One shot stops

While I do most of my whitetail hunting with a bow,( any good hit and you can usually watch them die from your stand) I have had running deer just pile up with one .308 shot, just like someone pulled the plug.

Out of 14 mule deer, I've only had one run off...a doe shot at 80 yards from above that destroyed the lungs. Ran off about 30 yards and I tracked it to where it lay dead. All others lay where they were hit, only about 4 or 5 were instantly killed. This, at ranges from over 300 yards to 60.
I use a 30-06 with Hornady 165 gr BTSP, medium load of IMR 4350.

I took my 1895G "Guide Gun" with me this year.

Friday morning, I fired upon my first deer I've dropped hammer on in 6 years. Deer was squarely facing me. Range was about 200 yards. I missed.

Deer ran away from woods and into field...and into the sights of a friend who hit it with a .35 Rem at about 50 yards.

I waited a while (10 minutes?), then began walking over to where the deer had been when I fired, to see if I could find a blood trail. My friend came down from the tree stand after a few minutes, told me that he had shot the deer, and that it was lying down. Elapsed time at this point was at least 15 minutes from 2nd shot.

When we walked over, Bambi jumped up, and hauled into the woods. Blood spot was about the size of a dinner plate. We followed, posthaste. (imagine men running for several minutes)

The deer had lain down again, when I fired into his chest from 15 yards with my .40. He did not expire, but he didn't jump back up, either. I waited a few minutes, keeping the pistol on target. He lifted his head far up and to the side, and I finished him with a middle of neck shot just under the head. Instant death spasm. Deer would have been a 4 or 6 point, but the tines had not diverged. The .35 had hit him through one shoulder, and exited through ribs.

When we were riding back to pick him up, I noticed my scope mount was loose. Damn! Between you and me, though, I forgot to aim high, and I was zeroed at only an inch high at 100 yards. I prolly would have missed anyway!

I shot a small deer from about 55 yards a few days later. I heard feet thumping, and thought for a minute she was running, till I saw the still form on the ground.

That .45 caliber 300 grain Georgia Arms HP went through both shoulders, high on the entrance side, and a little lower through the exit. Instant kill. I classify the effect as "dramatic, but not excessive", and have decided to name my Guide Gun "One-timer", 'cuz I don't think I'll ever have to shoot them twice, if I get in a decent shot. Now, if I can just get a decent shot at those wild hogs next year...:)

I shot 2 deer this year. The first was a medium sized doe. I shot it at about 50 yds. with a .54 cal round ball. I hit it in the neck and it dropped on the spot. It wasn't dead yet but it wasn't moving much either.

I just shot a large buck on Monday. 2 180 gr. Sierra soft points (303 Brit) through the lungs at 100 yds. One of them broke the opposite shoulder when exiting. The deer kept running like nothing was wrong. It took a third shot that broke the pelvis to put it down.

Go figure.

Long as we're BSing deer stories: I was hunting from a tree-stand, back when I lived just outside of Austintatious. A 90-pound (dressed) doe wandered by, ambling and nibbling. Meat fer the pot, sez I, and at maybe 40 yards held on her neck. I had the good old '06; I was handloading Sierra 165-grain HPBTs, then. Just as I touched it off, she took a step.

The bullet entered the top of the near-side shoulder, went just under the spine and with a Peckinpaugh-movie gout of blood and gore, took out the center of the shoulder-plate and the top of the off-side leg. She didn't drop; she instantly reared and spun on her hind-legs and three-legged it about 100 yards. The blood trail was over a foot wide. The exit wound must have been over four inches in diameter. About the worst mess I ever made.

But you wonder, some times, just how they do that sort of thing...

Art

tail up or down?

This is a great topic and I'de like to add a little something. I'm restricted to shotguns here but actually don't feel under-gunned compared to rifles because with a good 12 gauge set up with good optics I have a very formidable weapon. A lead projectile that's almost 3/4 of an inch in diameter and traveling somewhere around 1400 FPS will knock most any deer down to stay if it's hit right. I hit one once a little too high and back only to have it hump up and fall over. (liver hit). Any hit in the center of the neck or shoulders will USUALLY stop any deer in his tracks. The foot pounds and damage of a 12 gauge is awesome. This year I was hunting with my son-in-law and saw a deer standing broadside at about 80 to 100 yards, I put the red dot just behind the shoulder and squeezed. The deer's tail went up and it ran off with it's head held high--normal exit. My son-in-law said I missed because of the tail being up--I said I think I hit it, the shot felt good. When we got to where the deer was, the tracks (on snow) looked normal for a running deer, but after going only about 30 yards it looked like someone was throwing red paint all around. That deer went about 50 yards after a direct hit in the lungs with a 12 gauge and the tail was UP. I've heard that old wive's tale before about the tell-tale tail--don't believe it. willp58

Tails

Hmmm. SFAIK, "tail up" means fear. I doubt deer think in terms of warning other deer of danger; I think other deer have learned to recognize the tail being up as a sign that deer #1 has found something to fear.

Seems to me that getting shot would tend to scare hell out of most deer.

:), Art

On the opening day of deer season this year I shot a six point whitetail buck with my M70 Winchester in .338 win. mag. using a noseler ballistic tip 200 gr bullet. I was headed back to my truck and and he came wandering down the side of the hill about 50 yards from me. He bent over to eat a leaf off of a small tree and I wacked him right thru the heart. He went down like his switch had been turned off. I mean he didn't twich, wiggle or spasm. When I got to him, he still had the leaf in his mouth. I know, way too much gun for whitetail, but I hate to have to track them down and it shoots so damn good.
Next time, I'm going to try my new 45-70 HR Buffalo Classic on one.

ERrainman-

If the carotids were dthat damaged the answer is obvious.

instantaneous stroke dropped the deer.

The stroke could have been caused by a sudden drop in BP to the brain caused by occlusion/dissection of the arteries or by an air embolus to the brain sucked in through the hole.

regards,

olazul

Back