Old Colts

Trooper Joe

Cobra 1952

Detective Specials

This thing started by me buying that well worn but tight and accurate Colt Cobra. It had really crappy grips so I added a pair of aftermarket grips (real hard to find with the "long" grip frame/this gun was made about 1952).

Next a found a very nice 1966 era Cot Detective Special with the exposed ejector rod. A few weeks later, I found a 1973 era shrouded ejector rod model with very little wear on it.

I had one of these "D" frame Colts (it may have been an agent and maybe with a shrouded hammer) when I first started in police work in 1965 at the Lansing, Michigan police department.

I may carry the well worn Cobra since I can't do any more harm to the finish that what is already done. The shrouded Detective Special is definitely a keeper to show guys and shoot it at the range.

My local dealer has a nice 1971 Colt Police Positive I sold him last year and I may try to work out a trade for the exposed ejector rod Detective Special and some cash.

Kind of like these old Colts even though I have a real love affair with S&W J K and L frame revolvers.

Colt's new Cobra sort of got me going on these again as well as finding the old 1952 Cobra. If I do get the new Cobra which is stainless steel and rated for +P, I will try out the Buffalo Bore "FBI" load in it.

I guess I am getting sort of tired of all the plastic guns even though I carry (in my truck) a Glock 19 which I qualify annually with for my LEOSA (nation wide) carry permit.

Trooper Joe

Those are some nice DS you got there Trooper Joe. I like the ones with the shrouded cylinder pin.

Besides a handful of Civil War era Colts, my oldest is this 1978 SAA .357:

5eb358b94a97d80a1e04bdb70e8369695efbf45.jpg

Howdy

Did somebody say Old Colts?

New Service. 45 Colt, 1906 at the top, 44-40, 1907 at the bottom.

New%20Services%2045%20colt%20and%2044-40%2002_zpsyfqyudmb.jpg

Army Special, 38 Special, 1921.

Army%20Special%201921%2004_zps98lmznvs.jpg

Various Police Positive Specials. 1922-1952. Except the Police Positive Target, 22 LR, 1936 at the far right.

Police%20Positive%20Specials%2001_zpsafp5r8jt.jpg

Single Action Army, Bisley Model, 38-40, 1909.

bisley04_zps9adefab5.jpg

Official Police, 38 Special. Have not dated this one.

OfficialPolice02_zps4d506a73.jpg

Detective Special, 38 Special. Have not dated this one either.

detectivespecialrightside_zps525a5b35.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have too many old Colts. I do have a 5" Army Special in 38 Special stamped for the St. Louis PD. Dates to 1924.

standard.jpg

My most senior Colt is this Officers Model Target from 1909 with a post 1935 replacement barrel.

standard.jpg

A really terrible picture of a nice 1929 Police Positive Target .22

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_085621.jpg
    IMG_20160130_085621.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 25
A few of mine

Official Police 1943 vintage
Cold Pocket - 1912

For some reason i cant find a picture of my Trooper MK III or my Agent with the hammer shroud. Both look better than the two picture.

I received the Agent as a gift from my father in law. He purchased it in the navy fired two rounds through it and put it away in a safe he did not open till he learned of my interest in firearms.

For many years I had no interest in Colts. I was a dyed in the wool S&W man.

Then, a few years ago I was watching Public Enemies with Johnny Depp, and in a jailbreak scene he opens an arms locker and there's just row after row of Colt revolvers.

Something went snap in my brain and I decided that I needed to get some Colts.

I now have a Police Positive Special in .32-20 (Damned sweet!), an Official Police 6" in .38 Special, and a Police Positive in .32 New Police (.32 S&W Long).

I now have a Police Positive Special in .32-20 (Damned sweet!), an Official Police 6" in .38 Special, and a Police Positive in .32 New Police (.32 S&W Long).

Nice revolvers all, for sure (especially that Police Positive chambered in .32 New Police); all you need now to complete your "practical" (i.e., no Python) Colt revolver collection imo is a Cobra/Agent and a Officers Model Match/Officers Special. I'm kind of a closet Colt fan too, as my first and last loves when it comes to revolvers have Smith & Wesson stamped on the barrel. :)

This is the Police Positive...

Best date I've been able to find for it is 1935ish. It's in fantastic condition but for a chip out of the bottom rear of the left grip. I've seen a number of Colts with the exact same chunk out of the grips in the past. I'm wondering if it was a flaw or some sort of weakness...

406077753.jpg

This is the Official Police

I really like this particular revolver. The trigger is absolutely incredible.

400981464.jpg

Colt Police Positive, .38 Colt New Police, circa 1914 unfired. This gun was the property of A. E. Bargren, Chief of Police of Rockford, Illinois 1894 - 1940.

I will have to remember to upload the picture when I get home from work. I have an Army Special (IIRC) similar to Driftwood's, but the finish is more worn. I think mine was from the 20's also.

I read so much about how nice the triggers are on the old Colts that it seemed like I really "needed" to have one. Its sights and trigger are definitely better than those of my S&W 38 special from the same era. (That is my evaluation of those two specific examples; I'm not trying to make a general statement.)

Colt20Army20Special_zpse4xlhn1d.jpg

Last edited:
I bought this .32 New Police back in the 70's. It was part of a special run Colt did back then, a Detective Special old style, no shroud. I still have the original box and paperwork. I never did get around to shooting it.

Attachments

• DSd.jpg
    DSd.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 15
How can someone own a gun for more than a week and not shoot it?

I must have an illness because I get violently ill if I have not fired a gun within a week of buying it. I am usually out at the range the same day just to ward off the anxiety attacks. ;)

Back