Old M1907 oddity and advice requested

There was a limited run of S&W M&P revolvers with fixed sights, I THINK it was the Model 45, made for a number of years.

Some were purchased by the Postal Service and used for training, while others were purchased by the Coast Guard.

They are very highly sought after by collectors.

Here's one going for over $3,000

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9337501

As for what weapons were used by the Postal Service, at one time I believe that they took some surplus World War I era Model 1917s, and also Colt and Smith & Wesson .38s.

Issuing firearms to postal employees makes a lot of sense, because at one time the postal service handle a LOT of negotiable items, such as bonds and checks, as well as a lot of cash.

In many towns the post office would have more money than the local stores.

For some time, the Postal Service used 3" Ruger Speed Sixes. For years afterward you could buy the new, unused barrels out of Shotgun news.

From my experience the 1917 looks original. I've seen many pass over the counter of our shop, including one that was our "Mystery Gun" at our action shooting league, which would have been very close in appearance to this one.

Which one are you talking about?

The one that Jismal has pictures of, or the one that is on the auction site?

I agree that Jismal's is likely an original finish, but I still the one on the auction site has been refinished.

I agree that Jismal's is likely an original finish, but I still the one on the auction site has been refinished

Nope.

I have studied the auction pics very carefully and compared it to the 4 examples that I own.

All I will concede is that the barrel MIGHT be a refinish or even a possbile replacement. And before I would make a final judgement on that, I would have to see the gun in person in normal light.

As far as the rest of the gun is concerned, the edges of the frame and edges of the flute cuts in the cylinder are sharp and square. None of the rough machining marks are smoothed over. I don't see any indications that you mentioned of dished screw holes. The fit of the sideplate is excellent and the "fit" line shows no indication of refinishing.

Too many clues that contraindicate a refinish. Markings on the sideplace and frame were applied before final polishing for bluing, and are often very light or partially washed out. These look perfectly normal to me based on several hundred 1917s that I have handled over the last 50 years, including my own.

That was just one example that I selected from the particular GB auction heading I searched (1917 Colt). There were several others that all looked the same as this.

OP's gun is an early example and the finish has not shown the deterioration of the later guns.

Last edited:
Sorry, for all of the reasons I've listed I continue to maintain that that guns has been refinished.

Either that, or the bottom half of Mr. Colt's pony has fallen in a hole and can't get out.

One additional reason why I'm sticking with my idea that it's refinished is because Jim also agrees that it's refinished.

He's a retired gunsmith with what, Jim, about 50 years experience?

If he said it wasn't refinished, I'd go with that.

Last edited:
OK, I only have 36 years as a gunsmith, and 57 years as a collector, so I guess I'm wrong. Believe what you want.

Last edited:
One sign of a problem is the pitting on the right side of the barrel where it looks like they didn't bother to brush it. Another is the lengthwise striations on the trigger guard. Polishing that area at the factory was done with a wheel shaped to match the shape of the frame, so the operator "rolled" the gun against the wheel. The result is that polishing marks on the trigger guard, the frame area behind it, and the area in front of it, all have polishing marks running crossways.

Any polishing marks running lengthwise on the trigger guard were not put there by the factory.

I can see why it might be hard to say that a crude-looking finish is not factory. One of my Colt 1917's (Army number 80719) has a factory finish only a little less rough than that gun. But the markings are sharp and clear, the barrel markings are clear and intact, and the "pony" is sharp and fresh. I will still hold that that gun has been refinished.

Jim

The result is that polishing marks on the trigger guard, the frame area behind it, and the area in front of it, all have polishing marks running crossways.

Jim, all of my 1917 Colts have "crossways" polishing marks on and behind the trigger guard. Also, the gun in the auction has little or no finish left on the trigger bow itself.

Sorry; But I still just don't see it. Since I guess nobody is going to buy the gun to verify, we'll all have to agree to disagree.:)

Back