Old S&W single action help??? differences between "baby Russian" & model 1 1/2 & 2

just talking handguns ( cause I'm out of room for any more long guns :o ) I've got a good collection of modern guns ( was / am partial to stainless from a practical point of view ) & partial to revolvers, but still have "enough" modern semi autos, & a good collection of C&R Czech semi autos... but lately ( after getting my CCW ) I became pretty interested in old CCW type guns... often a chopped off barrel on an old gun, turns off the "real collectors" which I guess is good for me, as I find those more interesting ( & affordable ) than a pristine non chopped model...

my chopped ( like 75 - 100 years ago ) 32 S&W model 1.5 & my Model 2 that I chopped the barrel on, because the guns finish was in poor condition, but mechanically it was perfect, & the last inch of barrel at the muzzle was heavily pitted, are probably my 2 favorite guns right now... I load for both cartridges, & have both a target ( with lead round ball ) & an acceptable defense load ( with 100 grain cast bullets ) that I can shoot in these guns... I think they are just plain fun to shoot, & put a big :D on my face when I shoot them

Winchester 73 said:
It might be worth it for you to buy the SCSW 3rd ed.
This! ^^^^^ What he said!

If you're going to play the old S&W game, that book is money well spent.

I am not even going to try to wade through all that. I tried to use the original S&W terminology, but the collector terms and what "I use" always win.

I will note, for Winchester 73, that the statement "The 38 SA 2nd model is kind of a 1 1/2 centerfire, just enlarged" is not quite correct; the .38 came first, so the .32 is the .38 SA 2nd Model reduced. Also a free tip - if you have to remove the cylinder from a Baby Russian, do not force it; cylinders have been ruined that way. Remove the screw in the top strap; that releases the cylinder retainer, which then can slide back with the cylinder until the cylinder comes free.

If you want a decent book on the older S&W's skip SCSW and see if you can find a copy of Neal and Jinks' Smith and Wesson 1857-1945. The pictures are better, the writers more knowledgeable, and the X-ray photos alone are invaluable.

Jim

Last edited:
I can find the Neal & Jinks book listed on Amazon's search, but not the SCSW book... can someone tell what that is the abriviation for ??? so I can see if they have a copy ??? I've picked up what material I can find on the Hopkins & Allen Safety Police models, I should get some reference material on these Smiths as well... thanks for the book suggestions

magnum wheel man said:
I can find the Neal & Jinks book listed on Amazon's search, but not the SCSW book... can someone tell what that is the abriviation for ???

Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, 3rd Edition, by Supica and Nahas.

Jim Keenan is correct that the Neal & Jinks book is much more in-depth and tightly-focused, but the downside is that it's also more in-depth and tightly-focused. Of course, if you have a C&R, it does cover the only portion of S&W history you're probably interested in. ;)

Sorry for not spelling out that abbreviation. I am so used to everyone knowing what it means I slip up from time to time.

Jim

Back