one milsurp for hunting all north america

I would chose a 1903A3 or a British Enfield in 303.

I have had the privilige of hunting with some WWI vets who never missed with their 03s. One gentleman could roll jack rabbitts on the run at 100 yards.

My son has taken WV White tails at 175 yards with his stock Enfield. He has since switched to a custom 30-06 built by a master gunsmith using an 03A3 action.

emcon5 said:
I always thought the Enfield #5 would make a great hunting rifle, light weight, great sights, plenty of power in a handy little package.

Right on. I was rearranging rifles in the gun room to other day and after moving my two No5's I picked up a M4 carbine with a 1-4 scope. I thought Wow, this is heavier than the No5. Then I picked up a 20" Hbar and it felt huge compared to the No5.

Any of the High powered rounds really

But the 8X57 Mauser is awesome and even better with hand loads. I load up some with Barnes Tipped TSX bullets over 47 grains of varget. This is a flat shooting round, sub MOA out of a K98, thumb hole Boyds stock, with Timminy Trigger = devasting results. This round is almost too much for our average size whitetails here in SC, just judging by what the deer looked like after being taken with this round. But I guess any of them really, I've had a .303 British since I was 14 ( my first deer rifle) and it has taken many a whitetail. I hand load this round also. Actually its the reason I started reloading because the .303 got expensive and the 180 grain round nose core lokt would not feed in the enfield.

Hello Everyone,

My personal choice would be my Enfield 303 with 180 grain bullets. I'm currently using Speer hot core bullets for my reloading.

oilcan72

I did 8x57 Mauser for a couple years. Using 196gr S&B cartridges, I didn't think that there was anything it couldn't stop, although I'm not a bear hunter.

shot a calf elk with a sporter K98 this last season. it was a quartering shot facing me. went in the front shoulder and exited the rear hip. went clean through and dropped her like a 10 ton sack of dookie. 175 grn sierra game king over IMR 4064. 8mm mauser has my vote all the way. ive also shot about 9 wild Californian hogs with my original K98 all of them except 1 were 1 shot kills. this next year im going to give my mosin a go at a deer or elk.

have fun finding bullets for the k31 that are legal to hunt with

That shouldn't be to difficult. According to this web site, http://207.36.233.89/shooting2006/swissreloading1/index.asp , they use a normal 7.62/.308 bullet.

On the 7.5 X 55 bullet front, it’s all good news. The 7.5 X 55 Swiss round uses a “standard size” (standard size for the US and 7.62 NATO rounds) .308 (.30 caliber) diameter bullets. Readily available jacketed; or cast bullets from standard molds are the ticket for this cartridge.

This is an excerpt from that page linked above.

1903A3 would be my choice. Best sights, light, handy, not too many game animals in NA can carry a 180gr .30-06 bullet very far. Might carry a .22 revolver in case we were charged by a coastal brown bear so I could kneecap the guide.

have fun finding bullets for the k31 that are legal to hunt with

You can get excellent Norma ammo for the K31 with ease (I didn't say cheap!).

Hard to resist the Mauser considering Sellior & Bellot 8mm SPs are $18/box.....

I did 8x57 Mauser for a couple years. Using 196gr S&B cartridges, I didn't think that there was anything it couldn't stop, although I'm not a bear hunter.

Oh yeah, the 196s are TANKS.

My favorite 8mm round is the discontinued Norma 165 gr Vulcan Point (hollow point) at 2855 fps. Too bad they are so rare now...almost too precious to shoot. But the 8mm loves 196 gr bullets anyway, so no biggie.

Uggh I'm torn on this issue

I have 2 Mosins (m44, 91-30) and a 1891 Argentine Mauser. I would feel comfortable hunting any thing 800 lbs or less with any of them reguardless of the ammo.

Never fired any 6.5, or 7.62x51 (308), or 303's so Idk about them.

I have 2 Mosins (m44, 91-30) and a 1891 Argentine Mauser. I would feel comfortable hunting any thing 800 lbs or less with any of them reguardless of the ammo.

Why do you say that? I think a M44 or M38 would also make a fine hunting rifle, assuming the accuracy was there, for the same reasons as the Enfield Jungle Carbine. Reasonably light, handy rifle, potent cartridge.

Granted, the sights kind of suck......

Back