Old Fogey alert: Traded two autos for a wheelgun

going back to round guns...

I'm with you, Lend. I learned handgun shooting as a reserve LEO with a S&W M-10.

Just finished an off-duty qual with my Glock 27. Still misfires every 20-30 rounds, just like it's done since it was new. My partner's H&K USP .45 disassembled its magazine mid-string. Other guys were shooting Sigs and we had several significant malfunctions with them. I'm not saying this to diss autos-I'm just reporting the facts as they happened at this particular qual shoot.

I am now convinced to return to the round gun for off-duty carry. The Glock will be going away and I'll be looking for a Ruger SP101 in .357 or one of the Taurus .44/.45 snubs (if they are ever approved for sale here in California!!).

Back to the round guns, boys! They go bang every time and it's easier to police the brass!!

Hey, Lend...Nice Piece!...the revolver, that is...one question...is the topstrap drilled-and-tapped for a scope base, or does it have the "old-style" rear sight and "unholy" topstrap?...Okay, TWO questions...what "dash number" Model 19 is it?...Inquiring minds want to know!!!....mikey357

You've got to get that Glock serviced. That's not normal. My miniglock has been flawless for several thousand rounds.

Whew! I thought I was the only one "getting old" going on age 26. My birthday is right around the corner, yet despite my age, I am a definite six-gun lover. I'm glad I am not the only person my age who thinks that a revolver is the way to go for self-defense. I was worried that I was "getting old"....

With age comes wisdom they say. My "wisdom" cost me in my youth. When I turned 21, I had read all the gun magazines and I bought myself a Para-Ord. P-13.45, thinking that this pistol was the be-all-end-all handgun. The gun itself was $622 *plus* another $100 for 2 13-round mags.

I took my alleged "wonder-gun" to the range and was instantly upset. I had several FTFs, jams, stove-pipes, and all sorts of problems. Problem was a bum extractor from the factory. I got that issue resolved, but I still just could not shoot my overly-expensive .45. I was completely inaccurate with it. I couldn't hit *anything*, no matter what the range was. *SO*, I sold the Para-Ord. at a gun show...but only got $550 for it. :(

This story does have a happy ending. I took that money and found a new, stainless Ruger KGP-141 .357 Magnum. I picked that up plus 100 rounds of Cor-Bon 125-grainers and a nice cross-draw holster. And, if you have not read any of my other posts: I am absolutely thrilled beyond belief with my Ruger six-gun!! It is perfectly fitted for my hand. It is built like a bank vault and super easy to care for. And it's frighteningly accurate! This is the one gun I will not part with.

As I have said before, I am consistently amazed at the numer of people my age who believe they *have* to have some kind of an auto. Usually the auto that LEO/CIA/FBI/SEALs carry. These same people, 9 times out of 10, never even look at a revolver. How sad....

Best Wishes,
Mntneer357

mikey357,

my M19 has the "unholey" top strap and the old style rear sight. It's a 19-5. What does that tell you about it? I am not 100% up to speed on my *&* model history...

Mntneer357,

Please identify the cross-draw holster you use with you KGP-141. I have ordered a springbreak shoulder holster for mine, but 'would like to experiment with a cross-draw also.

Tyro,

I am in South Carolina and there is a guy who makes all sorts of custom holsters. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's McKinnon Holsters/Leather. He does very nice work and has been profiled in Handgunner and Guns Magazine.

I'd wager you could also find him displaying and selling at shows in the North Carolina area. I think I paid $45 for my rig. Presently, I am trying to find a good strong-side hip holster for my Ruger KGP-141.

Hope this helps!
Mntneer357

Dicho y hecho . . .

Well, now I've gone and done it. Instead of a fat little Glock (33), I now own a shiny new SP-101. I guess I'm an official old fogey.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go turn the hose on some kids who keep walking on my lawn . . . .

Erich, what caliber did you finally go for? .357/38 or .22? Barrel length? Blued or Stainless? Good luck with your new gun.

I got her us an SP-101 in .357 with a 2.25" bbl for a main house gun/occasional carry gun. Gina is very happy with the way the revolver operates and is especially happy with the way the grip feels and fits in her hand.

I also got a Taurus 94 for Gina to play with.

As soon as I brought out the Ruger in it's case, Gina took it out and started learning how it worked, and then dry-firing it. I'll tell you what, she's never showed any inclination to do that with any of the autos I've had around.

Cheers! erich

Lendringser, you aren't turning into a fogey...

Not by a long shot. My very first handgun, given to me by my mom when I left for the Air Force almost 15 years ago (Wow, have I been an indentured servant that long?!), was a 4" Model 19. She bought 3 of them from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, when the game wardens switched from the Model 19's to the wondernines, selling them off to DNR employees (Mom's a state park administrator)for $100 each. She went all out and bought a 6", 4", and 2.5" Model 19. Dad got the 6", I got the 4", and Mom kept the 2.5". I still have mine, it's a 19-4, and all I've ever done to it is add Hogue grips and some cold blue on the holster wear near the muzzle.

Not to steal thunder from Mike Irwin, but it's arguably the best balanced, nicest feeling, and most properly proportioned .357 Magnum I've ever had the pleasure of handling, let alone owning.

I even used the Combat Magnum to win an IHMSA silhouette match, under the field pistol category, shooting factory Federal Hydra-Shoks because I hadn't yet gotten reloading dies for .38/.357. Suffice it to say 100 rounds of good solid thumping power .357, squirting from a 4" K-frame, makes one wish they had a shooting glove! But the 100-yard rams did fall down when the Model 19 told them to...

I, too, am curious as to the date of mfg of Lendsringer's Model 19, and my own.

View

Back