OLD Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag gate keeps opening

From https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/customerService/

Will installation of the conversion kit affect the value of my gun?
No. The parts that are removed to install the conversion kit are returned to you in order to preserve the collector's value of your gun, and no permanent alteration is performed to them. We do this because we know these guns are collector's items and we want to encourage 'old model' owners to get this free valuable service from us.

If you are determined to have a dangerous gun, you can always convert it back.
There is nothing more dangerous about an unmolested 3 screw Ruger S/A than any other gun. What's dangerous is uneducated people handling them.
But then, uneducated people will probably find another way to be dangerous.

Ruger single actions are a nightmare to reassemble.
No they're not.
Fiddly sometimes, especially if you don't pre-stage certain pins and parts properly during the process. But far from a nightmare.

Nightmare would be something like a Ross rifle, where the bolt can be assembled incorrectly, inserted into the action, and then it won't come out again.
Or some of the mid-century Savage/Stevens semi-autos that can suffer from malfunctions that require drilling out rivets, clearing the issue, then holding 367 parts in position while riveting everything back together.

Someone's first time inside of a Ruger SA revolver might be a frustrating learning experience, but the same can be said for many firearm designs.
Once you've dug around in their guts a couple of times, it's an easy job.

Problem of sending it in, is a) they might condemn the gun or b) they will convert it and then may not return the original parts. Always a crap shoot.
It isn't the recall that I would worry about, it's the other parts.

Ruger no longer stocks any "old style" parts - and, here, "old style" is anything pre-2005 or so. And disassembly and assembly are done on benches with bins of replacement parts available, where the parts with the best fit are the ones used for reassembly - whether original or new.

Anything that appears to be modified or show excessive wear will also be replaced, whether or not it actually needs to be. You may or may not get modified or custom parts back, if the repair tech recognizes what it is.

So even sending in a mid-'90s SBH for a minor repair can mean getting back a revolver with new style screws (matte finish), new style base pin (no collar, and shallower detent ring), new style grips, new style sights, etc., etc.

It has happened to many people, including myself. (Mine went in bone-stock.)

This is getting to be a soap opera. (I do NOT mean that in a BAD way!)

Please, please let us know how this thing turns out.

As I said in a previous post I personally think you're doing the Right Thing by sending it in to Ruger.

But, given that the gun is a 1968 with the original bluing that barely even has cylinder drag on it, I'm not going near it with a screwdriver. I know how that would end up.

As Harry Callahan famously said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

As a young man I didn't know mine and did NOT heed my uncle's sage advice when I got my first double action revolver and wanted to disassemble it so that I could lighten up the trigger pull.

"Well do you want to shoot the (expletive deleted) thing or spend your time looking at all the tiny revolver parts on the work bench?"

I disregarded his advice and what followed would charitably be called "a learning experience."

It's a problem

Well according to Keybear they do not return the old parts anymore.

If that is the case I sure would not send it in to them. Anyone sent one in recently?
I would be a very unhappy guy if they did not return my old parts. The gun is only original once.

I do follow the rules with my single action revolvers. The trigger is sweet on my old Sauer and Sohn .357. It is a traditional single action revolver.

In fact tho I rarely shop new I'm sure there are currently manufactured "5 shooters" IE: traditional single action.

Ricklin, you can go to Ruger's website right now and it will tell you that they return the parts. I think that carries more weight than internet rumors.

In my experience websites are OFTEN not updated with changes to the companies policies.
IF I were assured that the parts would be returned by the nice CS person, sure.

dangerous

Not my quote, but it's a good one...........
"Of course the *&^% things dangerous, I wouldn't carry it if it wasn't"
Attributed to a Texas Ranger.

I've had a Blackhawk apart, (to replace a broken transfer bar) it wasn't a piece of cake, but I managed it w/o catastrophe. Re-assembly was more difficult than the tear down, my gun was far tighter than the one in the video's.
Proper screwdrivers when working on any firearm is a plus.

Not my quote, but it's a good one...........
"Of course the *&^% things dangerous, I wouldn't carry it if it wasn't"
Attributed to a Texas Ranger.

There is a line in a courtroom scene in the original TRUE GRIT,

A lawyer tries to make a big deal about the marshal pointing a LOADED gun...
To which Rooster replies "ain't much good if it ain't loaded!" (or something very close to that...:D

I've had Blackhawks apart before, they aren't particularly tricksy or difficult, they just aren't a military arm meant to be taken apart and put back together by users constantly.

Being that the gun in question is not a New Model but a converted three screw (original model), I'd think Ruger is the right people to check it and do any needed work.

If it was mine, I would try to obtain the correct parts and fix it myself. But then, I'm mechanically inclined, fixing my own equipment all the time. The best advice for many on this subject is probably to let Ruger fix it. But I would have a difficult time letting it get out of my possession.

I am an admitted Ruger fan. I'm a little disappointed they didn't get back to you. Did you take the gun to a local smith?

Back