One powder that does it all.

And it still is a versatile powder, just not for low power trap loads. And, we are not talking about a versatile powder just for rifles, we are talking about handgun, shotgun, and rifles. One powder that does it all.

Don
Unique was used for cast lead bullet loads in rifles, straight-wall pistol cases AND 1-1/8 Target and light field loads, Field and heavy Target loads, et. al., (pages 162-166 of "The Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 4th Edition) shotgun loads.

dahermit,

No Unique loads for 7/8 and 1 ounce trap loads. When you get to 1 1/8 ounce loads, with Unique you are using 22 - 24 grains as opposed to 17 - 18 grains of Red Dot, and it does not work well at those low pressure levels. Nobody who shoots trap or skeet uses it.

Don

A good powder to be sure, in these troubled times. I don't load shotgun anymore, so that's out, but Red Dot, Unique, 2400 and maybe 4895 would be a foursome that'd cover most any shooting need for rifle and handgun and with reasonable velocity too. I'm thinking you could probably substitute Win 231 for both Red Dot and Unique and do OK too....Best regards, Rod

I like Green Dot, good for 12 ga, 20 ga, .38, 9MM, .45, and for target loads in .44 Mag and .357 Mag. a little 4831 and I'm good to go in the rifles altho 4064/Varget may be more versatile in rifles if you load other than .243 and .270.

Well you can get two powders to do everything. Most things they won’t do perfectly, but they CAN do almost everything. Namely, HS-6 for pistol and Varget for Rifle.
I load 9mm to 454 Casull with HS-6. And 223 to 270 Win with Varget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It gets even better if the powder is FREE (well, sort of). Gevärsexerciskrut 1 (rifle practice powder 1) is the powder that comes in the 6.5x55 wooden bullet practice rounds at $96.00 for 4800 from J&G Sales. They're a great source of primed Berdan cases once the projectiles are pulled, and the powder has a burn rate very similar to Unique. Great cast bullet propellant.:D

As per Ed Harris article " The Load " , what 13 grains of Red Dot can do with cast bullets in WWII military surplus rifles .
I bought a couple bullet moulds and two pounds Red Dot for a 03-A3 Springfield 30-06 , 1911K 7.5 Swiss and 303 British Enfield ... then discovered (during last powder shortage ) if you can't get Bullseye ..for handgun reloading ... Red Dot will fill the void very nicely .
It does well with shotshell , cast bullets in handgun and rifle !

To Mr. Ed Harris ... a huge Thank You !
Gary

Yep. Red Dot is a good one.

When I first started shooting (1983), the old-timers out at the range with their 38 wadcutters swore by Red Dot. (I am close to the age of those "old-timers" now, so I use the term endearingly.) And of course, the trap shooters.

If I shot trap, I'd likely use a lot of it. Not only for trap, but for handgun target loads. It would be a "mainstay" powder for me in all likelyhood.

But I don't shoot trap; and I do consider it primarily a shotgun powder. With that, I took to other powders. I did buy a couple #'s of Red Dot when I first started loading. I soon moved over to Bullseye, and then W231 . . .

. . . the rest is history as they say.

Back