can be armed and still be a safe, responsible citizen," this is a message that concealed carry cannot deliver. It isn't about trying to be macho, flashy, or intimidating, it's about setting a good example.

I see, guns as political statements, as teaching tools, as props in a theater drama, as part of a costume. That's like the kid who does burnouts in front of your house telling you that his real purpose in doing that in your face is to make you like the smell of tire smoke and the sound of a red-lined small block and Cherry Bombs. That's what handguns and OC are for- they are tools of persuasion and intimidation, holstered or not. All that stuff about killing and such isn't really what they are about. Yeah, right.

Well, I guess I'm just a lot more confident in my situational awareness skills than you are because I am not going to revolve my hobby around when someone unsafe might be at the range. Instead, I rely on my powers of observation to determine if the others at the range are being unsafe or irresponsible. If they are, then I will say something or leave. If I observe no such behavior, then I will enjoy an afternoon at the range.

Give them a glance, and see at that moment what they are doing is okay with you, and then ignore them from then on? Your confidence in your situational awareness skills is misplaced.

...they might also observe that the OCer appears to be a responsible adult and ponder upon the fact that the mayhem and carnage that the antis told them follows guns did not come to pass..."

"Oh, look! There's a well-dressed guy with a big pistol on his belt. He's just sitting there with his coffee. Must be all the gun violence I read about was a lie, all the stuff I've seen in movies and on TV about how guns can really mess you up were fictions, those times when someone with a pistol killed folks in churches, Burger King, college classrooms, high schools and shopping centers like this one must have been phony, the presidents and political leaders that were assassinated must have died some other way than by guns, because there's this guy just sitting there with a pistol, and his calm, well-dressed persona is all there is to know about guns and me". Yeah, right.

... Ask those same people about their thoughts on CC. I doubt they are in favor of it.

They won't have any reaction to a CCW if they don't see it and thus don't have to react to a gun close by that intimidates them like they would to an OCW. The only responsible purpose for carrying a weapon is to protect one's self and the people he or she is responsible for. Carrying a gun for any other reason, especially as a waving red flag for gun rights among the otherwise disinterested, will backfire more than it won't in most of the places I've been, and in my opinion is an irresponsible misuse of our gun rights. Period.

Last edited:
I think a lot of you guys are taking your own fears (propaganda born) and projecting them onto everyone. AN oc weapon intimidates YOU in line at McD's so you spout that others are intimidated.

I was in line at walmart about a month ago and I see an older guy OC a weapon on his belt. I stepped back to let the hoardes of screaming get through and run for the door but they didn't run and scream.

Maybe closer to your house they scream?:p

Edward429451: said:
I think a lot of you guys are taking your own fears (propaganda born) and projecting them onto everyone. AN oc weapon intimidates YOU in line at McD's so you spout that others are intimidated.

"Fear", "intimidation" and "propaganda" are the only sources you can think of? I know they are very long, but reading my posts and understanding what I tried to say might educate you better in where I'm coming from. But if you aren't into thinking about what I wrote, if your conclusions are drawn and written in stone and all you care to know is that they're different from mine, then it really doesn't matter what you think because you aren't much of a thinker. I think my responses are prudent precautions that came from my training and my experiences of maybe 60 years of being around guns and people with guns in a multitude of situations and places, a multitude of different sorts of people, with a lot of different outcomes. YMMV, and recognizing that others have legit reasons for what they take as truth might make you less apt to misjudge those you differ with.

What happens in Colorado is almost certainly going to be different in nature and degree than what happens elsewhere because there's no place in the US that defines the cultural climate for every other place. Some are close, some are wide apart in social paradigms. That's obvious, isn't it? If the people in Colorado are OK with OC and no one will be energized against gun rights because of it, good for them and for us. But it's foolish to assume the entire rest of the country, urban, suburban and rural will react exactly like that.

A WalMart in Colorado hardly defines the entire US population's response to OC, CC or guns in general. I point that out in case your horizons stop at the state line.

Originally posted by Uncle Billy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv:
You're taking a "guilty until proven innocent" approach to anyone you see OCing (which is probably very rare to non-existant in New York). You assume that they have questionable intentions and/or judgement until they prove otherwise.
You see things in binary- either it's one or the other, when nothing is that simple. I assume nothing at all; I've not said that clear enough I guess. I see a gun (OC or flawed CC) and I see a device that could kill me- that's not an assumption, it's a simple truth. I have no reason or evidence to conclude anything about the skills and intentions of who's carrying it; I assume nothing about them because there's no concrete evidence to draw conclusions from.

