Open Carry in Harrisonburg VA

one7685

Hey guys. I'm new to "The Firing Line". I had a quick question, Is there anybody in here that carries in Harrisonburg? I was just wondering how the local police and business owners handle it.

I tried it for my first time today. I carry an S&W Sigma 40 in a Blackhawk holster (left-handed) The only person that mentioned something was the girl at Red Lobster and she sees me all the time and was just wondering if I always had it. I went to Costco, Suntrust, and Verizon as well with no issues.

hmmmm, I live in NOVA, open carry here isnt very cool. Harrisonburg is a bit more rual than where I'm from but then you have JMU, college town might make cops and citizens a litte less tolerant. In the end, it is your right to open carry but are you willing to deal with the heat it draws? thats the question. Do you have a CHP? In VA there is really no excuse, its really easy.

Open Carry

I haven't gotten the chance to get my CHP yet. But I hate the fact that open draws so much attention(so people say anyway, I haven't had any so far). I think you should be able to stand up for your beliefs and freedoms, regardless of what people think. As long as you're not violating the law, there should be no real problems other then ignorant stares.

Open carry?

Careful, don't scare the horses. ;)

That's an Amish buggy joke.

My parents live at the Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community on 42 north.

I don't open carry. My secret; my advantage.

John

I'm with you, johnbt. If I'm wearing a gun, it's nobody's business but my own, and keeping it that way gives me a distinct tactical advantage.

I never really had any problems with OC in VA. Back before the were shall issue I did armed security work and that was the only way to and from work. (this was before the Firearm Owner's restriction/protection act of 86)

I also OC'ed to and from places where I shot and generally about the countryside.

In Harrisburg proximity to the college would make me wary of a professor or glee club president 911'ing my law abiding rump.

Can you tell I am bit biased :D ????

Good luck, be safe and find time to get your CHP soon. I am sending for my out of state VA CHP (live elsewhere now) within the next 60 days. Lethargic because I work in Maryland at a safe location for criminals. But I have scheduled my edumatorial requirement class.

Awhile back I was standing in line at Harrisonburg Crossing Wal-Mart one evening - you know, business as usual at WM... LOL anyway, looked over to the "fast lane" about 4 rows over. There stands a guy w/ Ruger P-95 in kydex holster, so, ok, I'll go stand in that one. Walk over, "Nice Ruger." "Thank you."

Had a SW40V Sigma .40 (grey polymer frame), decided I wanted the P-95 9mm instead.

Funny thing, first (only) time I ever went to Red Lobster, my cousin's wife thought I was carrying a gun, it was only the utility tools and flashlight. Me thinks it was Margarita's we drunk... LOL

Awhile back I was standing in line at Harrisonburg Crossing Wal-Mart one evening

That is so cool. I have a friend who lives in Maryland now. The man used to work at Shooter's Paradise in NOVA. One day after work he is in WM near Alexandria OC'ing a Model 29 - he was required to carry a sidearm at work.

THe man is big, 6'8" 460 lbs size 16 shoe. The walmart security person walks up to him armed with a terrified expression and a name tag and tells my boy he must bounce with his gun. One of the funniest things I ever saw.

Of course the big man complied, we laughed all the way to the truck. I was CCW and legal, made me stop going to WM for a while.

Harrisonburg sounds much nicer.

Well so far all has been well. I just have to get my fiance convinced. She feels "unsafe" that I carry a gun to protect her and my child as well. That's my only obstacle. I need to get my CHP soon cause she doesn't care if it's concealed.

That's what was funny, the first time I strapped it on she was like "Can you cover that thing up?" I had to give her a quick lesson in VA law, lol.

I would say that if it plays at WM, you are cool in that area. Still a CHP is a good idea in a shall issue state.

Delaware is discretionary de jure, but pretty much shall issue de facto. Still I am getting out of state permits for now.

tiefman is right... with it being a college town, the local cops and those who are not as pro-gun (why chance the skittish).
Every trip into town is like a reminder of why I like not being in town, and especially not in a bigger urban area - Richmond/NOVA type.
Oh, I just went back and re-read this thread. Pearldog, at the last gunshow I attended at R'ham Fairgrounds (I think, 'cause I pretty much stopped attending them several years back) I saw one of the JMU professors (I won't mention which, but those who live here got a purty good guess if they don't know, ran for city office) w/ a Colt Pocket M (not sure of caliber) stuffed in a IWB holster walking around.

Yes I do as a matter of fact. Not so often anymore but when I moved to VA and found out that I can actually own guns here (came from NJ, total pain) I used to go almost every day.

ROFL, Oh no, I've found more imports from Jersey! Yea, I don't get out there too much myself either lately. Hopefully in the next week or so, I'll be able to. Get past the Stuper Bowl and then I'll see. And before I'm asked, ain't rooting for either team.

Yea, I'm not looking forward to seeing the Superbowl too much this year either. But anyway, I'm hoping to get there sometime this week or over the weekend. If my fiance is cool with it I'm gonna try to get a run at it tomorrow.

Super Bowl, isn't that where they wear all the pads and stop every few seconds to discuss their feelings?

Y'all still don't get men's sports up there like MMA, women's basketball (greatest spectator sport ever), hockey? _ducks_for_cover_ :D

Back