One year later without shooting Center fire pistols

Airguns work very well for firearm training. What they don't replicate well is blast and recoil. So for slow-fire shooting, they're just about perfect for replicating firearm behavior. For rapid-fire, they leave a lot to be desired, in terms of acting like a firearm does.
I will respectfully disagree as I use them mostly for rapid fire training and have been for years. And they have been instrumental in honing my skills especially in point and shoot. Every thing is the same other than recoil. And for 9mm which does not have much recoil to begin with. I shoot DAO triggers and most of these are DAO or SA/DAO. Triggers, gipe, weight, sights, all basically the same.
And of course they are used in Iron Plate Competition in Europe and in some places now in America.
Listen to what this guy says about how competitive they are and the training that go with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKfhwLJSSI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNsqNJF4oJQ

That's all I need...another hobby!

Looks fun. All kidding around aside- I shot club level action shooting matches for six years. I found the thing most new folks struggled with was front sight focus. Once they got past that hurdle they rapidly got better.

We had actually thought about a .22 RF class for our league just to see where that took us at the gunsmithing shop.

Last edited:
...especially in point and shoot.
They are good for that. Getting on target quickly and managing the trigger to get a good hit without wasting time.

By rapid shooting, I mean firing multiple shots in succession. A big part of that when shooting centerfire firearms is recoil control. Keeping a good grip on the gun, tracking the front sight, having a consistent hold so that the recoil behavior and front sight movement is predictable and consistent.

I've never found airguns to be good for that kind of practice because the recoil behavior is so different from firearms.

That said, airgun shooting can be an end in itself and if the goal is to shoot in an airgun competition then, of course, practicing with an airgun makes good sense.

obviously there are people who consider "training" and "practicality" a little differently than I do. There will always be people who appreciate "nuance" to a degree that I may consider impractical or counter-productive. Its ok, there is room for such variances but I will call it like I see it when participating in a discussion on the subject. good luck

One of the previous comments in this thread lead me to look up and purchase a MantisX Shooting Performance System (x3 model).

Thanks for the tip, random internet person, because I really like the system. It is providing very valuable feedback and the structured drills are great.

I can't imagine any circumstances that would prevent me from at least a minimum of practice for a year.
The only concessions I have made for the exigencies of this past year were to move my shooting out to my son's property when the range was closed, and to shoot my carry weapons instead of exercising the entire remuda.

I can't imagine any circumstances that would prevent me from at least a minimum of practice for a year.
The only concessions I have made for the exigencies of this past year were to move my shooting out to my son's property when the range was closed, and to shoot my carry weapons instead of exercising the entire remuda.
And what exactly is a minimum? A minimum for myself before the riots was 200 rds per session, minimum twice a week. And thing less was a waste of time and energy. Now a minimum for me is at least 200 Pellets 4 times a week. And I have proven at least for myself that my skills actually improve shooting the air Pistols.

Last edited:
And what exactly is a minimum? A minimum for myself before the riots was 200 rds per session, minimum twice a week. And thing less was a waste of time and energy. Not a minimum for me is at least 200 Pellets 4 times a week. And I have proven at least for myself that my skills actually improve shooting the air Pistols.
Carl, do you stop going to the range if you can't shoot 200 rounds twice weekly and only shoot airguns now?

I do not go to the range now for center fire guns I do go for shotguns, Black Powder, and Air Rifles. Occasionally 22.cal.
Gotcha. I slacked off range time for about six weeks while my Holosun optic went in for warranty replacement. Other than occasional .22 and 12gauge work, and no dryfire practice I didn't do much and it showed. Once I returned in earnest I realized how quickly my skills got rusty.

I'm finding 25-50 rounds/a week to be adequate, coupled with dry fire several times a week keeps me close to where I want to be.

12 is one of those firearms where, (at least for me) I do not have to shoot a lot of shells to get satisfaction. I enjoy shooting Buckshot and pattering different loads and distances. We can only use Buckshot for deer where I live and have been shooting them since a kid. Just a quirky fun pastime.

Back