Old bolt guns

Last fall my son knocked some pheasants out of the sky with a 12ga full choke bolt action shotgun. A JC Higgens that had been my grandfather's. My father took pheasants with it when he was on the farm, too. My son preferred the way it handled to the Rem 870. Yes, it is lighter than the Rem 870 so I can understand.

I am thinking I need to buy him a "beater" from a LGS, which has a 16ga version of the JC Higgens so my son doesn't shoot out grandpa's old bolt shotgun, as since we left the pheasants behind in Iowa, we have taken to knocking clay targets from the air.

But, I really wonder if that is a bad thing, to have my son shoot out my grandpa's shotgun?

Love them!! Lost a Marlin Super Goose Gun 10ga. in the house fire 4 years ago. I now have a Mossberg 185 in 12ga., and a Westernfield M1500 in .410 I found at local gun shop. Plan on getting a 20ga., and a 16ga. in bolt guns too.

I’ve got a Marlin Goose Gun in 12 gauge. It’s got a 3 foot barrel and full choke. It’s 2+1 with a removable mag. Very long gun and gun to play with.

Back