Open carry (good or bad)

Is open carry a good thing or bad thing

• Good

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 44 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carrying a gun for myself is a tactical decision. I don't want any one to know. I want to be the geezer who doesn't attract attention.

For some, carrying open is a political statement. Even to the point of being a little bit "in your face".

For some, there are even maturity issues.

For some, they have no choice, and for others they believe it offers a superior deterrent and simply choose to carry that way.

No question that open carry deters many bad people who'd do you harm. That's the case most of the time.

No question that, in some cases, with some bad folks, carrying in the open and losing your tactical advantage will mean your death. That's the case a small % of the time.

Hope you aren't one of those people who actual expect a difinitive answer. And if you really wanted to be informed about the subject, you could always look up the zillion threads and posts that discuss the subject.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Personally, I don't want to open carry. But I think that open carry laws are a positive thing for gun rights. And it may help to desensitize a gun shy public.

I'd suspect that for every gun shy member of the public who's desensitized, there are two who's anti-gun awareness instincts are fully aroused. I know many people personally who aren't even aware that Nevada is a shall issue CCW state and I'm not sure that making them aware of that fact, or by open carrying a gun so it attracts their attention, converts them to our cause.

And I support the right of people to open carry even if I don't think it's a tactically or politically sound idea. Open carry if you please and have all eyes in the restaurant on you. I'll be the 'ol geezer in the corner with his back to the wall observing people who are observing you, or observing whether people even noticed. And, as mentioned, for some (not all),getting noticed is why they do it. :cool:

Last edited:
Open carry if you please and have all eyes in the restaurant on you.

It's funny, that reaction is one which seems to only occur here on the internet. As a person who has open carried in front of thousands of people in hundreds of places, in no less than three states, I just have never seen that reaction in reality.

Posted this in the other OC thread (mods, can we get a merger?).

The MI board on opencarry.org has a nearly 300 page long thread on just everyday open carry experiences. I highly recommend people go and read that thread and see the public interactions that occur every day.

Some very interesting stories, here is the link: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?44995-List-your-open-carry-experiences-here.

I OC regularly in Ann Arbor since it has been so hot out. Ann Arbor, MI, home to the University of Michigan. Not exactly a conservative town. I have had no "all eyes on you" experiences and zero negative experiences. Just some silly looks from people in public.

Reading all these posts I see i finally started a good thread. I hope this helps me out in the long run and thanks for the posts thus far guys. It is much appreciated!;)

If done responsibly, it is good (that goes for any carry).

I agree that presenting a good image is more important when OCing. Remember that guy OCing the AR-15 a while ago? His dress made him seem more credible. If he didn't look like a businessman, the media would have gone absolutely nuts! For the sake of the carry movement, please dress nicely when OCing. Of course you have the right to dress as you please, but looking like an unquestionable "good guy" helps us more than dressing like a negative stereotype.

I knew a fellow in Miami,FL who owned a pawn shop. He always had a pistol on his belt. One day in the 1980s two men came in and they didn't say hands up or this is a stick up. They shot him four times before they emptied the register. Whether they would have done that if he hadn't been open carrying or not we'll never know. He survived BTW. I voted no and personally feel more comfortable concealed. Even in the 90 degree FL heat. :)

Whether they would have done that if he hadn't been open carrying or not we'll never know. He survived BTW. I voted no and personally feel more comfortable concealed. Even in the 90 degree FL heat.

Criminals expect pawn shop owners to be armed, or have guns stashed near by. Not much tactical surprise there.

When a citizen gives up his element of surprise that's a different matter. All the more interesting when making a statement is more important than being safe.

Admittedly, when lots of people open carry and it becomes common place, there's a criminal deterrent factor. Don't think that's the case with the lone crusader who feels he has to "expose people" until they're compfy around guns. But, I'll give him some Brownie points for being willing to sacrafice his own safety and being willing to take one for the team.:D

Last edited:
Hey. I just joined on here.
From what I've gathered from the laws I could find online was that I AM allowed to open carry at the age of 19 in KY. But unfortunately people in the area I live in would throw a fit, sad, but true. I do however keep my S&W 5906 in my glovebox when I'm out.

I voted it’s bad if the intent is reveal to others that you are armed.
Why reveal your advantage?

If the question is in regard to legally allowing open carry then I’m for it.

I voted Good. I don't and will not open carry when I'm out and about, but I think the option is a good thing. I support people open carrying, but I carry concealed. If I'm camping or trekking around in the woods, I will carry a revolver openly, but I don't think that applies to this poll.

I wouldnt open carry everywhere myself. What I would do is open carry around my neighborhood or going to friends and family, Movie Theater, Gun Shops, Shooting Ranges. If I was going to work or heading home or going out anywhere else then yes I would def. conceal. Other places I got are gas Stations, Parks, Grocery Stores, and restaurants, and an OC weapon may cause unwanted trouble/attention.

Back