On behalf of LEOs...

Well said...

As an instructor, I always suggest having your insurance and CCL ready for when getting pulled over. Always refrain from quick movements and saying "gun" I would start out saying "I have a valid permit to carry and I am carrying a firearm". That way it's not mistaken who said the word "gun".

In TX, I have been disarmed once. It was after a car accident where a guy ran a stop sign into me. Quite a crash. When the deputy arrived, I informed him that I had a CHL and a Glock on my hip.

He asked me if I would object if we went to the back of my car, and I would put the gun down in the trunk and he would unload it.

I was perfectly fine with that. I can see how an accident can be full of emotions and he didn't need to worry about that. When all the reporting was over, I got the gun back, reloaded and that was that.

I felt no challenge to my rights. It made sense to me. Other tickets, cop just said to keep hands of the wheel and take the ticket. Twice, I got off with a warning.

We are discussing issues directly related to the firearm during a traffic stop. While this may not be true for everyone every time I have been pulled over I knew very well what I was being puled over for. Only once was there any doubt.

Your demeanor will also play a roll in how the officer handles it. Again this is not a statement that is intended to put blame on anyone who was shot in a situation that was avoidable - I was not there, I do not know the officers involved, the day they were having, or how the individual involved acted. I do not know a lot of various factors that could play a role. However if you believe that even professionals are not influenced by how you begin the interaction with them (your demeanor, the words you use, the look on your face) you are likely mistaken most of the time.

What's the best way to deal with an officer with a bad attitude that pulls you over? Haven't had that experience in years, but when I did it left a bad impression.

I would suggest that you don't even reach for the wallet since the officer does not know what you are reaching for. I turn on interior lights and roll down my windows when stopped. then I place my hands on the window sill until the officer approaches. I know some states require notifying the officer if you are armed and some don't require it. The etiquette of turning on lights and keeping hands visible is good indication that you are carrying. Informing the officer is better in case you reach for something and he sees the gun.

I would suggest that you don't even reach for the wallet since the officer does not know what you are reaching for. I turn on interior lights and roll down my windows when stopped. then I place my hands on the window sill until the officer approaches. I know some states require notifying the officer if you are armed and some don't require it. The etiquette of turning on lights and keeping hands visible is good indication that you are carrying. Informing the officer is better in case you reach for something and he sees the gun.

I want to do all my reaching for stuff while he's a still long way away from my vehicle, so it doesn't matter. When he gets there, my hands are on the wheel. I haven't been pulled over at night in many years; that's why I didn't mention the dome light. (dome light is a good idea)

reaching/movement

Odds are that an officer has had the driver under observation for at least some period of time prior hitting the lights. A good officer will have the tag logged or broadcast well before the lights come on, and have picked a location of sorts that you can get the car into and both be a tad safer.

Be assured, if you are moving about the interior, reaching, rocking your person about, etc, fall into the category of furtive motion, and you have heightened the officers suspicions in advance, and this can be observed while both vehicles are still in motion and prior the lights coming from some distance to the rear. I would recommend one limit any movement they make once a stop is initiated. Don't do anything seemingly overboard, like sticking your hands out the window, on your head, that sort of thing. NOrmal people don't do that. Again, that heightens suspicion. ..... "This guy's been contacted by LE before, I wonder why?"

Hands on the steering wheel is a good practice, as is having your permits available with your license. So too is interior lights at night.

I have been involved with police twice with a gun in my car. The first time, I was going through an S curve in town that has several traffic obstacles, rail tracks, pot holes, and it's a two lane wide road with a single lane. A car was behind me, he noticed that I swung around these things, and whatever, I swung out at a comfortable distance, as I had an entire double wide lane.

Well, doing that looks like weaving. He stopped me to check. I told him that the gun was in the glove box, he said "okay, leave it there."

Good enough. Oh, I hadn't been drinking, it was just as I said, avoiding dinks in a rough road, and it looked screwy.

The second was an accident. I told the one who was taking my information about the pistol in the passenger side floor, to lock it up, he said "no need, I know about it now." I've always known to pull the wallet out and put it on the dash as soon as I stop, and keep the hands on the wheel as they come up.

