old muzzleloader

You might be right on the hand-forged, with that drum and nipple style lock it looks like a flint-to-percussion adapted barrel. What's the caliber?

I'm not sure on the Cal. but I can see rifling. When I dropped the ram rod down the barrel it shot out a nice big ploom of dust!!:eek:

From what I've read this was a builder out of the Fort Recovery Ohio area and built his guns from 1854 to 1890. The Great-Grandsons still have his rifling tools. I was hoping to contact a relative.
If you look close at the hammer and cap area you can see a flash pan or shield?? I was told this might mean it was placed there for a left handed shooter? Does that sound right?

Thanks,
The bore seams to measure approximately 1/2" across if that helps. Yes I think it looks pretty good. Could use a coat of oil and some retention pins (if that's what they're called. The locking loops under the barrel are fine so they must have just been removed and lost or fell out??

I believe there is a book that has info on these pieces, at the Ohio Historical Society archives. I never did get around to requesting it.

I'd need too dig back through old emails to remember the name of it.

I'm pretty sure that was a commercial, factory-made barrel and was very likely never a flintlock.

If you look at the muzzle you can see a circular line where it was lathe dressed and likely held on an arbor and spindle while the flats were dressed.

My guess is the barrel was made post 1850, possibly even post Civil War.

The cup around the nipple was, as someone suggested, a shield. It directed blast and pieces of the cup up and away from the shooter or someone standing beside him.

The style of the stock and furniture also suggests post 1850.

Suggest that you visit: "The Log Cabin" shop...

in Lodi, Ohio.

The Kendrigs operate and MAY be able to ID supply additional info.

Google for website.

Back