older eyes and pistol shooting

As Mike38 noted, the Merit device will solve your problem. It's a mite cumbersome to affix to your glasses but it will bring the front sight into focus, and does so, even with these seventy year old eyes. Personally, I have no use for scopes or any other unwieldy optical device on a handgun. Imo, handguns should be, well, handy.

focus

If one insists on seeing the target clearly (and what's beyond), instead of your front sight, at all but contact/point shoot distance you will see your miss clearly too.

I tried without glasses.That ,at this point in my life, means a very sharp front sight, blurred rear and blurred target. I shoot a M29 44mag patridge sights. Not just for target I've gotten deer with it !! :p
It's all the front sight ! That's why IPSC shooters are always mumbling , 'front sight, front sight !'. You can work out mathematically that the front sight is the most important is the front. Now there is a problem sometimes in hunting when the deer is in the brush. For that the way to do it is to first focus on the deer for rough line up then bring back the focus to the front sight !
Remember some of the basics - you lose ground if you hold more than 10 seconds [deer may move in shorter time than that] . Practice ! Metallic silhouette is great for that .Iron sight hangun is good for about 60 yds .If you do well on target at 100 you're ready. Most of my deer were one shot kills !

Sight

If one insists on seeing the target clearly (and what's beyond), instead of your front sight, at all but contact/point shoot distance you will see your miss clearly too.
Yep. It is an inescapable truth.
I was interested enough in the "put a lens for distance in one side of an eyeglass frame and a lens that gives a clear focus on the front sight in the other" idea.
Found two identical frames with appropriate lenses and tried it out.
Nope.
The shooting eye lens worked fine. But there was no merging of the target and the sight. Why? Because I am looking out of one eye at the front sight and the target, out of focus, is in the same field of vision beyond the sight. If I wanted the target in focus, I had to concentrate on the target with my left eye.....and that meant that I was not concentrating on the front sight.
Perhaps this works for some shooters.....but I don't see how it could.
Dilation of the iris is sympathetic, that is one reason why it is impossible the two eyes to focus independently on two different objects at different distances at the same time.....regardless of correction.
Pete

I don't want to shoot at a target I'm not seeing clearly, as in "be sure of your target and what lies beyond...". So I focus on the target and let the front sight blur. You'll probably do it that way anyway if you ever have to use a handgun as a weapon and not a range toy.

Well if you're focused on the target and not the front sight than it probably good to limit your handgun use to close in shooting cause you ain't gonna hit crap. FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT! BTW, feeling the need to hit something beyond spitting distance does not make something a range toy. A lot of serious work goes on far beyond your SD range for people who know what they're doing.

Old eyes vs open sights is yet another example of ol' Elmer knowing his stuff. As your eyes get older shorter barrels with less sight radio's can actually be an aid. Go figure.

Older eyes ? How about just old period ! Have several hand guns and sort, carry nothing but my .40s, went to laser lite on right side of slide on both, best money I could spend, around $90 a piece. :D

I have 20/20 vision, don't wear glasses, and I still have this problem. Why? It has nothing to do with wearing glasses, or having good (or bad) vision. Simply, it is impossible for the human eye to focus on multiple things at different distances. I focus on the front sight. The rear sight is a bit blurry, but I can tell the front post is inside the rear sight, and the target is blurry. But I can make out enough detail (even if it is just an amorphous blob) to be able to hit my target well.

Now, there may be other issues with regards to your glasses that make this harder (rear sight and target not just blurry, but almost not visible). If this is the case, and we're talking an SD weapon, a laser would likely help you out. I don't use lasers, and I don't like them, but I know there are good uses for them.

Back