As a 22 year LEO, the last person I'm worried about being shot by is the person who took the time and paid the expense to get a permit. Shooting cops doesn't require a permit, so nobody gets one for that............ You just need a gun and the propensity to be a criminal............. When I see someone is a permit holder, I don't ask them for their gun, about their gun, or anything even RELATED to guns.

The person with no permit, that's the one I'm watching closley.................

Treating others like you wish to be treated. That is, life can be stressful enough, so make it easy as possible for those who put themselves on the line every day. The same bad actors around whose presence is reason we carry often have a hatred for LEOs. Takes a few minutes for one stopping you to figure where your attitude lies. Put caring with your compliance and courtesy. My best to each of you.

As a 22 year LEO, the last person I'm worried about being shot by is the person who took the time and paid the expense to get a permit. Shooting cops doesn't require a permit, so nobody gets one for that............ You just need a gun and the propensity to be a criminal............. When I see someone is a permit holder, I don't ask them for their gun, about their gun, or anything even RELATED to guns.

The person with no permit, that's the one I'm watching closley.................

Pretty much what the officer at our concealed carry classes said. in Ohio, when they run your plate, they know the registered vehicle owner is a permit holder, and the only remaining question for the officer is whether that is who is actually behind the wheel. Warned my son whose vehicle is registered to me, to do exactly the same as I was trained in a traffic stop.

Pretty much what the officer at our concealed carry classes said. in Ohio, when they run your plate, they know the registered vehicle owner is a permit holder, and the only remaining question for the officer is whether that is who is actually behind the wheel. Warned my son whose vehicle is registered to me, to do exactly the same as I was trained in a traffic stop.

I live in Ohio as well and have had three encounters with law enforcement in the last year. Two collisions with deer and one wildlife officer that we had to call to our farm.

The first deer I hit I told the officer I had my CCW, but that I was not carrying that day. His response "why not?" That took me by surprise.

2nd deer I hit, as soon as the trooper pulled up I told him I had my gun on me, his reply "ok, good, I don't need to see your license"

The third encounter with the wildlife officer was much the same. We had a very vulgar trespasser that started mouthing off to the officer from about 100 yards away right when he got out of his truck. My first words to him "I'm carrying my handgun". His reply "you got my back?" Lol.

All of my experiences with law enforcement I have made it a point to communicate with them right off the bat that A. I have my permit and B whether or not I'm carrying. Their professionalism each time impressed me very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not recommend any disarming/gun handling at all. unless a person is suspect for whatever reason, leave the firearm secured in the holster or glove box or console. the more gun handling there is the more likelihood of a negligent discharge.

a lot of good advice here from others.... some states require immediate ccw disclosure status, some do not.

hands in an easier viewed non-threatening position is a good idea even if you're not carrying. interior lights on for night is appreciated greatly.

if you are required to disclose your ccw status or there is a reasonable likelihood of it being discovered, a good initial phrase to say is "officer I have a license to carry a pistol, how do you want to proceed"? do nothing unless directed because you nor the officer want any surprises or misunderstandings. there is nothing wrong with narrating your movements and even saying them before a movement to ensure the officer knows what your intentions are.

the thing to remember is keeping your empty hands in a clearly seen position and having a non-confrontational attitude goes a long way.....

hope that this helps.

As soon as I got my CWP I changed my SOP. The registration and proof of insurance now resides on the drivers side sun visor in all our vehicles. I carry IWB on my right hip. As soon as I see blue lights and know they are for me, my wallet is coming out of my left back pocket and on the dash it goes. My hands will then be on the top of the steering wheel until told to do otherwise. After of course I've told the officer who I am etc.

This is similar to what I did. I used to carry my wallet in my right rear pocket. When I got my CPL I realized that retrieving my wallet for an LEO was going to make me move my hand towards my weapon. I went out and bought a money clip/wallet that fits in my front pocket on my left side. If I need to retrieve my wallet I do not have to move my right hand towards my weapon.

