One cartridge - one load... ?

for handgun rounds I only shoot the 357 magnum. I have it a S&W 640, 686, 627 and ruger single action for revolvers. I have it in Marlin and Ruger 77/357 for carbines, I have it in a derringer, I have it in a Coonan Classic for semi-auto. Those are the ones I can name off the top of my head.

I dont shoot only 1 load though. I have 4 that I shoot alot.

I also shoot alot of 45-70, 22lr and 12ga and have long guns and handguns in all 4 of those rounds.

I have 25 guns now and all 25 are either 22lr, 12ga, 45-70 or 357 magnum. It makes stocking up on ammo much easier.

I have 5 45-70

1. Marlin SBL
2. IMI BFR
3. Uberti Sharps reproduction
4. Marlin cowboy
5. AWC Thunder trap Suppressor

I have 8 22lrs

1. Tac-Sol SBX rifle
2. Winchester 1902 single shot
3. Walther P22
4. Ruger 45/22
5. NAA mini revolver
6. Ruger 10-22
7. Uberti single action 22 revolver.
8. AAC Element 2 supressor

I have 3 12ga

1. Remington 870
2. Browning auto (cant remember the number)
3. Taylor 1887 SBS (10inch barrel)

I have 10 357 magnums

1. Coonan Classic
2. Deringer
3. S&W 640
4. Marlin lever action 16.5 inch barrel. (belongs to my son now but he keeps it here)
5. S&W 686
6. Ruger Vaquaro
7. S&W 627
8. Gave the rossi away
9. Uberti 1873 (20 inch barrel)
10. Ruger 77/357 (Cut to 16.25 inches)
11. Liberty Mystic X Suppresser.

I believe that is all of them.

I still want a 45-70 Derringer, a lever action 22lr, 1873 trapper in 357, a double barrel 12ga. I would also love a semiauto 357 magnum carbine if one existed. I would love a 45-70 gatling gun as well but those are so expensive.

Last edited:
I don't have a S/A in 45 ACP but I do have 5 1911s and a 625 revolver. Shoot the same load in all of them. it's a 200 gr RN cast with 4.5 of WST. 4.3 seems to work in everything except 1 Commander size gun. I'll try the 4.3 in it again after it's been shot some more. The RN works well in the 625, it's just as accurate as SWCs in the autos.

I suppose you could. If all your pistols just happen to like that load as their favorite most accurate loading. But people are curious and it's cheaper to tweak a load than it is to purchase firearms to fit a load.

I don't shoot the 45 only but I shoot it in a 1911, carry an officer's 1911 and have a Contender barrel in 45 acp. And my loads are different in the Gov 1911 and the Officers. And my loads in the Contender aren't suitable for polite conversation :D. I couldn't do it with a 45 acp, the 357 mag, maybe.

I don't want to choose, but if I just have to then I will take a S&W 686 .357 mag with 180gr WFN at 1300 fps.
Or perhaps a Smith & Wesson 329 pushing a Kieth bullet at 1200fps from .44 Special cases. Yeah, that should do it all.

I would prefer a same weight HP to compliment the WFN, but will do without if I can't have it. THANK GOODNESS I don't have to choose.

I'm sure glad I I don't have to! Getting by without 22's and 32's would make me a sad panda.

I guess I would have to go with 357, or 44special, or 45colt, loaded up hot enough for deer hunting and SD. Target practice would be tiring. Rabbits and squirrels would have to be head shots.

I really enjoy a variety of calibers and loads.

45acp would be farther down on my list. It's not ideal for hunting or long range.

For me if I was to limit myself to one cartridge size in one load for multiple guns it would have to be a .357 mag using a 158gr SWC. In my experience this is probably the most versatile load there is. And I'm more of a .41 mag guy, but since shooting the .357 for a few years now I would grudgingly give it a nod as more of an overall winner for versatility. If a shtf scenario ever actually happened it would be a tossup between the .357 or a 9mm for me.

For me it's more like one bullet, one load. I don't have individual loads for different firearms that use the same cartridge.

Rather than "one cartridge - one load", my rule is: "one gun for ever commonly used cartridge made".

I have handguns in .22, .25, .380, 9mm, 38sp/.357, 40S&W, 10mm, 45acp and 44 magnum. I have yet to be able to find some decent priced ammo to shoot when preppers and flea-marketers hoard ammo for profit. Good luck with that if all you have are guns that shoot one type of cartridge!:D

Of course, you can get the same combo in 9mm. Ruger has a 9 mm cylinder for the Blackhawk, S&W makes a 9mm 8 shot DA, plus plenty of smaller 9mm revolvers.

Disqualified by multiple handgun calibers. Five

Disqualified by multiple loads for each caliber. 9mm - 27 different bullet/powder combinations, 40S&W - 9, 45 Auto - 9, 38SPL - 6 and counting

Hammer1 I think your idea is a rational one, I would maybe have a box of plus P's around, but I live in the woods. keeping one type of ammo can be less confusing if you grab some in a hurry. I went woods strolling one day with my favorite 45 long colt and discovered when I got home my pockets were full of 44-40's, seems this has happened more than ounce now that my eyesight isn't what it used to be. And yes I went out and bought different colored plastic boxes for my different caliber reloads now.

Back