Only fools fall in love...

Gander Mountain recently opened up a store near me and I enjoy looking at their used gun inventory. They have a much better selection than anybody else around here, but their prices are way too high. I'll have to be content with window shopping there.

I used to window shop gander mtn, but now a cabelas opened near me. So I Healy go there. Plus my daughter lives to look at the fish and animals.

i saw a customized glock from glockworx. a LGS had it for sale. the $949 pricetag made me not buy it :(

i also saw a colt anaconda .44 mag that was out of my price range :(

so far the only 2 heartaches ive had

pre25_best_target.jpg

Pre-25? (Model of 1955), yeah they are really nice. Here is 50 shots at 15 yrds offhand.

WOW Pete,

That may be the ultimate handgun to a lover of old S&Ws.
Absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks for posting that. Now I have to wipe drool off my laptop, lol.

Papershotshells

I've passed up on so many. Sooo many in my 7 years as a college student. Thousands and thousands of dollars worth.

Now I'm only about 159 days from having my J.D., and my discipline has been cracking. Got the Beretta 92FS, the RIA 1911, and the Mosin all in the last year.

I should probably chill so that I can afford the Colorado bar fees.

Off the top of my head, some that have hurt not to click "buy" on:

New-in-box Beretta Cheetah, stainless
New-in-box Beretta Cougar, stainless
New-in-box Sig Sauer P6 with 4 NEW magazines (Yeah, I know!)
Pristine S&W 5906, 98+%
Sig Sauer. So many. All of them. Like four models of the P220 alone, which I am utterly taken with. I'll take a Beretta 92 over a P226 all day, but the 220 is pure function and elegance in a .45 auto.
Amazing condition Mosin M44, looked brand new
Remington M700 CDL .30-06
Remington 870 Police
Remington 870 Marine Magnum
All sorts of 1911s, foremost being the Dan Wesson Valor stainless
CZ-75B Compact, 75BD Fullsize, 75D PCR

I could keep going for a long time.

In that timeframe I've helped 6 or 7 people pick their first gun and learn to shoot, and their excitement always makes me stop being so materialistic. I helped my friend pick out his Ruger SR9 stainless fullsize a year ago and he still talks about it like he just got it. You always love your first gun.

I have a thing for unique versions of common guns, not custom just different, for example instead of the regular ber. 92fs I have the discontinued centurion version. Anyway, I saw a pro series sw 686-6 ssr at my lgs that I never knew existed. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I think it's sexy. Damn thing was $830 and not a "+". I came so close and while I was looking for a new revolver I didn't have quite that much to spend so I had to pass. :( then one day I was looking around again and the 686 had a sibling sitting next to it slightly used for $110 less. I clean new guns anyway so it being dirty was fine by me . I felt like god wanted me to have this gun so now I have my new revolver after all :D

OP,

Like you, I was a fool.

Circa 1990, as a young professional but with a California mortgage, car payment, student loan, etc., I was "equity-rich" but cash-poor. I bought my first gun, a S&W 686, and caught the bug wanting to buy more. I had my eyes on a beauty, Sig P-220. Her smooth action & accurate bullet placement just had me thinking about her day & night. But her price tag was not to be had for someone who lived from pay check to pay check.

Years later I was able to accumulate a meager savings but her price tag still had me afar. I did met her sister, BTW, a certified pre-own (CPO) P226 in .40 S&W. She batted her eyes at me and as I glanced at her price tag, she had me with a 4.... A Sig with a price that starts with a 4. This one was in pristine condition. I could not see signs of holster wear, the barrel was brand new and the springs were as tight as... well, this is a family-friendly site after all.

Many years later I am still looking for a P220. I have acquired others but the P220 still has a soft spot in my heart. Maybe I can meet a CPO P220 one day and she can join my Sig collection of P226, P6, and P230. Maybe it's just a dream that I held on for so long that I don't want to let it go. Maybe she is like the girl in high school you were dying to go out with but it was just beyond your reach.... Now 30 years later you bump into her and she is available....

I wish you well, my friend, and knowing this burning desire will be with you. But my advice is take care of your child, your schoolings, etc., first. You WILL have plenty of time to buy the guns your are passionate about, and there WILL be plenty of guns you will be passionate about. Welcome to the beginning of a life time of collections.

Love is a strange word used to describe the desire for a gun, not so much the feeling but being able to admit it.
Since this seems to be a opening of the heart thread,,,,, The one in the attached photo is my,,, sorry cant say it.
But this is a gun that I have been looking for, for over 30 years and when I saw it on a table at a gun show and it took my breath away. I would have paid so much for it that I would have been stupid but the guy had it at a decent price for what it is.
So far I haven’t slept with it but from time to time we cuddle.;)
Don't tell my wife

Last edited:
Pete: That S&W is a looker! I really like the look of older smiths.

Propforce: Sounds like you have built yourself quite a collection! That's great, I think my next planned purchase will be a G19,as it will cover multiple handgun needs and still he a decent range gun too; despite my love for the HP and SIG I wouldn't really want either riding IWB all day.

Ozzieman: I won't tell! :) sometimes when I go out hunting or shooting I know my wife probably thinks I'm giving my guns more affection than her. However, she has told me multiple times that she's no longer scared at night because she knows I'm armed. We don't live in a great neighborhood and some of the "characters" we see around here can make one nervous, but having a plan and the right tools has helped alleviate those fears. That said, that's a beautiful handgun you've got there. Love is a strange word now that I think about it, probably somewhat materialistic; but that just sounds like the right word. I really love when I can use any type of mechanical device and it feels like an extension of me: some of these guns have achieved that on first grab and that is impressive!

:)

I find that materialism is a label that poor folks like myself throw at rich folks who have stuff we wish we could afford.

If only they could be mine:

Redhawk
PC2300341600x1200.jpg

P226
P1020684.jpg

Hi-Power
img_4307.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

Most of us older folks have been right where you are now. When I had a young family, I had one gun. That was all I could afford. Even then I couldn't spend money on ammo. I had 20 rnds of defense ammunition and that was it. There were many guns I wanted and had to pass on. What I did to help me feel better and be patient was to make a list on paper that I could occasionally review and edit. I even made notes to remind myself of upgrades and modifications I wanted to do to each.

I still have that list, but after all this time my tastes have changed. Now that we are better off and financially comfortable, I have been buying the guns on my list one by one. Some of them are harder to find now, but as my list gets shorter, I can wait more patiently. My list is pretty short now, but I add to it occasionally. :D

There is one gun I still kick myself for not getting. Back in late '07 I found a tan HK Mark 23 complete with the correct Insight LAM at a pawn shop unfired. That was easily a 4000.00 kit that they were asking 1700.00 for out the door. I passed because things were very unstable economically back then for the nation. I had no idea where things were going, but it looked grim. I still kick myself for letting that one go. I could have sold the LAM on eBay for 1300.00.....:(

8MM Mauser,

A once-in-a-lifetime deal comes along about once a month.

Don't despair over what you've had to pass by. You'll have other opportunities.

BTW, were I forced, I could live the rest of my life with a good-quality .280 Rem bolt action rifle, a good quality sxs 12 gauge shotgun, and a 1911A1 in .45 ACP. Those would be the guns I'd need. The guns I'd want, well...it's about reconciling wants & needs.

Merry Christmas

And what guns/platforms have you fallen in love with in the last year that you never knew about/used before

Ruger SR9c. I have a dozen handguns, revolvers and semi autos. Without a doubt, the SR9c is the favorite carry.

Back