One rifle (centerfire)

I did use my Wearherby Vanguard in 7mm rem mag.
Unlike some peopleI really could hunt and kill any game in this country and not be undergunned

I did use my Wearherby Vanguard in 7mm rem mag.
Unlike some peopleI really could hunt and kill any game in this country and not be undergunned:rolleyes:

Remington 721 .270 and Weaver that was Gramps, or my Sears Winchester 100 .30 30 lever Ted Williams that Dad got me. I am glad I dont have to pick.

If I only had one to take it would be my Win 94 in 30-30. It is the most comfortable rifle I own and shoots great. Of course my oldest son can choice a different rifle, and the youngest son can choice yet another. Then there are my two daughters and don't forget the wife! She can pick one. So then that make six OK I'm good with that.

Dont think I could do only one,But I think I could get by with my 7600 remmy in 270 & My MKII SS Ruger in 25-06.:D;)

If I could only have one rifle, from my current collection.....it would have to be my Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308.

I can shoot bullets ranging from 110 grains to 180 grains and I can load the power level up or down considerably. There are also a myriad of bullets available to load in 30 cal.

The .308 is a legitimate 800 yard cartridge, but a marginal 1000 yard cartridge. Since I never shoot more than 300 yards, its all I need.

The .308 can handle any game in North America up to Elk, out to 250 yards.

My rifle weighs about 9.5 lbs with the scope and bipod....so it kicks like a 30-30, which is awesome!

Jeff Cooper's daughter, Lindy, summed it up in her poem, "Seven hundred dollars and a .30-'06". You can Google for it. :)

If I could only keep one I'd have to choose my Rem Model 7 in .308. A sweet little carbine length that with scope weighs about 7 lbs. It's plenty of gun for anything I hunt, will hold 1 3/4" groups with just about any ammo and is a joy to carry. The Vari-X III 2.5x8 scope is the sweetest scope I've ever owned.

my Remington 700 long action with its heavy sendro 308 barrel, hs stock and 3x9x40 Leopold var II scope.

The action was from my dad's 270, the rest piece meal, it is a tack driver that has never failed me.

Tough one - again depending on nuance of the criteria:
- What I have - Win 94 Pre 64 .30-30

- What I don't - ca late 90's-early 00's Win 70 Featherweight Classic .270 or 7mm-08. Lifelong .270 fan, might try 7mm-08 just to be different with a similarly capable classic round and love the idea of the combo of short action with the Featherweight format. Pre Classic XTR (80's) in same a close second. As nice as the current FN's are, I love the iconic XTR and Classic "thin red pad" guns Ultimately, Classic's CRF or push feed XTR, don't care too much. Frankly, at this stage in my life, picking from a random pile--well, rack--of them the one with the nicest wood would come home with me. No stainless or plastic stock'd bolts for me (though I admit to affection for my current one of the latter--a box store "package" gun - push feed Win 70 .270 that's a tack driver I don't have to worry about "hurting")

- What I really won't let loose of: tie - Pre War Win 1894 SRC .30WCF ca 1917 and Browning 1886 SRC. The '94 would probably "win" out as it reeks/suggestive of history, has an interesting history (with me, unremarkable to most others) and is a better "walkabout" gun, as our friends in Koalaland would say, but the "86 is a sweetie.

You asked for "one"?! :) :)

Where we hunt in Pennsylvania the country is steep, rough, and brushy. 75 yards is a long shot for me. 30-30 is still my favorite: short and light with plenty of accuracy and power to do the job. Ammo is affordable, too.

I hardly ever return to hunt in the western states. But when I do, it will be with my .308 Remington carbine.

Jack

Back