Old rem. 700 heavy barrel

cool... thanks for the info... if it looks like the barrel is questionable, I had intended on replacing it with a faster twist, to better handle those "new fangled" bullets... also had thought about ( as mentioned before ) about switching out the scope for a 4 X 12... but if this rifle could be recognized as a configuration recommended by the sniper school, even if the FIL bought it based on those recommendations, maybe I'll leave the scope alone... my range is 300 yards, & the 6X aught to work OK for that distance... & I do tend to love the old school stuff :D

Last edited:
700 BDL heavy barrel .223 custom deluxetwist rate

So is the twist rate 12:1 or thereabouts? I too bought one of these beautiful well made rifles in the heavy barrell configuration. Anxious to shoot tomorow. I understand you probably can shoot .556 but the increased pressure would wear out the barrell faster, right?

datawoman-
You should shoot ammo marked 223 Remington through your rifle. These older rifles had shorter throats and slow twist barrels, and will do best with bullets from 50 to 55 grains.

Like a fool I sold my 22/250 BDL heavy barrel.

I still have a newer .223 VS. And I DID almost blow it up shooting Guatemalan 55 grain milsurp through it on a hot AZ day. First shot big puff of smoke, 2nd one popped a primer. Since then no 5.56 for me, even though I shot some pretty hot 60 gr loads through it, I made sure the bullets were not seated into the rifling.

I still have a .25-06 VS that I bought in 1978. Beautiful rifles but I don't agree that they were tack drivers. Mine had no magic spell on it. Wasn't till I had the barrel free floated that it started to shoot small groups.

It came with bases which I no longer have. Still have the fixed power M8 24x Leupold I put on it.

Back