Old disabled guy revolver

So, what exactly is it about the SP101 that you don't like? If it is the weight, you mention in a subsequent post about a 2.5" S&W 66 (that you seem to have only decided against due to price) which is a K-frame, so both larger and heavier than the SP101. Also, as already mentioned, if you are soon going to a mobility scooter, how much does a couple ounces really matter? If it is the trigger, just about anything will be better. If it is the recoil, I'm not sure either option you are looking at would be better.

Personally, I wouldn't go with any of the guns you are considering. In small frame revolvers, my current choices are Colt and the Taurus 856. Sure, they are a hair wider, but I find the extra round to be comforting. For general carry I prefer the 3" new Colt King Cobra or Taurus Defender. For deeper concealment, the aluminum alloy (16oz) Taurus 856UL with a 2" barrel, though if you prefer steel the .38spl Colt Cobra and .357mag King Cobra as well as the 856 are all available with a 2" barrel. The Colts have some of the best triggers I've ever tried in a small frame modern production revolver. The Taurus isn't bad. Of course, the Colt King Cobra isn't cheap, but you may find a Cobra around the price (or just a bit higher) than what you are looking at, and you may be able to get two Taurus 856s for the same price as the Ruger.

Limited to just what you mentioned, I strongly prefer S&W over Ruger, so that is the way I'd go.

I picked up a S&W 442-1 up in a local gun shop for $350. I already had a 442-2, but this one is virtually unfired and has no lock. Could not resist. Makes a dandy pocket carry revolver in a Sam Andrews holster.

Good Move. From personal experience, the Ruger LCR is very light, but hurt my hand when I fired it with normal (i.e., not +P) 38 special factory ammo. Lite does have a disadvantage.
I think you'll be happy with your choice.

LCR in 327 Federal Magnum.

327 Fed can be loud and some loads have a bit of recoil.

You can also shoot 32 H&R Magnum which has a light recoil and is arguably equal to 38 special.

Also shoots 32 S&W Long, 32 S&W Short and 32 acp.

Excellent trigger. Small and light. For me it is excellent for pocket carry. I wear Duluth Trading Cargo Pants and the LCR hides in those cargo pockets.

Good luck!

Six rounds.

I'm also in the 327/32 cal crowd, with the 327 LCR or LCRX along with plenty of ammo choices between 32 Short or Long / 32 H&R/ 327FED mag, you also get a 6th round to work with. I would love to add one to the collection.

I'm also in the 327/32 cal crowd, with the 327 LCR or LCRX along with plenty of ammo choices between 32 Short or Long / 32 H&R/ 327FED mag, you also get a 6th round to work with. I would love to add one to the collection.
I have the same arthritis problems. I'll also add myself to the .32 people. I pants pocket carry a KelTec .32 ACP in summer and an LCRX .327 Federal in my coat pocket in winter. I use .32 long or H&R (when I can find some), and .327 Fed if I can't find the others. 6 rounds, doesn't weigh down the pocket, decent performance if needed, and controllable recoil.

The MP 38 and the LCR are both lightweight guns which are going to recoil a fair amount. I would think the recoil would cause issue with older hands. I find the SP101 easy to grip almost like a goldilocks grip not too big or too small. I find the recoil soaked up by the weight. The fact that you own it but have money for another gun says you have money to buy a 1/2 case of wadcutters and another belt and maybe suspenders.

I don't own an SP101 currently and its one of my current regrets.

I would like an LCRX 3" in .327 Magnum too, and I would shoot .32 Long in it.
The trigger is very good, better than the S&W out of the box
and you can always thumb back the hammer.

My sister has the LCR in .38 Special, she likes it and I shot it side by side to my S&W 637-2 both are light and carry well, the trade off is shooting them. So I use a 105-gr FP-NLG bullet by ACME Bullets which pretty much feels like shooting a 22 in these light carry revolvers.

Just wanted to pass this along YMMV :cool:

As a wadcutter alternative, or handy for a speed strip or speed loaders consider the Hornady 110 or even 90 grain non plus p ammo.

In my 642, they recoil like a wadcutter. The 110 seems to expand and penetrate well in most testing I've seen.

repeating others’ sound advice here.

taurus 85/605/856: $300ish. wadcutters. reliable. if buying used handle first. new comes with lifetime warranty to original owner.

ruger lcr: over-long trigger reset leads to short-stroking leads to cylinder tie-up on double-taps. pass.

soft wadcutters rule: no true need for 38+p by most humble civilians. nobody’s infirmity and recoil tolerance improves with age. inexpensive, reliable, soft-shooting 38sp ammo usually available at https://cavalryammunition.com/. free shipping for veterans.

I recommend to anyone with problems in which recoil could pose an issue, that they get a Ruger LCR .327 and load it with at least .32 S&W Longs, or .32 H&R Magnums. the recoil is mild, you get an extra shot in the same J frame size package, and the LCR centerfire triggers are easier in my opinion than any S&W J frame.

Back