One eye vs. two?

I used to aim with just one eye open. While I shoot for fun, it is nearly always in the back of my mind that I might someday need to use a gun for self-defense. So, some years ago I decided to train to shoot with both eyes open. It doesn't make aiming easier, it is to provide the full field of vision in case the attacker isn't alone and someone is coming at me from my left. I want to be able to see them coming. That said, I do sometimes revert to old habits and while I'm shooting, sometimes my left eye ends up closing. I find it has little to no effect on my aim (only my peripheral vision). Like JohnKSa said, even when you aim with both eyes open, you are still primarily relying on your dominant eye to do the actual aiming. Line the sights up with your dominant eye, have the other open in order to provide a full field of view.

Front Sight, the Nevada based small arms training school, teaches to close one eye. The idea being, this allows concentration on the front sight post. Can't say if it does or not, as I've been watching the 'front sight post' for over 50 years now, so I'm accustomed to that level of concentration.

When I shoot, at least slow fire, I do close one eye, per the instruction out there in Nevada; but on our family farm, we have pics of me shooting at speed drawing from the holster, and both eyes are open. Rod

Both eyes open to allow for peripheral vision on both sides. That's what I was taught; that what I still do.

I came to handguns late in life ..... I started long guns first, as a little kid first BB guns then .22's and shotguns .... I was taught by my father and maternal grandfather and family friends .... and all of them taught using just one eye .... whichever eye felt better .... I'm pretty sure they knew nothing of eye dominance per se ..... but they told you to shoot however you felt comfortable, do whatever worked , and keep shooting until you got good ..... my own father is left handed, but shoots rifles and shotguns right handed ..... bats left, etc.... shooting right handed works better, because that's the way he learned .... maybe by emulation .... later, I learned that shotgunners are supposed to keep both eyes open ... worked on doing that .... but old habits are hard to break (muscle memory is as expensive to uninstall as to install in the first place) .... sometimes i do, sometimes I don't .... but I really don't shoot enough shotgun to worry about it anymore ....

.... anyhoo, when I started with handguns, I was taught correctly- both eyes open, Front Sight, Press ..... and again .... old habits made it difficult, .... but I got it down .... and then I started in with "Scout" rifles and .... both eyes open is faster, and precise enough for any shot that demands utmost speed, IME .... in the last year, though ...... astigmatism in my left eye has reared it's ugly head .... it may not be many years before the question is moot .....

nanney1 do you know which of your eyes is dominant? I grew up shooting left handed, and found I always needed to close my right eye to be focus on my sights. When I bought my first bow in my teens, I learned about eye dominance and that I was right eye dominant. I slowly forced myself to learn to shoot right handed, and now it's completely natural for me, and I find it's actually easier to shoot with both eyes open than to shut one eye.

nanney1 do you know which of your eyes is dominant? I grew up shooting left handed, and found I always needed to close my right eye to be focus on my sights. When I bought my first bow in my teens, I learned about eye dominance and that I was right eye dominant. I slowly forced myself to learn to shoot right handed, and now it's completely natural for me, and I find it's actually easier to shoot with both eyes open than to shut one eye.
I've always acted as if I was right eye dominant. I'm right handed, but always batted left handed. A coach did a test with a paper cup with a hole in the bottom. The result, he said, showed that I was left eye dominant. He was trying to switch me to a right hand batter.

I always shot bb guns with my left eye closed, aiming with only my right eye.

Now that I'm older and need contacts, my left eye requires a stronger prescription than my right. So, without contacts in, my right eye is stronger.

On my most recent trip to the range to shoot my new Shield, I tried both eyes open. I did shoot a little better, but this may have been from becoming more familiar with the gun. Range officer also helped to correct my hand placement which brought an immediate improvement.

Back