Old 1858

gasmandave

A fellow came into a friends gunshop with and original 1858 Remington. He wants $1200. for it. You think its worth it. Looks real good for the age and could even be a shooter!

What do you all think?

The gunship owner is a friend, he liked up some of the markings said it was an army issue. Had the original flap holster with it but that was in bad shape. Said he thought it was worth $1800. I'm not a collector. I have the fellow phone # if any one is interested pm me and I'll send it.

Bore is dirty but not rusted, nipples are clear and chambers not rusty. Stiff when you cock the hammer, cylinder rotated okay but a little shy of the cylinder catch.

$1200-$1600 is what I usually see for them in good working order.

If that's the case then prices have really shot up the last few years. It wasn't that long ago I saw decent Colt's going for 1200-1400 and Remingtons were under 1000.

The last time I saw a Remington under $1000 was about three years ago and it was in really bad shape.

The gunshop owner believes it's authentic, so do I. If it's a defarb I'd be suprised. There is no serial numbers on it that I can see. You would really have to see it in person to get the idea. It is old and I believe it's the real deal.

Dave, can't tell by pictures if it's real or not. There are an awful lot of very clever and cunning forgeries out there.
I would say if it IS authentic, the price is reasonable, but I would never fork out that kind of dough without personally inspecting it.

The serial number is on the bottom flat of the barrel and on the grip frame under the grips. There should be an inspectors mark consisting of a single letter on all the major parts.

I would be wary of this one. Something just dosen't look right. Not quite sure what it is wrong about it. Maybe the front sight?

There should be a three line address on the top barrel flat.
The sight looks fine. The pinched/threaded front sight was the last change on the new models. It replaced the German silver cone that was dovetailed. It is shorter than most of the newer repros but is the correct height for an original or older repro.

There is a cartouche on the left grip. Don't remember seeing and writing on the barrel.the were 3(?) Marks on the pistol I could only make out the "P".

I don't know anything about original 1858s to have an opinion on the matter. I'll just say that the pictures aren't of sufficient quality to make out any meaningful detail.

Steve

I have one in similar (perhaps a little better) condition made in June 1864. The action seems perfect and I've given consideration to shooting it as well. The grips appear to have been repaired after someone likely poked a hole in them for a lanyard (see below).

Just FYI, these are known as "1858 Remingtons" due to the patent date, but the correct name is "Remington New Army". They are great guns that had three distinct advantages over the Colts of the day... top strap (stronger), easily changeable cylinder (they carried loaded spares) and notches between the chambers for the hammer to rest so it was safe to carry one fully loaded.

photo45_zps3fa3edec.jpg

but the correct name is "Remington New Army"

If we're going to pick nits the correct name is Remington New Model. Not going to get into it on carrying spares. Believe what you want.

Back