old guns

I keep hoping Ruger will bring back the 44 carbines, and introduce them in .357 also.
Two thumbs up for that one. Also a pump action rifle/ carbine in magnum pistol calibers, ala the Timberwolf, with 10 to 15 round capacity, depending on barrel length. If there was ever a semi auto ban, the company already making a pump would be miles ahead. Like lever guns, Americans love a sweet pump action.

Since Ruger now owns Marlin, I would love to see them make sort of a Super Model 60, in .357 Mag. Keep the long tube feed for 8-10 round capacity, and maybe a 2 position gas port, to allow for shooting .38 special and full magnum ammo.

Since Ruger now owns Marlin, I would love to see them make sort of a Super Model 60, in .357 Mag.

While it is a neat idea, I don't see it happening, there's just too much stacked up against it being profitable.

First off, it could only resemble a Model 60 on the outside. The entire gun would have to be designed from scratch, and that's not cheap.

Next point is caliber, and gas operation. Simply put, lead bullet ammo does not "play nice" in gas operated firearms. Ruger went through that with their .44 Mag semi auto decades ago.

Despite numerous and frequent advice/warnings to NOT shoot lead bullets in that gun, people did it, anyway. The had trouble, gunked up the gun, and then, of course, BLAMED RUGER....

Since even today the majority of .357 and .38 Special ammo has lead bullets, its going to happen. And expect the same thing, ignorant people will loudly, publicly, and frequently blame Ruger, and the gun's design, and the gun will get a poor reputation and sales will drop, Not fair, not HONEST, but it's what people WILL do.

Next point is relatively minor, but Ruger does not have a great track record with tubular magazines. This was another point of complaint about their .44 carbine, and again, for nearly the same reasons. People shoving lead (and soft lead) ammo into it, gunking things up, and it was very difficult to take down and clean. LIkewise, there is the built in difficulty of unloading the tube. The Ruger rotary box magazine is superb, and its almost a given Ruger would use that over a tube magazine system these days.

Lastly, there is the radical political climate today that seeks to ban/or otherwise restrict semi autos. ALL of them. Even ones with fixed magazines.

The idea might go somewhere as a pump, but as a semi auto, I don't think so, not these days....sadly...

In my opinion, Ruger ought to reintroduce the 1894 Marlin ASAP and waste no time about it. They should start with a substantial run of 357 magnums followed by either 44 magnum or 45 Colt. They should make most of them with a no-frills, yet well fit quality that the working man can afford. Walnut is mandatory, and they need to get the rifling twist better than ever.

I'd like to see Winchester re introduce the model 55 in solid-frame version. Only two calibers needed, 30WCF and 38-55.

Does it have to be a commercial firearm?

I've always thought that the Swiss K31 service rifle was an amazing and innovative design. I've got a couple and especially when combined with GP11 service ammo they are tack drivers.

I've heard that to produce a rifle of similar quality today would cost upwards of $3,000 but maybe those claims are correct. The craftsmanship and Swiss precision would be hard to match at a price making it worth producing.

My $0.02

Since Ruger now owns Marlin, I would love to see them make sort of a Super Model 60, in .357 Mag.
I don't see that happening, but I would love to see the Camp carbines again. That design already exists and is a proven seller. Kind of like the Mini-14 is not scary because it has a wood stock, the Camp carbines would be an option to have a pistol caliber carbine that won't make "certain people" wet their panties. I suppose you could argue that the Ruger PC is such a beast, but it doesn't have a wood stock.
I'd like to see Winchester re introduce the model 55 in solid-frame version
Yeah, well, first you'd have to reintroduce Winchester.:p

I read a couple months back, one of the Italian companies were making winchester 94s and was a direct copy of a 1940s model, not the angle eject thing, not sure if they are still making them, and cost wise were about as much as the new ones marked winchester and made in Japan

If I wanted a new 94 that is what I would get, no safety, no angle eject. MY granddads taught us on original Winchesters and Marlins made in the 1920s and 1930s,
how to properly use and carry a lever gun, but then I am now 71 year old and all the lawyer rules have made lever guns untrue to the originals

I keep hoping Ruger will bring back the 44 carbines, and introduce them in .357 also.

In the day, there was a rumor that a police supply house was going to set up to convert Ruger .44s to .357 with box magazine, but I never saw even a picture.

Winchester 100's

I would like to see the Win 100 be made again. Its a nice sleek semi-auto with one piece wood stock. I've got two carbine models one in .308 Win and one in .243. Both shoot great! I've got 30 plus rifles capable of killing deer, but the 100 carbine in .308 is my go to deer rifle.

Back