one-piece barrel can't take it apart! how to cut the barrel then?

Whitebox wrote:
"one-piece barrel can't take it apart! how to cut the barrel then?"

It occurred to me that people have told you what NOT to do, but no one has yet told you what you need to do and how to do it. Hopefully I can help you with that.

Whitebox, whether you are describing a rifle or a shotgun, if you want to cut the barrel down shorter, the best way is to cut it in a lathe. I suspect the people at the gun shop did not give you correct information when they told you the barrel cannot be removed from the receiver. But whether it can or cannot be removed from the receiver, either way, the best way to cut it is on a lathe.

Here is the best way to cut the barrel.
If the barrel is removable from the receiver, just center it and clamp it down in a lathe and cut it. If for any reason it is impossible or too hard to remove the barrel from the receiver, you can still clamp the barrel in a lathe, and then just adjust the lathe to turn VERY VERY SLOWLY, because with the receiver on the barrel, if you don't run the lathe VERY VERY slowly, it will be out of balance, mess up your cut, and no doubt damage the barrel by possibly making it so unbalanced in the lathe that it comes loose from the lathe chuck and rattles all over the place and bends the barrel.

It takes a little more time doing it manually by hand, but if your receiver is still attached to the barrel, you can clamp the barrel into the lathe, and then turn the lathe manually by hand so that your cutting bit scores a ring onto and around the barrel, then you just keep turning it by hand and increasing the pressure against the barrel with the cutting bit until it finally cuts through the barrel. Similar to a copper tubing cutter (only better and more accurate).

It shouldn't take too very long to do that even by hand if its a thin shotgun barrel. Basically your lathe is acting like a common copper tubing cutter you would find at the hardware store, only more secure and accurate in cutting a perfect circle and not giving you a bad angle cut like some copper tubing cutters can easily mess up and do. By using the lathe but turning it manually by hand, you avoid the problem of the receiver and barrel being unbalanced (if the receiver is still attached to the barrel). If you don't have a lathe, any machine shop will have one.

Once your barrel is cut, you may have a little bit of metal around the edge of the cut that goes inward from the pressure of your cutting bit cutting the barrel. This can easily be filed smooth by keeping the barrel in the lathe, and turning the barrel as you have a file set securely into your cutting bit's base, so that the file smooths out the internal edge of the cut, then a little fine grit sandpaper will further smooth the edge of the cut barrel. Then if it's a carbon steel barrel, reblue the end edge of the barrel,....and you are done.

Hope this helped you.

Last edited:
the OP has not been back to the site since the 2nd post from what I can tell from the profile.

I would not waste my time posting until if and when he comes back. You can click on his ID and see when the last activity was.

Thanks Drcook, I checked his I.D. like you said, and he has only made a total of two posts and hasn't been back since Nov 1st, (10 days ago). You're right. Looks like I wasted my time trying to help him with info. Ah well, such is life.

i'm back.

caliber of rifle is 12 guage. that's what they told me.

no pics, not allowed. i know it's set san brand.

we only have turkish brands here in iraq.

yeah, there are screws by the trigger and butt stock, so the guy told me it can be taken apart into barrel and butt stock, two parts.

here we can hunt water fowl, rabbits, and even pigs on farms that cause damage to the crops and are considered a nuisance to help out the farmers.

the gun looks like the picture above, but with no rib, and an engraving on it which says "setsan" and has an eagle on it.

i found another brand that was El-Kin, also turkish. and also Kral sil- san caliber 12. http://www.kralav.com/ both are 12 caliber.

now another question. has anyone ever taken apart a gun with a screw near the trigger that looks like this picture on one side of the gun,

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/wp-c...10-11-12-02-Winchester-single-set-trigger.jpg

and on the other side of the gun the screw head looks smooth? with no place for the screwdriver? i'm sure lots of guns are like that.

i know lots of single barrels looks like it has a small hook on it, but this kind has got two holes and two holes on the receiver and the screw i mentioned goes thru all four? does anyone have anything to say about how easy/ hard it is to take that apart?

Last edited:
Whitebox wrote:
I'd appreciate it if someone could still provide me with an answer.

Whitebox, I provided you with an answer to your first question of:
"one-piece barrel can't take it apart! how to cut the barrel then?"

But you haven't acknowledged my answer to your first question, much less thanked me for my time to write and give you that answer to your question of..."how to cut the barrel then?".....that you asked. I like helping people and hope I helped you, but an acknowledgement of thanks is appropriate in the culture that most of us living in the U.S. recognize. In some cultures in other countries it is considered an insult if one does not belch as a sign of appreciating the meal provided by the host. It's kind of the same show of courtesy and appreciation.

Perhaps if you showed a little courteous appreciation for questions already answered, you'd get more replies for answers to subsequent questions you ask.

Last edited:
English isn't his first language so navigating the nuances of polite society while getting his point across probably isn't all that easy even if he wants to.
If it is a shotgun cutting the barrel at home with a few tools can be accomplished without ruining the gun. You need more than a hacksaw the get any accuracy at all out of it, but it can be done at home with a few simple tools.
A rifle is a whole other game. First you have to get it cut square. A bznd saw won't do it. Then you have to recrown the barrel. There is a special tool to do this and not sure how you could do it without one. You then have the reattatch the front sight. Doing that correctly may be more difficult than the barrel cut.
The length depends entirely on the cartridge. No one can give you any advice on that without knowing the cartridge.
If you have access to a band saw that will cut a steel barrel you must also have access to a machinist or two. If you are thinking a woodworking bandsaw is going to work for this I think you are in for a surprise.
If you don't care at all about accuracy you aren't using it for hunting.

I all but deleted this post because when I thought of it I can't tell what that is supposed to be a picture of. I think he is saying that instead of having some kind of tang that fits into the stock this one's stock is attached by those two screws going though holes bored in the receiver and the stock.

It doesn't appear to be any kind of a break action from what I can see and I would like him to explain how the shotshell is loaded. Also how old is it and what kind of a barrel does it have, Damascus or twist.

Last edited:
White box ,
Perhaps the ones selling you the gun were not totally forthcoming or they simply did not know how to take it apart?most single shot break open shotguns come apart by first taking off the fore arm,sometimes this is secured by a screw to the barrel bottom. Sometimes just spring tension.in the first case unscrew the screw in the center of the forearm then it will pull off downward.in the second case,merely pull down on the forearm -sometimes a hard pull. In my experience this is always with the action closed and locked.after the forearm is removed open the arm as if to load it,when fully open pull the barrel toward the rear and the barrel will come off.i believe what you are looking at as a screw is the hinge pin,which is just a smooth ended pin or a rivet this does not come out normally.
Nearly every gun will come apart,they were put together so they come apart. Sometimes on cheap guns the reciever and barrel are one piece , but not real common.i hope this helps.

OK, whitebox, it's clear that some basic shooting words need to be explained:

Your firearm is a shotgun, not a rifle. A rifle shoots bullets and the inside of the barrel has spiral grooves which spins the bullet to make it stable. A shotgun shoots pellets (usually) and the inside of the barrel is smooth so the pellets do not spin.

Rifle barrels are measured by caliber. A 30 caliber rifle has an inner diameter of roughly .30 inch. Shotgun barrels are measured by gauge. The smaller the gauge, the larger the barrel. Your shotgun is a 12 gauge.

I am sure that it is possible to take your shotgun apart. I would recommend that you not try it until you have a better idea what you are doing. I would also recommend against cutting the barrel for the same reason.

Back