This is similar to what I did. I used to carry my wallet in my right rear pocket. When I got my CPL I realized that retrieving my wallet for an LEO was going to make me move my hand towards my weapon. I went out and bought a money clip/wallet that fits in my front pocket on my left side. If I need to retrieve my wallet I do not have to move my right hand towards my weapon.

Being as respectful as I can here, but your point really isn't a point. As an LEO who has likely never met you before, how am I supposed to know that your right handed and carry your gun strong side? How do I know your not left handed and pocket carry?

Again, I'm not really worried about folks who have the permit, as those are TYPICALLY the folks who aren't really interested in shooting at the police. If you're worried about being misunderstood, the best policy is to LISTEN to what the officer requests of you, then COMMUNICATE that you are doing what you were asked.

FWIW.

Listen to the officer and politely do what he says. If you say the CCW is on your right hip do you really expect him to believe there's no risk if you're reaching on your left side?

People lie to the police all the time. He knows it and expects it of you even though you think he shouldn't. ;)

This is a curious discussion and lacking more insights from actual LEO's.

I assume everyone I deal with is lying to me. This is practically always true. From the "I stopped at the stop sign" to "just two beers" to "I didn't hit her" to "That's not mine" just about everyone I deal with lies. I celebrate when someone tells me the truth.

I assume everyone I deal with is armed. In our rural county this is a pretty valid assumption. Some people tell me they are armed. I tell them don't reach for it. A lot of people keep their CCL next to their DL so I see quite a few of those. Being armed changes absolutely nothing about the encounter for a routine traffic stop. Because I already believe everyone is armed anyway.

I assume everyone I deal with will want to kill me at some point. People shoot cops because they don't want to go to jail for a DUI and a plenty of other stupid reasons. You may have just robbed a bank or murdered your wife and I have no idea about it. I take a host of measures to protect myself from whomever I am dealing with. The techniques I use are tried and tested techniques learned and compiled over the decades that have resulted in lower police deaths year after (until this year). They are clearly not foolproof. I can do everything right and still die. I train and keep myself in shape. I have to hope to get lucky. Reaction is by definition slower than action.

Rarely, very rarely do I disarm people. The idea here is to prevent a shooting through a misunderstanding or the aggressive offensive actions of the person I am dealing with. The last thing I ever want to do is shoot someone. That does not trump making my wife a widow and kids orphans.

If I believe that the person I am dealing with is intoxicated or dealing in intoxicants disarming them is the first thing I will do before proceeding on to other things. Intoxicated people often don't behave rationally and have difficulty communicating. Practically everyone who gets arrested consumes intoxicants at some point. The link between intoxicants and criminal behavior is rock solid near 100%.

The last person I disarmed who was not a career criminal was an armed security guard in uniform. Another officer who was transporting a prisoner had followed him for several miles and was convinced he was intoxicated based on his driving. Before conducting sobriety tests on him I took his pistol. I disarm everyone I do tests on. Turns out the guy had worked 20 hours straight and was just really tired and falling asleep. I was glad he wasn't drunk or high.

If you're worried about being misunderstood, the best policy is to LISTEN to what the officer requests of you, then COMMUNICATE that you are doing what you were asked.

This works best nearly all the time.

As a 22 year LEO, the last person I'm worried about being shot by is the person who took the time and paid the expense to get a permit. Shooting cops doesn't require a permit, so nobody gets one for that

True to a point. The point being where they are getting ready to get taken to jail for the first time and they don't want to go. We had a CCL kill an officer a couple of years ago out here at a DUI stop.

It has been claimed that some dealers in my area are using non-felon CCW holders to guard their street operations against rivals. Not sure about that, and in someways doesn't make sense to me, but it has been claimed.

It isn't unusual for a dealer to engage someone with a drug habit but no criminal record to drive them around and deliver drugs. Some of these people have a CCL. Most of the time someone with a drug problem does not keep a clean record for long, especially if they are in a conspiracy to traffic.

Stand on a street corner? Not so much.

Back