In one post you say that OCers are "untrained and inexperienced wannabe cowboys" and now you say that you assume nothing. So which is it?

But their possession of something that could kill me makes who they are, what they know and what they are up to - the evidence the lack of which precludes forming a conclusion about them- very important. My reaction is to alert on the person with the gun because of its presence in the hands of someone with unknown skills and intentions close to me. "Situational awareness", pure and simple. Those not used to having guns close to them also have a reaction, and it's my contention that it won't be one that's positive about OC since they didn't agree to be in the situation they are in. Your assumption that it's all taken up with preoccupation with an OCer, and your inability to see the difference between the known presence of a gun and no presence of a gun indicates your understanding of "situational awareness" needs work.

You're still missing my point. Why should I give the OCer any more attention than the guy standing next to him who might also have a gun and might also have bad intentions. If you're going to go on high alert about an openly carried gun, you'd better go on high alert about everyone you meet because any one of them could have a deadly weapon. Also, I've yet to see evidence that the reactions of non-gun people will be so overwhelming negative as you suggest. I just can't buy that the population in general is that afraid of guns.

Quote:
In Phoenix, AZ where open carry is legal and fairly common the violent crime rate is 7.17 per 1,000 residents. In Chicago, IL where open (or any type of carry) is illegal, the violent crime rate is 12.12 per 1,000 residents. In Dallas, TX where concealed carry is legal but open carry is not the violent crime rate is 13.61 per 1,000 residents. In Indianapolis, IN where open carry is legal but not particularly common, the violent crime rate is 7.71 per 1,000 residents.
Gun laws are not the only way those cities are very different from each other, by far- how many ways is Phoenix different from Chicago? The difference in their crime rates has many more causes than just the difference in their gun laws.

You're not seeing the forest for the trees. The point is that criminals are not hiding behind open carry and that a comparison of violent crime rates supports this.

Quote:
There is also an absence of evidence to suggest that the majority or even a large percentage is so inherently fearful of guns that they will suddenly have such a negative reaction to the sight of an open carrier.
Is there evidence that a large percentage of non-gun people are in favor of OC?

Well, the majority of those who have posted their OC experiences here haven't reported negative reactions and the waning support for gun control over the past sixteen years doesn't support the idea that most people are inherently afraid of guns. Also, there is no evidence that they are as opposed to OC as you suggest.

Quote:
The antis and the media will demonize any type of carry at all, and responsible open carry visibly proves them wrong.
OC of any sort frightens and mobilizes a lot of otherwise disinterested people, because guns intimidate them and gun violence frightens them, and they resent having to deal with guns and thus that fear and intimidation so overtly and aggressively injected into their presence. Nothing else matters a damn to them. Another detestable "what if": "OH, look! There's someone with a pistol on their belt, sitting here in the mall with a Coke. That's a pistol that could kill us if they wanted to. Why did they bring a deadly weapon here? What do they have in mind? If something happens, will they take it out and begin shooting? What if we get in the way? What if they are insane? What if they want to be like the guy in Texas that shot up a McDonald's and do that here in the mall? How come I have to deal with this danger? It's legal?? Well, that does it- where to I sign up to stop this cowboy stuff? That's a nice suit, though, which guarantees the gun couldn't hurt us. Never mind"- yeah, right.

"OC is bad because it scares people and turns them into antis", that has been pretty much your only argument throughout this thread, but you've yet to provide any evidence to back it up. Do you have any proof that the majority of the American Public is as frightened of guns as you claim they are? I am beginning to wonder if OC scares most people, or if OC simply scares you.

Quote:
I see, guns as political statements, as teaching tools, as props in a theater drama, as part of a costume. That's like the kid who does burnouts in front of your house telling you that his real purpose in doing that in your face is to make you like the smell of tire smoke and the sound of a red-lined small block and Cherry Bombs. That's what handguns and OC are for- they are tools of persuasion and intimidation, holstered or not. All that stuff about killing and such isn't really what they are about. Yeah, right.

