Old .22 long rifles great accuracy and value.

Memories

I like my Henry 001 for casual plinking, and I like the Ruger 10/22 with Techsights that I hope to use for Appleseed events. But my favorite .22LR still is one I don't have any more. My Dad gave me a used Remington 512 for Christmas when I was fifteen, when we couldn't afford it, because he knew my love for firearms. I kept it for years, and learned a lot about shooting by using it. It was stolen when we shipped our household goods to storage and I have never been able to replace it. I kept the bolt for a long while, hoping it would somehow attract the rest of the rifle back to me. I occasionally see a 512 at a gun show, or on the Internet, but I haven't replaced my first one.

At my club's smallbore prone match (1200) Saturday a shooter was using a Remington model 37 that he bought new in 1947 for $89.00. He used it to good effect scoring an 1190 73x on a rainy and very windy day. I sure hope I'm still shooting when I am 80 years of age like he is.

Roger

I have an old Winchester 1904 single shot bolt action that is very accurate and really easy to carry. It is chambered in 22short/22long and 22extra long. It has had 22LR shot though it long before I was born. I found an only box of 22 extra-long and they still chambered but I was afraid to fire any.

When I was about 12 my dad got me an H&R M12 through the CMP. All sorts of accurate, but it weighed a freaking ton.

Winchester 75 heavy barrel target. I have the original peep sights but 3 years ago I replaced them with a much better set.
I have had this gun for over 30 years and from it I learned trigger control. For the first 2 years I shot 50 rounds several times a week. ½ inch groups at 50 yards are easy with it.

Last edited:
A boatload of JCPenny rifles were also made by Marlin...and a few others...
Model Number is Highly Important...its how the cross references work...

So without a Model number, a PIC MUST BE POSTED for any realistic discussion on who made what!!

My skills aren't advanced enough to truly evaluate how accurate these rifles are.
The Savage .22 single shot was bought by a grandfather in the 40's to shoot squirrels in his yard. People have wanted to buy this gun, and tell me that rifle quality back then was better. I can't find info on any Savage website to date the serial #s. Is this possible?

My other .22 was found by a friend at a recent gun show, sold for $100, in really good condition.
The Romanian M-69 Trainers are reported to be fairly accurate. This one has a very bright bore and seems to be accurate.
One nice feature is the 5-rd. mag. from Taiwan, which seldom misfeeds.

The M-69's features make it appear to be a baby Mauser, and the sights are much better than the irons on my Yugo 48A Mauser.
I know nothing about 'uploading' photos.

Last edited:
Rembrandt, over the years I have always felt your screen name was approrpriate! :D

My oldest 22 rifle is a 1962 Remington 513-T. It shoots fine. I have handguns that are older in 22. I have always wanted to find a Remington M37 for a fair price and of course when I have the available funds to cover it. The two have not matched up yet.

My Dad's guns went to my brothers since they don't have the firearm inventory that I do. But I learned to shoot with a Remington 572. Then I got my own Mossberg. Money was tight back then.

One of the things that really appeal to me about the older 22 rifles is that almost all of them have walnut stocks and for the most part well made.

Back