Old Remington 1100 12ga won’t fire

Wrong barrel??

Smee78, thanks for the reply. I hade mentioned in post #9 that maybe it was an incorrect barrel. The reason the barrel wasn’t on was it would not fit in his closet safe installed. I was also given an 870 magnum with a slug barrel installed. There was also another extra short barrel with an adjustable choke.
On the 1100 the barrel I installed was a 30” full fixed choke with vent rib. I presumed that’s the shotgun it was intended for. It seats flush at the rib/receiver area. The other short barrel doesn’t have the long grooved “tang” area.
Thanks again.

All 1100 barrels within gauge and series will interchange. I have a 1966 1100 Magnum with a new Steel Shot barrel, and a 1963 1100 wearing a new Target Contour barrel.

In your pictures above, the operating handle does not appear to be all the way forward in its slot in the bolt. Check that the piston and seal are able to enter the gas collar freely. If they don't, the locking block will not enter its recess in the barrel tang and the gun will not fire.

That did it!

DanLee, thanks for your post! I had pretty much given up for a few days until I read your post. I thought, “Ok, one more shot at this before I take it to a gunsmith”. I repositioned the bolt handle several times until I confirmed that it was as far forward as it could be. I then hand fit the ring/piston into the barrel collar and it seemed ok. I sprayed the collar up well and let it soak. I took a brush to it vigorously until everything was spotless. I then ran my finger inside and felt a slight bur which I smoothed up with saturated steel wool. I reinstalled the barrel and kept my fingers crossed. Voila, that did the trick!

I’d like to thank everyone for their great posts and continued help. I’m a lot more intimately familiar now with the functioning/maintenance of this 1100!

Stay safe :)! Dave

Back