This doesn't even make sense. Are you suggesting that anyone who carries a gun must be doing so because they intend to kill someone? If OC is about intimidation, then a lot of OCers must not be very good at it because many times their guns aren't even noticed. Is it so hard to understand that the message OC hopes to get across is "look, just because I have a gun does not mean that I'm a violent criminal."

Quote:
Well, I guess I'm just a lot more confident in my situational awareness skills than you are because I am not going to revolve my hobby around when someone unsafe might be at the range. Instead, I rely on my powers of observation to determine if the others at the range are being unsafe or irresponsible. If they are, then I will say something or leave. If I observe no such behavior, then I will enjoy an afternoon at the range.
Give them a glance, and see at that moment what they are doing is okay with you, and then ignore them from then on? Your confidence in your situational awareness skills is misplaced.

Give the guy who might be carrying concealed a glance. Just because he doesn't have a visible weapon and doesn't appear to be doing anything unusual at the moment you ignore him from then on? Are you sure it is my awareness skills that are misplaced?

Quote:
...they might also observe that the OCer appears to be a responsible adult and ponder upon the fact that the mayhem and carnage that the antis told them follows guns did not come to pass..."
"Oh, look! There's a well-dressed guy with a big pistol on his belt. He's just sitting there with his coffee. Must be all the gun violence I read about was a lie, all the stuff I've seen in movies and on TV about how guns can really mess you up were fictions, those times when someone with a pistol killed folks in churches, Burger King, college classrooms, high schools and shopping centers like this one must have been phony, the presidents and political leaders that were assassinated must have died some other way than by guns, because there's this guy just sitting there with a pistol, and his calm, well-dressed persona is all there is to know about guns and me". Yeah, right.

"Look, there's a respectable looking guy with a gun on his belt sipping a coffee and minding his own business. No one's getting shot or even seems scared. Maybe not everyone who has a gun is some sort of psycho like they said on TV." You're taking one out of many possible reactions and assuming that it is the one everyone will have.

Quote:
... Ask those same people about their thoughts on CC. I doubt they are in favor of it.
They won't have any reaction to a CCW if they don't see it and thus don't have to react to a gun close by that intimidates them like they would to an OCW. The only responsible purpose for carrying a weapon is to protect one's self and the people he or she is responsible for. Carrying a gun for any other reason, especially as a waving red flag for gun rights among the otherwise disinterested, will backfire more than it won't in most of the places I've been, and in my opinion is an irresponsible misuse of our gun rights. Period.

Why wouldn't they have a reaction to CC when the Brady Bunch is constantly trying to fear monger about it. The antis screaming about CC is no less shrill than it is about OC, but the fence sitters only get one side of the argument about CC. You don't think that someone who is frightened at the mere sight of a gun wouldn't also be frightened by the "insidious concealed weapons" that the antis and the media have wailed about?

This argument is quickly becoming circular and I find myself growing tired of it. It's obvious that you don't like open carry, and because you don't like it, then it must not be the right thing to do. I see no point in further trying to contest such "a priori" beliefs as your mind is obviously already made up and nothing I can say will move you. Have a nice day sir.

In Dallas, TX where concealed carry is legal but open carry is not the violent crime rate is 13.61 per 1,000 residents. In Indianapolis, IN where open carry is legal but not particularly common, the violent crime rate is 7.71 per 1,000 residents
With all due respect, there are many other factors that cause those disparities in crime rate. Attributing open carry directly to lower crime rates in one place over another is a bit disingenuous.

Originally posted by Tom Servo
Quote:
In Dallas, TX where concealed carry is legal but open carry is not the violent crime rate is 13.61 per 1,000 residents. In Indianapolis, IN where open carry is legal but not particularly common, the violent crime rate is 7.71 per 1,000 residents
With all due respect, there are many other factors that cause those disparities in crime rate. Attributing open carry directly to lower crime rates in one place over another is a bit disingenuous.

My point was not to attribute lower crime rates directly to open carry, but rather to illustrate that there is no evidence that criminals are hiding behind open carry laws.

Edward429451 said:

I was in line at walmart about a month ago and I see an older guy OC a weapon on his belt. I stepped back to let the hoardes of screaming get through and run for the door but they didn't run and scream.

+1 to the red comment!

Hmmm.... too bad..... you could have gotten through your line faster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back